[Game Day] Sabres @ Senators 7:00PM

SabresBeat

um, not much i can predict here...

I guess we might win. we might lose.

Lydman will give the puck away at least once on a weak pass though. I'll predict that.

I don't understand Lydman. At the beginning of the season he was brutal, then paired with Tallinder, the two of them were as good as any pairing in the NHL and during this slump, they have been horrible.

Sabres somehow manage a 4-3 OT win!!!

Lydman will give the puck away at least once on a weak pass though. I'll predict that.

Haha, and I'll add to that prediction that the pass will be right in front of our own net.

I think Buffalo will come out flying tonight and in fact play a similar game to the one that worked for them on Wednesday....be aggressive and not timid against this team. We didn't give them much respect last game, and although it sucked that we had to come back bascially 3 times in the game, it worked out in the end. I say 4-3 Buffalo

The PP goal there was a great illustration of what's wrong with our defense...."Loodman" goes into the corner, wayyyy out of position, and "Talleeender" makes an abosolute bonehead move leaving the front of the net to pressure Alfredsson....who makes no mistake with a great pass

What a different team from last night. Overall good game. Lots of hustle, some decnet hitting. Still some mistakes, but strong overall.

Even Ryan actually played a very good game, like the Ryan that played before the break.

I would have started marty tonite after Ryan's poor game last night. But then, that's why Lindy is the coach and not me......

A few observations/statistics:

1. according to the AP, this was the 1st time all season that Ottawa has given up 6 goals in a game.

2. we have 9 players with 40 or more points.

3. I love the Connolly-max-kotalik line. That quick return pass max made to connolly on TC's 1st goal was beautiful, as were Connolly's move to score on that goal and 4 or 5 other moves he had tonight.

4. connolly has 51 points in 59 games. previous career high was 45 points in 82 games.

5. I think Miller starts on Wednesday and I'm predicting another very strong game.

6. We can and will beat Ottawa in a playoff series if Miller plays well. I don't care if they don't have all of their guys right now. They haven't seen our best game either. If we play well it will be a great, exciting, skating series (although if Emery hits the skids like Miller did after the break ottawa might get cashed out in the 1st round, which would be very sweet for us).

7. I thought Vanek played his (lately) typical crappy game, but he got 13:33 of ice time and had 2 assists.

8. When Hecht returns, we will have 7 forwards competing for the 3 spots on the 4th line: Gaustad, Vanek, Mair, Pominville, Pyatt, Peters and Novotny (or has Novotny returned to Rochester?).

Go Sabres. I feel another huge roll coming on.

I feel pleasantly surprised this evening...I thought it was a very honest effort by the Sabres, against a team that was pretty banged up. Even still, the Sabres were able to capitalize and played one of their more complete games since the Olympic break.

I didn't think that Vanek neccessarily played a crappy game...he had two nice assists, though he did seem lost at times and appeared content with just floating at others. I think Thomas tends to "look" worse when on the ice with a guy like Gaustad, whose legs just never stop moving. Vanek plays a very different role than Gaustad does, so to compare the two is unfair, but I think a result of them being on the ice together makes it look like Vanek isn't skating hard.

Anyways...this was the 4th game that I really liked the way we played defensively, which I feel is a good sign.

Finally...

WELCOME BACK RYAN MILLER.

He finally was the difference in a game - in a positive sense. Ballsy move by Lindy to start Miller vs both Philly and Ottawa. I think that by doing so, he confirmed that Ruff (and the organization's top brass) feel that Miller will be THE guy for the postseason. It's moves like these that make me feel so appreciative that we have Ruff here.

Anyways...I'm out to booze it up a little bit...nice game by the boys tonight!

i missed the game as i was watching my beloved badgers win another ncaa championship, but what a nice surprise. i refused to watch the ticker reporting the scores because i didn't want to be upset about the sabres during the uw game. :rolleyes:

Lucky, lucky Badgers during those last 10 seconds but congrats!

Tonight was just one of those nights that I was happy that I have Tivo. I drove down to Camden to see Death Cab for Cutie play, and that was just a great game to come back and watch...even if it kept me up this late. I hope that Miller builds on this strong performance and comes back to the form we were used to before the Olympic break.

this team will be fine if miller can build off of this and the defense get rested. lydman and mckee were playing tired and overworked. kalinin was brutal again but did score that sweet goal as a trailer on a rush. Great end to the weekend and beginning of a 3 day break.

Tonight was just one of those nights that I was happy that I have Tivo.

Even though the level of insight and commentary on these boards is consistently very high, I'd like to urge EVERYONE to get Tivo for the stretch run and playoffs. It will help us all take it up a notch. It costs very little and allows you to (i) NEVER miss a game and (ii) use instant replay, slow motion, etc. to let you see, for example, which forward dug in and backchecked to break up an opponent's rush, who made a great pass from our zone to the offensive blue line, deflections, saves, penalties, etc. etc. It's just a sports fan's best friend (esp. in hockey where the action moves so fast and there are relatively fewer replays).

Go Sabres.