OT - Auto Insurance

darksabre

I'm debating switching insurance companies. I've been with Nationwide for over a decade but I'm paying $120/mo right now on my '14 Impala and I don't like it. For the same coverage Geico is quoting me $66/mo. That's significant. 

Nationwide wants me to deal with my local agent who: A. I never use and B. Is in Rochester. 

So I have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to see if they can even do anything for my rates. They wouldn't do anything over the phone. It's 2017!

I'm half tempted to just sign up with Geico and kick Nationwide to the curb. 

Anyone have Geico? What do you think of it? How are your rates? Do they raise them on you regularly? 

Edited by darksabre

Two thumbs up. However, I recenty LEFT Geico after approximately 12 years with them.

Rates crept up in the later years. I received an offer from another company that was nearly 1/3 less. I called Geico and said I’d stay if they even came close.

LOL, they let me walk. I had an agent say that was part of the strategy .. that is, raise rates slightly year after year and enjoy premium pricing until a client discovers it ... and then, let ‘em walk. I have no idea if that’s true.

I do know it’s top notch service. I’ve insured six ... teenagers, included!

You’ll be happy. Get quotes from competitors every few years.

Two thumbs up. However, I recenty LEFT Geico after approximately 12 years with them.

Rates crept up in the later years. I received an offer from another company that was nearly 1/3 less. I called Geico and said I’d stay if they even came close.

LOL, they let me walk. I had an agent say that was part of the strategy .. that is, raise rates slightly year after year and enjoy premium pricing until a client discovers it ... and then, let ‘em walk. I have no idea if that’s true.

I do know it’s top notch service. I’ve insured six ... teenagers, included!

You’ll be happy. Get quotes from competitors every few years.

I definitely read that as "injured".

3 years ago I switched from Nationwide after many years with them.  I checked many insurance companies including Geico but ended up going with Liberty Mutual.  They're rates were competitive to Geico and I've been very happy with them.  From what I can remember Geico was cheaper for a simple, basic coverage policy but at the time I had 3 cars with one being driven by my daughter going to college and as I added more and more coverage options onto the policy eventually I was able to do better with Liberty Mutual. 

Just a thought.

We both insure our cars through Geico. Never filed a claim (knock on wood) so I can’t share personal experience there. Bur for standard coverage, Geico was definitely the best price. You can also bundle renters insurance through one of their affiliates and get a small discount.

We both insure our cars through Geico. Never filed a claim (knock on wood) so I can’t share personal experience there. Bur for standard coverage, Geico was definitely the best price. You can also bundle renters insurance through one of their affiliates and get a small discount.

I never paid more than $128/month with Geico. And that's after wrecking a car in spectacular fashion and having more points on my license than the sabres accumulate in a season. I think I was something like $110/month when I left them.

But Nationwide is actually cheaper for me, currently.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this back up because of my post in the Complaint thread. It took Nationwide 3 weeks to switch my local office and after all of that they couldn't find ANY way to reduce my rates that didn't consist of me adding renters insurance (which I don't need) to my policy. I want to be under $100/mo for coverage on my '14 Impala and they simply cannot get me there. 

So I guess I'm switching to Geico? I don't know, Nationwide didn't seem to be able to make an argument for why I should stay with them and pay the rate I'm paying. 

It may be worth shopping around, but it could be that if you're carrying collision insurance, a 2014 Impala has a high cost to repair.  My wife had a Ford Taurus and it was the most expensive car to insure at about $100 per month.... she was more expensive to insure that my son was in a Hyundai Elantra, and he was under 25.

Bumping this back up because of my post in the Complaint thread. It took Nationwide 3 weeks to switch my local office and after all of that they couldn't find ANY way to reduce my rates that didn't consist of me adding renters insurance (which I don't need) to my policy. I want to be under $100/mo for coverage on my '14 Impala and they simply cannot get me there.

So I guess I'm switching to Geico? I don't know, Nationwide didn't seem to be able to make an argument for why I should stay with them and pay the rate I'm paying.

Switch. Save. No ragrets.

Have you considered contacting an independent insurance broker?  We ended up with a better price with a company we hadn't considered previously after we enlisted the help of a broker.

There's two different ways to do business with Nationwide - via the agents or Nationwide Direct.  Nationwide royally pissed me off after my wreck in January, and I swore I'd change, but I can't find anyone that comes remotely close to what we pay for 3 cars + a 16 year old driver ($305/mo.) via Nationwide Direct.  When I started with Nationwide Direct 3 years ago, they were by far the cheapest and still are.  Closest I can come to is around $500/mo.  I don't have an agent I can go to if something goes wrong, instead I deal with a call center, but in 8 years with my previous company (Erie), I never dealt with the agent once, so no big loss IMO.

If that's not an option since you're already an account holder, I definitely recommend an independent agent.  I worked with one for a few years in college and was amazed at some of the lower rates available vs. the big companies.

Bumping this thread because Nationwide decided to f*ck me and raise my premium by $300/yr because my 5 year old car no longer qualifies for their "new car discount". I'm paying $150/mo now. GTFO with that.

When I was a kid *shakes fist* your rates went DOWN as a car got older, not UP.

Thankfully my local Nationwide office closed and they transferred me to their Direct office, so at least I can get those agents on the damn phone. Not that it matters much.

Have been with GEICO for well over a decade.  Being a former federal employee (GEICO stands for Government Employees Insurance Company), I got a good discount that carried through into retirement.  Haven't found anywhere cheaper but haven't really looked in years.  You can save even more to bundle insurance.  I have Auto, Renters, Homeowners, Jewelry rider, and Umbrella. 

One "claim" being a windshield chip repair.  No hassle at all and at no cost.  The app is good.   

My good friend is an insurance agent and I've told him no way I'm leaving GEICO. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.