GDT: Sabres at Bruins, 7pm 10-21-17

Eleven

Here's the thing, this team doesn't look any different from last year with respect to attitude and preparedness. Sure, they looked good last night, if I'm to take everyone's word for it. But can they do it for a few games in a row? Or do they come out against Detroit looking as disinterested as ever?

I'm bored with the occasional good effort. It doesn't mean anything if they can't do it regularly. They're just BSing us until they turn that corner.

Troof.

If ROR has turned the corner and brings it every night like he did last night, that will go a long way in this crucial aspect.

BTW: I’m nominating LTS as SabreSpace MVP for the first 9 games. Like ROR working the boards last night, he’s been relentlessly bringing the optimism while the rest of us fragile little children have been hiding under the bed from the big bad crappy start to the season.

Well done sir.

”Please dont let your facts be confused with reality...” they are 2-5-2... not good..., but there is hope and I don't think its an oncoming train. Puliott if he can keep it up, loving Bailey’s speed and hustle.. McCabe Antipin nice 2 nd pair and whoever not injured as third pair but the sooner Tennyson gets sent down the better.

Troof.

If ROR has turned the corner and brings it every night like he did last night, that will go a long way in this crucial aspect.

We know O'Reilly starts slow. I'm not sure I'm okay with that, but we know it's a thing. I wonder what it does for the team morale to know their best defensive center is gonna be crap for 10 games?

So watch the weather from there.  They've gotten pretty good at saying exactly where tornadoes are and where they're going.

I tried looking but I couldn't find a site that was saying anything about the one that formed yesterday, and then i got spooked and ditched the laptop to go into the apartment below mine on the first floor. 

I tried looking but I couldn't find a site that was saying anything about the one that formed yesterday, and then i got spooked and ditched the laptop to go into the apartment below mine on the first floor.

You need to get a real phone and a tornado tracker app. We keep tabs on Josie's family during tornado season with the app.

BTW: I’m nominating LTS as SabreSpace MVP for the first 9 games. Like ROR working the boards last night, he’s been relentlessly bringing the optimism while the rest of us fragile little children have been hiding under the bed from the big bad crappy start to the season.

Well done sir.

:blush:

Here's the thing, this team doesn't look any different from last year with respect to attitude and preparedness. Sure, they looked good last night, if I'm to take everyone's word for it. But can they do it for a few games in a row? Or do they come out against Detroit looking as disinterested as ever?

I'm bored with the occasional good effort. It doesn't mean anything if they can't do it regularly. They're just BSing us until they turn that corner.

This team can score goals compared to last year.  We'll see if they can bring some confidence into the Red Wings game and start a little hotter.  Let's be real here.  If you were out there sucking it up on the ice and losing and feeling that pressure would you look forward to playing the next game?  Perhaps.  But I would guess not as much as you would if you were on a 5 game winning streak and things were going your way.

Teams have confidence against the Sabres and are playing looser than perhaps they would elsewhere because the Sabres have shown some to be lacking confidence.  If they can roll the change the other way it will get better.  I think they will.

Nice post, love the info.

The shot at my man Beaulieu is off base, IMO but that's my only complaint

Goaltending is our weak spot if you ask me

Goaltending is weak, but the D has been the biggest culprit.  Even that first goal could be avoided if they move bodies from the net.  Part of the problem is that Housley has them jumping a D into the play to attack as 4.  With the D activating they are leaving opposing players behind them with the goalie.  Any turnovers could come back to bite them.  Also, they are still learning defensive zone coverage.  I believe Housley has modified that a bit to get the wingers up the boards a bit further and push the D out of the zone.  As such they are still not transitioning their zone coverage and when they do gain control in their own zone the forwards are not moving as quick as they need to get the puck out.  

And there's the confidence.  I don't think Bealieu has shown anything more than Antipin and Tennyson at this point.  If they can pan out and become productive that's great but right now those 3 are normally 6,7,8,9 on most D depth charts.

We won. 1 game. Against a backup goalie. And had to come back from 3 goals down twice. Glad we won. But until they play 60 minutes like they play 20 minutes, it's superfluous.

No team plays 60 minutes like the way they can going full bore for 20. It just doesn't happen. "Have to play 60 minutes" is a meme-level myth.

No team plays 60 minutes like the way they can going full bore for 20. It just doesn't happen. "Have to play 60 minutes" is a meme-level myth.

Did I say full bore? No I didn't. But when you play 40 minutes getting your face caved in that's not good enough.

Well done sir.

LTS is the best poster on this board and has been for years.

I am of course happy that the good guys won, but a dose of reality is needed here: the Sabres are 5 straight wins away from a typical playoff-caliber points-per-game pace of 1.15.

Multiple times during the past two seasons, we've seen spirited comeback wins. None ever amounted to any sustained success. 

