Jbot Do Something Already Part 2

GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Not what I said, but thanks for mis-communicating that.

More people post now because they have better access. Also there's probably more people aware of the site. 

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

But it's not what I said.

You said "internet hasn't changed as much as phones and services accessed by them" so the access is the key sticking point. More access equals more people. Probably it has also grown because more people are aware of it as well. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

More people post now because they have better access. Also there's probably more people aware of the site. 

If you read my previous post where I admitted that the internet had a big affect, then you could say I agree to a point that it made a difference. 

The internet was always there and people had access to it, just in a more limited way. The phones made that access more readily available at times where it wasn't prior.Such as the cashier at the grocery store tweeting/ texting/ talking to her BFF while cashing you out, or being able to access the internet while sitting in your car on break or hiding in the bathroom stall at work. The internet has only changed the speed in which that info is processed and the amount of info available, the phones have pretty much done the rest.

My real idea is based on when things are going well. If the team is winning and we don't need a 2C, GT is not in question, Sobotka is off the team, Risto talk is finally decided one way or another, HCRK is proven to be the "whisperer", and Botts gets over the ROR trade, ......will there be anything to talk about? Hence less posts.

I'm noticing less and less interest in this team..this year more than any I can remember.  There are some really good and spirited discussions on this forum, coming from a handful of members...but there seems to be very little buzz about this team anywhere else I look:

-at work, this is the first year ever that I have heard virtually no-one bring up the Sabres..or opening night...this far into the preseason

-In the past, my friends/relatives that are into sports would be sending me texts about the Sabres by now....nothing this year from any of them.

-2 close friends of mine really follow the Sabres, one had season tickets for years.  I saw them last weekend and there was some Bills talk, I brought up the sabres, one shook his head and the other one said something like "I don't care anymore until they start winning".

Not sure what the solution is....but people aren't even going to trust a 10 game winning streak anymore.

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm noticing less and less interest in this team..this year more than any I can remember.  There are some really good and spirited discussions on this forum, coming from a handful of members...but there seems to be very little buzz about this team anywhere else I look:

-at work, this is the first year ever that I have heard virtually no-one bring up the Sabres..or opening night...this far into the preseason

-In the past, my friends/relatives that are into sports would be sending me texts about the Sabres by now....nothing this year from any of them.

-2 close friends of mine really follow the Sabres, one had season tickets for years.  I saw them last weekend and there was some Bills talk, I brought up the sabres, one shook his head and the other one said something like "I don't care anymore until they start winning".

Not sure what the solution is....but people aren't even going to trust a 10 game winning streak anymore.

The team isn’t at an all-time low,  but belief in it is.

Absolutely, and without a doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Trettioåtta said:

Do many believe the team is any better than last year? Maybe 85 points and draft 8th again

I believe the team is better than last year, and I think many agree.

Its just that few think they’ve improved enough.

Your prediction of 85 points is about right and that marks improvement.

Frankly I think posts on here add a great deal to the negativity. Understandably we have not been successful as a team but hashing it over and over just makes it even worst. So, I have an idea. Have PA purchase the team as his critique of ownership is so concise. As GM maybe he could hire TruBlue and head of scouting I would vote for Flagg. I'm sure they have a good two year plan that would release us from this bondage of despair.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 2

I am finding it difficult to be enthusiastic about the near term prospects for this team as currently constructed.  There has been some roster surgery, but probably not enough for us to expect that this team will compete for a playoff spot in a tough division.  Unless Ullmark improves significantly, the goal tending is weak, our forwards are overall below average, and we don't have prospects in Rochester that we can safely say will form the nucleus of a strong team in the near future or that are ready to contribute immediately.  Not the ingredients for optimism and this comes after so many seasons of really poor results.

• Like (+1) 1

I've not been posting mostly because I don't have much positive to say about this team or what J-Bot has/hasn't done. If they start showing decent improvement and not look like the all around ***** show they've been for the past 6-7 years, maybe then I could find something nice to say. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I believe the team is better than last year, and I think many agree.

Its just that few think they’ve improved enough.

Your prediction of 85 points is about right and that marks improvement.

I think this is where I'm at.  I would be very surprised if this team wasn't better than last year baring injury (didn't really lose anyone and added Olofsson who I think is going to be very good, MJ, Miller, Joker and Vesey.  Any coaching we get this year should also be an upgrade.

At the same time there's a huge disappointment waiting because JBott didn't do enough.  I don't want 85 points, we need 95 and make the damn playoffs.  Been too long and it would be shocking if our forward group and potentially goal tending are good enough for that.

All these negatives waves, man.  A very wise man once said, 'stop with the negative waves'.

We must have hope.  Without hope all is lost.  We as a fanbase have been forced to deal with so much.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.  Finally, after drifting in the tank desert for what feel like 40 years.

Also, JBOT can't force another GM to take on Risto, or anyone else.  Unless, of course, he gave him away.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Frankly I think posts on here add a great deal to the negativity. Understandably we have not been successful as a team but hashing it over and over just makes it even worst. So, I have an idea. Have PA purchase the team as his critique of ownership is so concise. As GM maybe he could hire TruBlue and head of scouting I would vote for Flagg. I'm sure they have a good two year plan that would release us from this bondage of despair.

For what it’s worth, you’re on a crusade as well.  An equally unwinnable one.

2 hours ago, Radar said:

TruBlue would trade Skinner to the Loafs for a 7th rounder and the rights to Roger Clemens. And frankly, he should be fired immediately for that.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

All these negatives waves, man.  A very wise man once said, 'stop with the negative waves'.

We must have hope.  Without hope all is lost.  We as a fanbase have been forced to deal with so much.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.  Finally, after drifting in the tank desert for what feel like 40 years.

Also, JBOT can't force another GM to take on Risto, or anyone else.  Unless, of course, he gave him away.

I'm still holding out hope against hope that a Risto for Ehler's deal goes down. Or a Risto for Rakell deal. Like many others, not that I dislike Laine, but I'm just not sure on him, specifically the contract

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm still holding out hope against hope that a Risto for Ehler's deal goes down. Or a Risto for Rakell deal. Like many others, not that I dislike Laine, but I'm just not sure on him, specifically the contract

Buffalo adds a lot in both scenarios 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Frankly I think posts on here add a great deal to the negativity. Understandably we have not been successful as a team but hashing it over and over just makes it even worst. 

I usually look to and enjoy reading posters thoughts when they are well balanced, logical, not petty or immature in nature. When they post just as much positive as they do negative. I don’t take any fan seriously when it’s all one way or the other. It means some fans don’t have the ability to see and appreciate a good thing or bad thing when it happens with sports teams.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

TruBlue would trade Skinner to the Loafs for a 7th rounder and the rights to Roger Clemens. And frankly, he should be fired immediately for that.

Although I do hate Skinner, you should take solace in the fact I'd never willfully help my current most hated franchise. 

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I usually look to and enjoy reading posters thoughts when they are well balanced, logical, not petty or immature in nature. When they post just as much positive as they do negative. I don’t take any fan seriously when it’s all one way or the other. It means some fans don’t have the ability to see and appreciate a good thing or bad thing when it happens with sports teams.

I'm not sure how much value there is in balance for the sake of balance. I agree with wanting to look at things from a variety of perspectives, but the overall balance of content should reflect the underlying reality. On the other hand, I fully agree on the how of the argument mattering significantly. Style matters. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.