NHL will miss a great player!

deluca67

I can't think of any other Blueliner I would pick before Stevens if I were starting a franchise. As solid and tough as they make them. He even had a bit of a scoring touch. Scoring over 20 while racking up 900 total points throughout the years.

Some may have scored more or prettier goals. No one, not even Orr, was as a complete player as Stevens.

He will be missed. :(

He will be missed, but I won't miss playing against him. I also would like to see NJ tank big time this year.

His best hits were on Lindros and Kariya in the neutral zone. Both were complete crushings. Although Kariya did return to score that amazing goal in the CUP FINALS.

Stevens was a fierce hitter for sure.

He will be missed, but I won't miss playing against him. I also would like to see NJ tank big time this year.

His best hits were on Lindros and Kariya in the neutral zone. Both were complete crushings. Although Kariya did return to score that amazing goal in the CUP FINALS.

Stevens was a fierce hitter for sure.

Agreed.

Going slightly off topic, now that Stevens is retired any guesses on when or if the NHL will make one of his signature hits (shoulder into other guy's head) illegal? It was legal when he did it, so I am not criticizing him; and boy, I wish more Sabres could do it. But if the league wants to reduce the number of concussions (which they claim they want to), making it illegal to hit someone else in the head -"cleanly" or otherwise- would be an effective way to do it.

And who knows, if the hit was illegal before, maybe Neanderthal Todd doesn't try to kill Steve Moore because Moore doesn't give Naslund a concussion by not hitting him as high as he did?

Dave.

he was one hell of a tank thats for sure... i just wish he would have stayed around a little longer to put lindross on his back again... just cuze he's a leaf.

That brings up a point. Who steps in to the number one spot as gfar as NHL blueliners go? Pronger? Linstrom? I don't see a clear #1.

That brings up a point. Who steps in to the number one spot as gfar as NHL blueliners go? Pronger? Linstrom? I don't see a clear #1.

I might go off the board with Jovanovski. He's at the age (29) when defensemen should take their game up a notch.

If I were putting together a defense, the guys I would want (in no particular order) would be Blake, Pronger, Jovanovski, Rafalski, Aucoin, and Chara. My seventh d, out of nostalgia's sake would be Warrener.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave.

I might go off the board with Jovanovski. He's at the age (29) when defensemen should take their game up a notch.

If I were putting together a defense, the guys I would want (in no particular order) would be Blake, Pronger, Jovanovski, Rafalski, Aucoin, and Chara. My seventh d, out of nostalgia's sake would be Warrener.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave.

Speaking of Warrener. I see Calgary may be in the market for McKee. I can't see the Sbares making that deal. What a PR nightmare that would be for the Franchise. It's one thing to be a feeder team to the likes of the Islanders. But Calgary is a small market team like the Sabres. Where does that put the Sabres? Below small market? That would also force them to pick up another hack blueliner to go with Teppo and the other guy known as Calgary's 8th best defenseman.

Speaking of Warrener. I see Calgary may be in the market for McKee. I can't see the Sbares making that deal. What a PR nightmare that would be for the Franchise. It's one thing to be a feeder team to the likes of the Islanders. But Calgary is a small market team like the Sabres. Where does that put the Sabres? Below small market? That would also force them to pick up another hack blueliner to go with Teppo and the other guy known as Calgary's 8th best defenseman.

ugh yea ugly situation there... it would be damn good for calgary to have those old d-linemates... but for us it would be a nightmare like you said... Mckee cannot go there... plus what would we get back... peanuts???

ugh yea ugly situation there... it would be damn good for calgary to have those old d-linemates... but for us it would be a nightmare like you said... Mckee cannot go there... plus what would we get back... peanuts???

It is a bit of an insult to a player who has given alot to the organIzation. But that is who the "New Sabres" are. Damn the players and damn the fans. They are going to cut costs and limit any long term investments. Rare will be the contract that takes a player past free agency unless that player is willing to take well below market value. ;)

Do you like the new pre season prices? What a great way to reduce revenue. Just another step to ensure a bottom eight finish in revenue. Add that to the poor product they will be putting on the ice and the casting away of any name players and the Sabres are well on their way. :angry:

Where have gone John Muckler? A Sabres Nation turns it's lonely eyes to you. :(

By the way. Sabre camp opens. Can you feel the electricity? Darcy really knows how to get the fans into a frenzy :lol:

Where have gone John Muckler? A Sabres Nation turns it's lonely eyes to you. :(

LOL... i wasn't around in that era... i wasn't really a hockey fan (more nascar) but from what i hear those were the days... back when we used to make moves that made sense... but ya know right about now... ill take any move... even if it doesn't make senes... just do something!

Archived