Having said this, there are a couple important silver linings moving forward: 

1. The team does, in fact, have a pulse.

2. O'Reilly is getting his mojo back.

This is clearly looking like another draft lottery year to me. I've stopped watching games since the Devils debacle, but I still closely follow the team. There are only 7 guys on the roster that I care to keep track of: Eichel, Kane, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Okposo, Ristolainen, and Lehner. Their performances between now and March will largely dictate the future direction of this franchise.

The biggest thing that some posters don't notice is that Sabrespace doesn't hate negative takes. A guy like Liger in this thread for example, comes in and is quite unimpressed and says as much. He doesn't get jumped on, aside from a True nitpick that didn't take away from the original point which he likely agrees with.

The difference between Liger and the poor posters that get jumped on and meet resistance is that Liger doesn't speak down to posters, as if we're all dumb for being happy, and missing some of their wisdom. This usually is shown in the form of a poster telling us exactly how we should feel after a loss or a win or anything that happens to this franchise, or that we all "need a dose of reality". Or an "I told you all and you said I was wrong" post about a generic, unoriginal opinion that was spewed into dozens of threads on a daily basis.

We understand reality. We're watching this team too. We just enjoy when our favorite hockey team wins. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Nah, I'm not doing what you claim. I've just been burned too many times by this team showing a brief flash and then crashing back to reality I can't do that any more. String a few good efforts in a row together and then we can talk seriously about turning a corner. 

Quite fair, as long as you do indeed talk seriously about turning a corner if they deliver a few good ones in a row.

I am of course happy that the good guys won, but a dose of reality is needed here: the Sabres are 5 straight wins away from a typical playoff-caliber points-per-game pace of 1.15.

Multiple times during the past two seasons, we've seen spirited comeback wins. None ever amounted to any sustained success. 

Having said this, there are a couple important silver linings moving forward: 

1. The team does, in fact, have a pulse.

2. O'Reilly is getting his mojo back.

This is clearly looking like another draft lottery year to me. I've stopped watching games since the Devils debacle, but I still closely follow the team. There are only 7 guys on the roster that I care to keep track of: Eichel, Kane, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Okposo, Ristolainen, and Lehner. Their performances between now and March will largely dictate the future direction of this franchise.

Yes indeedly.  The ROR resurrection is a very important development for the franchise.

Now he just needs to awaken KO.

The biggest thing that some posters don't notice is that Sabrespace doesn't hate negative takes. A guy like Liger in this thread for example, comes in and is quite unimpressed and says as much. He doesn't get jumped on, aside from a True nitpick that didn't take away from the original point which he likely agrees with.

The difference between Liger and the poor posters that get jumped on and meet resistance is that Liger doesn't speak down to posters, as if we're all dumb for being happy, and missing some of their wisdom. This usually is shown in the form of a poster telling us exactly how we should feel after a loss or a win or anything that happens to this franchise, or that we all "need a dose of reality". Or an "I told you all and you said I was wrong" post about a generic, unoriginal opinion that was spewed into dozens of threads on a daily basis.

We understand reality. We're watching this team too. We just enjoy when our favorite hockey team wins. 

I assume this was partly directed at my post (#492)?

My sincerest apologies.

Maybe it was just terrible wording on my part, as I don't have a problem with fans finding joy in a Sabres win nor do I think I have any unique insight into the team that others here are missing.

Most of you are very smart. You know a lot about the team and hockey. I want to be happy about the win, I just don't feel that attachment yet. Too long in the wilderness I suppose.

Glad we won. Let's try for 2 games where we play at say 80% the entire game.

I assume this was partly directed at my post (#492)?

My sincerest apologies.

Maybe it was just terrible wording on my part, as I don't have a problem with fans finding joy in a Sabres win nor do I think I have any unique insight into the team that others here are missing.

I realize how that came off, and I really wasn't pointing it at you, even if I used your phrasing. There have been people bringing that type of talk with an incredibly superior tone lately so I felt like saying something. 

My apologies. 

I realize how that came off, and I really wasn't pointing it at you, even if I used your phrasing. There have been people bringing that type of talk with an incredibly superior tone lately so I felt like saying something. 

My apologies. 

Superior tone? You mean every post ever about analytics ever?

My apologies. 

No, it's pointed at me. And its BS. The reality is newer people on sports boards always get the ire if they don't post popular agreement and they often leave as a result. If they stick around over time they get accepted more as long time members start to understand their style and tone more. It's just the usual internet crap. I've seen that from both sides it's no big deal. I'm too old to give a toss either way. 

As for "superior tone" I see that all over - especially from people who think their tone is superior enough to identify the superior tone of others. Being here for a long time doesn't make you dumber, doesn't make you smarter, it just makes you more accepted. Again, it's just the internet, a colossal waste of time. 

I'd rather talk about the team but if anyone prefers to talk about tones and personalities and whatever enjoy yourselves I will ignore it for the most part. None of it matters.