Connelly is the key to the Sabres future?

LabattBlue

If Connolly is the KEY to the Sabres future, the future is bleak...

http://www.nhl.com/features/preview05/buf_...olly090405.html

Agreed. I expect to see most smaller, quick forwards in the league perform better this season than in the past, given the new "crackdown on obstruction". (I actually think they will crack down on it more than in the past and for a longer time, but I'll be amazed the 1st time I see it called in a 1 goal game with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd.)

Connolly, though, I don't expect to perform better. I didn't think that he really got manhandled by people too much in the past. I thought his problem was his belief that he could stickhandle around more than 1 player at the NHL level. He always seemed to have a problem with knowing when to pass the puck. He'd curl back just inside the blue line (ala Gretzky) and then promptly lose the puck, creating a 3 on 2 or 3 on 1 (rather non-Gretzky-like). Milbury brought him to the NHL way before he was ready and his career has really suffered for it.

25 points and ONLY a MINUS 28 last time he played. I was impressed.

Dave.

This article linked on the sabresreport.com frontpage has had me cracking up for a few days now.  If Connolly is the KEY to the Sabres future, the future is bleak...

http://www.nhl.com/features/preview05/buf_...olly090405.html

What a nightmare! "Connolly is the KEY to the Sabres future"

The "new" rules will not convert Connolly into a league leader of any kind.

The change in the NHL will be minor and the Sabres will get softer than ever and fall farther behind.

Remember the league and the NHL on ice officials have tried this before to an extent and after October it will be business as usual again. The big physical teams will dominate.

This article is all "Fluff". He is going to have to produce right from the start to get any respect around WNY. As dave b posted on this thread, he needs to know when to pass the puck. Not try to dance thru 3 players. Maybe he learned some things in EURO, but until I see it, I'm still not sold on him and I think I speak for plenty of Sabres fans here.

Pyatt too, for that matter. Time to step it up boys.

This article is all "Fluff". He is going to have to produce right from the start to get any respect around WNY. As dave b posted on this thread, he needs to know when to pass the puck. Not try to dance thru 3 players. Maybe he learned some things in EURO, but until I see it, I'm still not sold on him and I think I speak for plenty of Sabres fans here.

Pyatt too, for that matter. Time to step it up boys.

How much is Darcy paying Connolly and Pyatt again?

If Darcy is such a great GM and is a master of putting the correct value on a player?

Why are these two knuckle heads still on the team? Is he that determined to make the Peca trade work that he would hurt the team like this?

Well he doesn't want to make it look like he let Peca win so he wants to make it seem as if Buffalo got a better deal for those 2 then the islanders did... but the problem i see here is that Peca isn't even over on the islanders anymore. i don't see why this grudge match has to go on... its senseless... Regier needs to let these guys have ONE more chance thats it... and by trade deadline move em if they aren't producing... which will be gaurenteed... the thing that won't happen however is regier moving them... they'll be here a LONG time :(

Well he doesn't want to make it look like he let Peca win so he wants to make it seem as if Buffalo got a better deal for those 2 then the islanders did... but the problem i see here is that Peca isn't even over on the islanders anymore. i don't see why this grudge match has to go on... its senseless... Regier needs to let these guys have ONE more chance thats it... and by trade deadline move em if they aren't producing... which will be gaurenteed... the thing that won't happen however is regier moving them... they'll be here a LONG time :(

What happened to all those posters who love Regier?

Did they take a good look at what this team has to offer?

What happened to all those posters who love Regier?

Did they take a good look at what this team has to offer?

Well, I am one of the posters who has stated that there have been extenuating issues regarding Regier. I think he should be judged on this and the next off-seasons.

That being stated, I don't see keeping or trading Pyatt and/or Connolly as having anything to with Peca at this point. I see it as being a case of both of these guys being young so Regier doesn't want to let either one walk for nothing. (Regier gets beat up enough for letting Zhitnik go for nothing, when he didn't have a whole lot of say in the matter; imagine what would happen if either guy took off with another team after the Sabres cut him.) Because neither has produced much at the NHL level, neither likely has much trade value especially with teams learning the new collective bargaining agreement. Both do however, have (here's that horrible word again) potential.

With Connolly, I'd be surprised if he ends up "getting it" and living up to the potential. I see him as more of an Alexandre Daigle, a guy who dominated in the junior ranks and then couldn't or wouldn't get the hang of what it takes to succeed in the NHL. I really hope that I am wrong, because if Connolly does ever live up to 1st round draft pick expectations, the Sabres would be a good team with the other players they have. (Note: I did NOT say I expect Connolly to be good, I actually don't expect him to be; just think about where the Sabres would be at this year IF Connolly DID score 28 goals and 60 points.)

