GDT: Sabres at Bruins, 7pm 10-21-17

Eleven

The internet isn't a democracy.  It's a big high school, and people act accordingly.

As for Pokey, I find his posts needlessly pessimistic for someone who's supposed to be a fan, but that's not unique on this forum.  What is off-putting though is the "know-it-all" stance he takes, and if you don't agree with him, you don't know hockey.  Or something.  It's like he's purposely trolling the forum, then pleads victimhood when people call him on it.  I've pretty much got him on mental Ignore; thinking about formalizing it.

This is so old, and very SabreSpace-y. Pessimists on a message board can't be real fans. This place is for "hard cheering" and rah rah-ing. Such people are trolls and should be ignored, the name calling and personal attack meant to silence. Thing is, I don't think it will work on Pokey, this season's clear best new poster.

Take it from me, Pokey. This is how you know you're doing it right.

Show of hands. Who'd be in favor of getting rid of post counts? That's what I meant by democratic, LTS. Post count shouldn't make any difference in how a post is evaluated. In an ideal Internet forum, nor should gender, age, socio-economic status, location etc.

This is so old, and very SabreSpace-y. Pessimists on a message board can't be real fans. This place is for "hard cheering" and rah rah-ing. Such people are trolls and should be ignored, the name calling and personal attack meant to silence. Thing is, I don't think it will work on Pokey, this season's clear best new poster.

Show of hands. Who'd be in favor of getting rid of post counts? That's what I meant by democratic, LTS. Post count shouldn't make any difference in how a post is evaluated. In an ideal Internet forum, nor should gender, age, socio-economic status, location etc.

This is when Pennywise looks you straight in the face from your tv screen and starts talking to you.

Take it from me, Pokey. This is how you know you're doing it right.Show of hands. Who'd be in favor of getting rid of post counts? That's what I meant by democratic, LTS. Post count shouldn't make any difference in how a post is evaluated. In an ideal Internet forum, nor should gender, age, socio-economic status, location etc.

Nobody cares about post counts. No way is Pokey a victim. He knew what he was doing when he was chumming the water, posting the same thing in every thread, and here we are talking about him. How about we just get back to talking hockey.

I have watched that third period and overtime 5 times now. What fun. A sign of good things to come. Just need a touch more talent.

Don't think post count matters, what matters is understanding and context.

If Qwk knocks out two weeks of posts that generally piss me off, I'm still going give those posts serious consideration because I've been reading his stuff for years and he's had a lot of good takes and a way of looking at things that I appreciate.

If I've never read any of his stuff except those two weeks, I'm probably going to be saying "what's up with that guy?"

Either way, the board will call him on it, but you will get a harder time if you are a new guy.

It's part of earning your cred and part of what makes this board good. The posters who stick around are worth your time.

Lots of people post the same thing in different threads. Lots of people go off topic in a thread. Only newer people get called on it. Its no big deal. This board is fine but its not any different to any other. All kinds of people some knowledgeable some not some who played the game some who just read books. Any time a newer voice shows up to any board and changes the familiar dynamic in any way it annoys some old time posters. If the old guard doesn't successfully chase them away and the new voice starts arguing with them enough it'll get ugly and then some veteran will grandstand a (temporary) exit saying something like "this place isn't what it used to be" hoping to make the inferences clear and gain backroom support to force the guy out. Its all very boring really and hardly new. Seen this happen to lots of people in lots of places. So let's drop it ok?

I'm not going to be a victim but after years of team futility I am a cranky old bastard and I'm not going to stop bitching until they start winning. 

Love my posts, hate my posts, ignore my posts, whatever you prefer as an individual but if you just want to talk about me or make sarcastic comments etc. it says more about you than me. I really don't give a flying f...

So, let's just talk hockey ok?

Take it from me, Pokey. This is how you know you're doing it right.Show of hands. Who'd be in favor of getting rid of post counts? That's what I meant by democratic, LTS. Post count shouldn't make any difference in how a post is evaluated. In an ideal Internet forum, nor should gender, age, socio-economic status, location etc.

Lolz. I don’t even look at avatars anymore

Right? I only notice if ppl change them after years of the same.

Later this year... when I upgrade my PC.. I am going to make a heavy metal backing track for that.

Through some iron man behind it and hell ya

Just for the record, what i said after the game is no different than what Lehner and O'Reilly are saying right here:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/22/showing-pulse-sabres-know-need-come-life/

So I guess they aren't fans either :)

BINGO:  That's it- that's what's so annoying about you.  It's not what's right or wrong.... it's that YOU'RE right.  Well you, Pokey.  You're now on my ignore list.

Post counts have nothing to do with it. 

Nobody cares about post counts. No way is Pokey a victim. He knew what he was doing when he was chumming the water, posting the same thing in every thread, and here we are talking about him. How about we just get back to talking hockey.

Amen, bro. :beer:

We all need some Midol and a Hershey bar.... I don't mind reading Pokeys stuff, he's clearly not sold on what he's seeing and I'm inclined to agree.... I've been here for quite some time, I don't post a crap ton, but lurk daily. Yeah he's a bit more muddled/pessimistic about things.... But there have been farrrrr worse posters in here.

Right now, our team sucks, let's call it how it is, some are optimistic some not so much, and I'm personally trying to not sucked into what the Sabres have done before, I'm still a fan, but a cautious one. It's like getting cheated on... You try damn hard to not drag your past into another relationship.... But damn it's always there isn't it.

I'll go to the wings game (first of the year) and cheer.

Here's to tenative hope

And to pessimism.... It's all acceptable!

Agreed.  I don't look at post counts.

And generally I don't look at these either.

There are people who push a narrative regardless of the conversation.  This is the real problem and it has nothing to do with when you joined the forum.

See I was right. Chickenhead just proved it. Pity he won't see this now cause I'm on his ignore list. but he will, cause I won't be cause it's the internet and he just wont' be able to help himself. My money's on him to be the guy who fake quits in disgust. lolz.

There is really no reason for this post

Agreed.  I don't look at post counts.

And generally I don't look at these either.

There are people who push a narrative regardless of the conversation.  This is the real problem and it has nothing to do with when you joined the forum.

You push a narrative. Most do. What's the problem?

Eh he's just making sure we all know how right he is again

The overriding point is that the new poster gets criticized for doing this, but not the longtime poster. We all toot our own horns. Especially ShannonBannon. That guy. Oy.

There is really no reason for this post

Correct.

Eh he's just making sure we all know how right he is again

This one probably wasn't needed either though.

You push a narrative. Most do. What's the problem?

Well, I suspect you already knew this, but the problem, if there is one, arises in how and how often the narrative is pushed.

Narrative is just a derogatory term for opinion.

And I’d say all of the regular posters here post theirs often. And I don’t think negative “how” is limited to those with contrarian opinions. Some of out most sacred cow posters have been guilty of it plenty of times.