GDT: Sabres at Bruins, 7pm 10-21-17

Eleven

No, it's pointed at me. And its BS. The reality is newer people on sports boards always get the ire if they don't post popular agreement and they often leave as a result. If they stick around over time they get accepted more as long time members start to understand their style and tone more. It's just the usual internet crap. I've seen that from both sides it's no big deal. I'm too old to give a toss either way. 

As for "superior tone" I see that all over - especially from people who think their tone is superior enough to identify the superior tone of others. Being here for a long time doesn't make you dumber, doesn't make you smarter, it just makes you more accepted. Again, it's just the internet, a colossal waste of time. 

I'd rather talk about the team but if anyone prefers to talk about tones and personalities and whatever enjoy yourselves I will ignore it for the most part. None of it matters.

That's not true at all. Especially here.

While it may be true that new folks need to prove their mettle to established members before their opinions are accepted as legit takes by old timers, if anyone new comes here that no one knows and immediately shows they know hockey they will be instantly accepted by the core and senior members here. There isn't any elitism here at all as far as I can see. If you know hockey you're accepted immediately. If you're a dick or know it all you're seen and exposed as a dick or know it all immediately. And even if you're a disk if you prove to add substance to the board you will be accepted.

I'm not a hockey fan that knows the game like any of the top 100 guys here. But these bastards know the game and the team and aren't keeping newbies out of the community one bit. Post smart you're immediately accepted. Be a dick you're immediately ostracized.

That's not true at all. Especially here.

While it may be true that new folks need to prove their mettle to established members before their opinions are accepted as legit takes by old timers, if anyone new comes here that no one knows and immediately shows they know hockey they will be instantly accepted by the core and senior members here. There isn't any elitism here at all as far as I can see. If you know hockey you're accepted immediately. If you're a dick or know it all you're seen and exposed as a dick or know it all immediately. And even if you're a disk if you prove to add substance to the board you will be accepted.

I'm not a hockey fan that knows the game like any of the top 100 guys here. But these bastards know the game and the team and aren't keeping newbies out of the community one bit. Post smart you're immediately accepted. Be a dick you're immediately ostracized.

"Know hockey" is the operative term. If a first post is a legitimate knock on Eichel, what do you think the response is going to be?

What I'd like to see is no distinction between a first post and a 10,000th post. The Internet is supposed to be democratic that way. If a first post is crappy, no need to jump. We all post crap.

"Know hockey" is the operative term. If a first post is a legitimate knock on Eichel, what do you think the response is going to be?

What I'd like to see is no distinction between a first post and a 10,000th post. The Internet is supposed to be democratic that way. If a first post is crappy, no need to jump. We all post crap.

Kelly's right. I've been around here awhile and look at ire directed at me last year for "being a contrarian."

Idk, I have been bitching about Eichel's floating for 3 years now. This year he seems to be better but still. 

Here's the thing, if you come in with a view different from posters who post a lot, are they just not supposed to continue posting a lot?  Say 10 posters who think the sky is blue are here. A new guy shows up and claims the sky is yellow. Of course that new guy is going to feel like everyone is against him. There are 10 posters, who post frequently, who disagree.  

IMHO, Pokey's entitled to his pessimism and to post it in conversation. 

He's perhaps done so a bit too often, but not that much, and I haven't found his tone to be off-putting.

I don't agree with Pokey's "new poster-old poster" reasoning. 

I would also say that, for any poster -- if a lot of other posters take issue with your tone, then the problem isn't with everyone else -- it's with you.  I wouldn't say that Pokey's reached that point, but I don't think he should just automatically dismiss the feedback he's gotten either.

I don't think this situation calls for much if any drama.

The internet isn't a democracy.  It's a big high school, and people act accordingly.

As for Pokey, I find his posts needlessly pessimistic for someone who's supposed to be a fan, but that's not unique on this forum.  What is off-putting though is the "know-it-all" stance he takes, and if you don't agree with him, you don't know hockey.  Or something.  It's like he's purposely trolling the forum, then pleads victimhood when people call him on it.  I've pretty much got him on mental Ignore; thinking about formalizing it.

I would also say that, for any poster -- if a lot of other posters take issue with your tone, then the problem isn't with everyone else -- it's with you.

This has always been, and remains now, sound advice. Not just for teh interwebs either.

If multiple people are saying to you, "dude, you're being a bit of a ______", then there is an excellent chance you ARE in fact being a _______ .

Does this make the sky green?  (this from a poster who doesn't post here much)

yes

Let's hope not. A tornado watch is the last thing we need. ;)

Sabres enviro promos have taught me: Blue and Gold make Green.

LTS is the best poster on this board and has been for years.

Wow... Thanks.  I happen to think we have a lot of fantastic posters on here.  I think it's why this place is such a draw for all of us.

Idk, I have been bitching about Eichel's floating for 3 years now. This year he seems to be better but still. 

Likewise.  I think a lot of people have been.  I don't think you have to condition every post made about Eichel with it but it's good to know that people don't think he's Casey Mittlestadt.

I think that's a great indication of the problem with the Internet.  As though because it's the Internet you don't have to try as hard.  I see each discussion as I do in every walk of life.  It's a chance to debate a point on its merits and those who create the better merits (or are more convincing) are the ones who are going to show as correct. 

Just because it's the Internet does not mean you should not approach your discussion any differently than if you are having it face to face (except for perhaps calling out areas where body language might have enhanced the message you were saying).

But discussions are only democratic in that everyone should have a chance to contribute to it.  It doesn't mean everyone is right or that everyone's opinion is equal.  Everyone's opinion should be accepted based on the supporting information provided with it and be given the chance to be equal or superior to the counterargument.  

Edited by LTS

I AM MITTELSTADT

He can't lose his mind

He could see-ee even blind

He won't walk at all

Skates to things like the mall

He is alive and dead

Can ice skate in a bed

You can't pass him by

on his skates, he can fly

He was turned to ice 

in a great magnetic vise

Where he won the cup

Scored every goal, beat bettman up

Lightning skates of gold

fills the nets with pucks I'm told

Skating as fast as they can

other players look like in quicksand

Everyone wants him

Casey turning their heads

Scoring like Gretzky

You can't possibly defend 

So the time is near

For Mittelstadt to spread fear

vengeance at 5 on 5

Beats every goalie glove side high

Edited by LGR4GM

I AM MITTELSTADT

He can't lose his mind

He could see-ee even blind

He won't walk at all

Skates to things like the mall

He is alive and dead

Can ice skate in a bed

You can't pass him by

on his skates, he can fly

He was turned to ice 

in a great magnetic vise

Where he won the cup

Scored every goal, beat bettman up

Lightning skates of gold

fills the nets with pucks I'm told

Skating as fast as they can

other players look like in quicksand

Everyone wants him

Casey turning their heads

Scoring like Gretzky

You can't possibly defend 

So the time is near

For Mittelstadt to spread fear

vengeance at 5 on 5

Beats every goalie glove side high

Later this year... when I upgrade my PC.. I am going to make a heavy metal backing track for that.