Fan Frustrations: Sabres Edition

LGR4GM

I think that I am less frustrated about where these team is right now and how they look than some of my fellow fans. They look about how I thought they would. This is because I firmly still believe that Bylsma had them playing garbage hockey and it is taking time to un learn it. Further I think 10 new bodies in blue n gold has taken time to gel. That said, what is most frustrating to you as a fan? The lack of improvement? Roster? Roster turnover? What is the single most frustrating thing about the team this year for you? Just pick one and let's see what happens. 

giphy.gif

My frustration is just the spinning wheels. It feels like hope is far away, although I thought they played almost a complete game Saturday. They deserved better. But stringing together a four or five game winning streak doesn't seem like something they can achieve. And Las Vegas isn't helping my frustration.

The frustration for me is knowing that so much of what we're dealing with now is still Darcy's fault. The guy drafted so badly for so long that regardless of the results of the tank our farm was a disaster. We're trying to build some depth now but it's going to take time and good drafting. We don't know yet if GMTM was any good at this, and we wont know for some time if Bots is either. 

The frustration for me is knowing that so much of what we're dealing with now is still Darcy's fault. The guy drafted so badly for so long that regardless of the results of the tank our farm was a disaster. We're trying to build some depth now but it's going to take time and good drafting. We don't know yet if GMTM was any good at this, and we wont know for some time if Bots is either. 

I'm beginning to think maybe not.

The contracts given to Moulson and, to a lesser degree, Okposo are not good.

His abilities as a talent evaluator, I'm sure, are good to very good. But I don't think he really knew how to manage assets and cap space.

I think that I am less frustrated about where these team is right now and how they look than some of my fellow fans. They look about how I thought they would. This is because I firmly still believe that Bylsma had them playing garbage hockey and it is taking time to un learn it. Further I think 10 new bodies in blue n gold has taken time to gel. That said, what is most frustrating to you as a fan? The lack of improvement? Roster? Roster turnover? What is the single most frustrating thing about the team this year for you? Just pick one and let's see what happens. 

giphy.gif

You can say this until you are blue in the face. You can put it in every single post and it still will not be true.-ShadowLiger

You can say this until you are blue in the face. You can put it in every single post and it still will not be true.-ShadowLiger

There's a difference between starting a thread where that belief matters and just randomly slapping that into threads because you want people to say you were right. For example, if you started a thread that was "Was that tank worth it? Revisiting the tank years" and stated you don't think the tank was worth it, that makes sense. See nuance is important. 

My frustration is with many fans not willing, or seemingly not willing, to give the players, coaches and management some time.

There has been much change in a short period of time.

That and it is very apparent that the roster is not quite where it needs to be yet, but that also takes time.

Just to be clear, why are you frustrated with a man that is slowly coming back from an extremely serious illness?

If he were currently injured I would not be frustrated. But he's not currently injured. He's playing. He's playing extremely poor hockey and it's unacceptable. He has 2 points in 10 games. Zero goals. That's not what he was brought here for. He's been a non factor in every single game this season and that's if I'm being polite. He's been an absolute burger if I'm not being polite.

There's a difference between starting a thread where that belief matters and just randomly slapping that into threads because you want people to say you were right. For example, if you started a thread that was "Was that tank worth it? Revisiting the tank years" and stated you don't think the tank was worth it, that makes sense. See nuance is important. 

I would bet that if you did a search for "bylsma" posted by ShadowLiger, you would find many threads where you tell us that Dan is/was garbage.

I disagreed with the tank then, and nothing has changed my mind about it since.

As to the thread, I'm really not that frustrated. They are just about where I would expect a team that has had this much turnover, with a new coach and GM, starting from as far down as they did. My only frustration comes the fact that people are still blaming Bylsma for us sucking. :D

GMTM drafted worse then Regier and that is saying something.