As for Pyatt, the guy has potential to become a good power forward. Very few guys step into the league and are great power forwards at a young age. It took Neely 4 years to blossom, Primeau (Keith, not Wayne) 4 years, Stevens 3 years, Bertuzzi 5 years, and Tkachuk 3 years. I am not saying that Pyatt will be another Primeau (well, I guess he's already as good as Wayne) but this is his 5th season coming up. Considering, he was not ready for the NHL during his 1st season with the Isles, and that season probably set him back a year, this season will be Pyatt's breakout year if he in fact will have one. He has flashed moments during the last season, its just they've been too few and far between. Also, he hasn't exactly had a stellar power forward to model his career after, as that does seem to be a position the Sabres seldom carry (I don't really consider Andreychuk a true "power forward"; the last one the Sabres had, in my opinion was Rick Vaive.) Regardless of whether Pyatt ever breaks out or not, he does at least provide the Sabres one large forward that can skate. I think he will have value as a 3rd line player (again, remember he is only 24 years old) in a worst case and he does have the potential to become a hockey player.

That being said, assuming Connolly just doesn't get it and Pyatt is improving (my guess as to how it will play out) I would not be surprised to see Darcy convince some GM at the trade deadline that Connolly does have potential and value, and convert him into something serviceable (something similar to the Gratton for Briere trade). I do expect Pyatt to be here for at least one more year; basically I expect him to be here long enough to figure out if Pyatt is a player or a bust. Remember, Vancouver TRADED Neely AND a 1st rounder for Barry Pederson. D'oh. You want to be certain a power forward is a bust before you punt him.

Dave.

Well, I am one of the posters who has stated that there have been extenuating issues regarding Regier. I think he should be judged on this and the next off-seasons.

That being stated, I don't see keeping or trading Pyatt and/or Connolly as having anything to with Peca at this point. I see it as being a case of both of these guys being young so Regier doesn't want to let either one walk for nothing. (Regier gets beat up enough for letting Zhitnik go for nothing, when he didn't have a whole lot of say in the matter; imagine what would happen if either guy took off with another team after the Sabres cut him.) Because neither has produced much at the NHL level, neither likely has much trade value especially with teams learning the new collective bargaining agreement. Both do however, have (here's that horrible word again) potential.

With Connolly, I'd be surprised if he ends up "getting it" and living up to the potential. I see him as more of an Alexandre Daigle, a guy who dominated in the junior ranks and then couldn't or wouldn't get the hang of what it takes to succeed in the NHL. I really hope that I am wrong, because if Connolly does ever live up to 1st round draft pick expectations, the Sabres would be a good team with the other players they have. (Note: I did NOT say I expect Connolly to be good, I actually don't expect him to be; just think about where the Sabres would be at this year IF Connolly DID score 28 goals and 60 points.)

As for Pyatt, the guy has potential to become a good power forward. Very few guys step into the league and are great power forwards at a young age. It took Neely 4 years to blossom, Primeau (Keith, not Wayne) 4 years, Stevens 3 years, Bertuzzi 5 years, and Tkachuk 3 years. I am not saying that Pyatt will be another Primeau (well, I guess he's already as good as Wayne) but this is his 5th season coming up. Considering, he was not ready for the NHL during his 1st season with the Isles, and that season probably set him back a year, this season will be Pyatt's breakout year if he in fact will have one. He has flashed moments during the last season, its just they've been too few and far between. Also, he hasn't exactly had a stellar power forward to model his career after, as that does seem to be a position the Sabres seldom carry (I don't really consider Andreychuk a true "power forward"; the last one the Sabres had, in my opinion was Rick Vaive.) Regardless of whether Pyatt ever breaks out or not, he does at least provide the Sabres one large forward that can skate. I think he will have value as a 3rd line player (again, remember he is only 24 years old) in a worst case and he does have the potential to become a hockey player.

That being said, assuming Connolly just doesn't get it and Pyatt is improving (my guess as to how it will play out) I would not be surprised to see Darcy convince some GM at the trade deadline that Connolly does have potential and value, and convert him into something serviceable (something similar to the Gratton for Briere trade). I do expect Pyatt to be here for at least one more year; basically I expect him to be here long enough to figure out if Pyatt is a player or a bust. Remember, Vancouver TRADED Neely AND a 1st rounder for Barry Pederson. D'oh. You want to be certain a power forward is a bust before you punt him.

Dave.

Neely was an exceptional player. When the Bruins traded for him it was a big deal. Pederson had two 40+ goal seasons for the Bruins. It wasn't as if the Bruins stole Neely from Vancouver. It only appears that way because Pederson went downhill so fast. Vancouver new they were giving something up. They just expected more from Pederson.

Neely was an exceptional player. When the Bruins traded for him it was a big deal. Pederson had two 40+ goal seasons for the Bruins. It wasn't as if the Bruins stole Neely from Vancouver. It only appears that way because Pederson went downhill so fast.  Vancouver new they were giving something up. They just expected more from Pederson.

