Phil Housley: Your Feelings After Preseason

LGR4GM

• 1 year later...
On 10/2/2017 at 10:36 AM, pi2000 said:

I think Bylsma did everything he could with the hand he was dealt.    Was he the right guy for this particular group?  Maybe not... but that doesn't make him a bad coach.

I've seen nothing from this preseason to suggest Housley has them on the right path.    Guys like ROR, Eichel, etc... sleep-walking through pre-season games,  ragged scrambley d-zone play, giving up odd man rush after odd man rush.    Lack of effort and focus... and all Housley has done is heap praise on this group for their work ethic.... well, I for one, don't see any amount of work ethic from anybody.     

Who shined in camp?  Nobody.

Who took that next step in their development?  Nobody.

Who's taken a leadership role?   Nobody.

What are the lines going to look like opening night?   Who knows.

I don't know Housley personally, but it sounds like he hasn't earned the players respect... maybe he will, maybe he won't.   

Just a very underwhelming start....  with low expectations, and excuses aplenty (new coach/system will take time to adjust),  this team is setup for an abysmal start to the season... and I put that on Housley.    Every interview he says things like "It's a process".... "It's going to take some time"..... you know what?  that!    With the talent on this roster, they shouldn't be satisfied with just "making progress".     Housley is giving players a built in excuse to take nights/periosds off.     He has all the hallmarks of a guy that the players are going to take advantage of.... and it's already showing in the pre-season with slow starts and guys under-performing.     I think he's in over his head. 

Called it from day 1.... and took a lot of heat for this take.

That said, as a fan I really wanted to see him have success, but he struggled getting his message across.     Players didn't "fear" him they way they should a head coach... nobody willing to skate through a wall for him.     You need an alpha dog to lead a young team, unfortunately Housely was just too nice of a guy.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Forgot about this.

Congratulations. Pretty much everything you called him out for seemed to happen.

McLellan?

I think he would be good for the core guys... but don't know enough about him to say if he's the long term answer.     IMO, pretty much any veteran coach could get more out of this group than Housely did... but how much more?  And for how long?   Probably some immediate success, just from getting a more consistent effort...  but can he clean up the d-zone play?  Would need a few games to evaluate if he has them headed in the right direction.

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Called it from day 1.... and took a lot of heat for this take.

That said, as a fan I really wanted to see him have success, but he struggled getting his message across.     Players didn't "fear" him they way they should a head coach... nobody willing to skate through a wall for him.     You need an alpha dog to lead a young team, unfortunately Housely was just too nice of a guy.

Where is pi? And Ubkev for that matter

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.