2014 - As it stands right now Sam is the only player we’ll get any production from this draft (9 picks including 3 2nd rd picks)

2015 - Borgen and Guhle may make this draft ok in then end besides Jack, but if truth be told, don’t expect much out of Borgen. The really awful thing about this year is that it was a very deep draft and TM only made 6 picks, 4 of which were after the 3rd rd. What makes this sad is that we had with 3 1st rd picks, 3 2nd rd and the top pick in the 3rd. TM pissed these picks away on the Lehner, failed/failing Kane, Fasching, and Neuvirth deals as well as the ROR deal. Miss use of assets is an understatement. Making 2 of 7 top 3 rd picks is unforgivable.

2016 - is a great unknown. Nylander, although talented, was the wrong selection as D was our most pressing need and the D he should have drafted Sergachev is now dominating in the NHL. Why was a forward a mistake? Because that was all TM was drafting and acquiring in the draft. In 2013 Regier drafted 4 forwards in the 2nd and 3rd rds. TM drafted 4 forwards in to start 2014, plus trading a D for 2 forwards in Fasching and Delo. Then Jack to start 2015 and then 3 more forwards to start 2016. Dumb. Only Guhle late in the 2nd in 2015. Don’t forget adding ROR and Kane in trade. A few other picks like Asplund and Pu show promise, but Asplund has never played in NA and Pu, whose draft slot and numbers are similar to Baptiste’s is taking a step back so far this season.

Despite drafting and acquiring all these forwards what do we to show for it? Jack and an overpaid ROR. Kane will be moving on. Sam is a mess. Way to go Timmy. Bottomline TM was incompetent as a GM; bad drafting, bad pro talent evaluation, bad trades, wasting of assets, terrible contract decisions and horrible cap management. No coaches system can succeed under those circumstances.

The Sabres have 29 goals this season and 77 pts. 17 from one line and most tied to one player, Jack (I’ve included Z’s goal when playing on Jack’s line). That leaves 12 goals from everyone else. Besides Pommers, the rest of Jbot’s acquistions (9 players) account for 3 goals and 11 pts. The news and improved D have zero goals and 12 pts. Outside Jack’s line, only ROR has added offense (8 pts) but is a -9.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

My expectations were higher than this. I thought they would be a .500 team.

I have not given up on the season, I've been a fan for too long. They better pick it up soon or the busiest thread will be the 2018 draft one.

The tough part is living in "Leafs Nation". You all know how that may feel.

My expectations were higher than this. I thought they would be a .500 team.

I have not given up on the season, I've been a fan for too long. They better pick it up soon or the busiest thread will be the 2018 draft one.

The tough part is living in "Leafs Nation". You all know how that may feel.

And ironically after a fast start the Leaves are getting roasted.

I might be way off, but isn't it pretty common to only have one player drafted on an NHL roster in the third season from when they are drafted?

It can take any where from the next season to 5 years, but most impact players develop quickly, except goalies. In can also become apparent pretty quickly whether someone is on a NHL track or not. Go look at Karabacek and Cornel. It’s pretty clear they are not on an NHL track. While guys like Montour and Dvorak, both drafted after Cornel and Karabacek are in the NHL and thriving.

I was expecting Phil to be different. Maybe because he was such a dynamic player, I was expecting, uh, dynamism in his coaching. Instead his bench demeanor and comments to the media are pretty much out of central casting. Not knowing what possession is, not pulling the goalie after scoring in Columbus, certain player usage, power play combos, make me wonder. Also, do we really see a team that is attacking with speed? SDS' suggestion that "speed' is basically lip service seems to be ringing true. Then again, as we saw head to head against a team like Columbus, the Sabres are slugs. (Sorry.)

If he were currently injured I would not be frustrated. But he's not currently injured. He's playing. He's playing extremely poor hockey and it's unacceptable. He has 2 points in 10 games. Zero goals. That's not what he was brought here for. He's been a non factor in every single game this season and that's if I'm being polite. He's been an absolute ###### burger if I'm not being polite.

Eeesh. This is not only unduly harsh, but it's analytically flawed.

From what we learned, the guy damn near died a few months ago. I'm eager to see him return to form, but the fact that he hasn't is very much understandable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.