Pederson was coming off MAJOR surgery. He had had a tumor removed from his shoulder ~1-1/2 seasons prior to the trade. Both of his 40 goal seasons were prior to his surgery. Vancouver thought that Pederson would make a full recovery, but even so, if they thought Neely would end up being more than an average to slightly above average player why would they include a number 1 along in the deal? That pick turned out to be the 3rd pick overall in the next year's draft.

Vancouver gave up on Neely. It was a HUGE mistake.

Dave.

PS. Not that it matters any, but Neely was drafted with the 9th pick in the '83 draft. Buffalo had the 10th AND 11th picks that year. They had already drafted Barasso with the #5 pick.

Pederson was coming off MAJOR surgery.  He had had a tumor removed from his shoulder ~1-1/2 seasons prior to the trade.  Both of his 40 goal seasons were prior to his surgery.  Vancouver thought that Pederson would make a full recovery, but even so, if they thought Neely would end up being more than an average to slightly above average player why would they include a number 1 along in the deal? That pick turned out to be the 3rd pick overall in the next year's draft.

Vancouver gave up on Neely.  It was a HUGE mistake.

Dave.

PS.  Not that it matters any, but Neely was drafted with the 9th pick in the '83 draft.  Buffalo had the 10th AND 11th picks that year.  They had already drafted Barasso with the #5 pick.

Pederson was healthy at that point. He was coming off a 29 goal 70+ point season and put up 25 and 70 for the Canucks.

Pederson was considered a top player at the time which is why Vancouver added the #1 pick. You do so whithout thinking it will be the #3. That's the problem with trades. On paper they look good. Years later they look bad.

Anyway.

For a team that is so penny wise it doesn't make sense to throw away another million on the kid. You put his and Connolly's money together you go out and sign a real player. But it doesn't look like the Sabres were interested in signing anyone if they had the money or not.

Pederson was healthy at that point. He was coming off a 29 goal 70+ point season and put up 25 and 70 for the Canucks.

Pederson was considered a top player at the time which is why Vancouver added the #1 pick. You do so whithout thinking it will be the #3. That's the problem with trades. On paper they look good. Years later they look bad.

Anyway.

For a team that is so penny wise it doesn't make sense to throw away another million on the kid. You put his and Connolly's money together you go out and sign a real player. But it doesn't look like the Sabres were interested in signing anyone if they had the money or not.

The Canucks were coming off 2 straight terrible finishes. Putting the 1st round pick into that package was a sign that they didn't think much of Neely.

Personally, I thought Neely would be good, but not THAT good, but I was ticked about giving Boston a good chance for the top pick overall.

The discussion of Peterson's status though and the relative merits of the trade is getting away from my original point, which was that power forwards take time to develop.

On to your final point, the Sabres claimed their payroll would be between $27MM and $29MM. They still have about Pyatt's and Connolly's salaries (~$2.5MM) sitting idle as it is. The Sabres tried to sign some players; the players they offered that level of money to felt they were worth more or wanted to play elsewhere. I don't think Pyatt and Connolly being on the roster affected the Sabres off season moves (or lack thereof) in any significant way.

Dave.

The Canucks were coming off 2 straight terrible finishes. Putting the 1st round pick into that package was a sign that they didn't think much of Neely.

Personally, I thought Neely would be good, but not THAT good, but I was ticked about giving Boston a good chance for the top pick overall.

The discussion of Peterson's status though and the relative merits of the trade is getting away from my original point, which was that power forwards take time to develop.

On to your final point, the Sabres claimed their payroll would be between $27MM and $29MM. They still have about Pyatt's and Connolly's salaries (~$2.5MM) sitting idle as it is. The Sabres tried to sign some players; the players they offered that level of money to felt they were worth more or wanted to play elsewhere. I don't think Pyatt and Connolly being on the roster affected the Sabres off season moves (or lack thereof) in any significant way.

Dave.

I think you missed my point. My point isn't that the Sabres would use their money elsewhere. The point is that the Pyatt and Connolly contracts are bad monies spent after bad monies. Their production will never reach the level of their contracts. So why spend the money? They don't make the hockey team any better. Why play hardball with a player like McKee and then give these two a blank check? IMO it is strictly another attempt to salvage 'the Peca Trade.'

I would love for Pyatt to turn into Neely. But Neely not only had talent, he had the spark like Messier had. He would like to hammer a player into the boards as much as scoreing a goal. Pyatt has the aggression of a kitten. You can't change what's in a players heart. If the heart isn't into it? It never will be.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20050916/1016682.asp

Lets see if all this talk about being more mature is true. Time to step up Tim.

If Connolly steps up his physical play I'll be the first to post so. IMO I don't think the kid has it in him. If he tries to play tougher without it being in his nature he'll end up injured again.

If Connolly steps up his physical play I'll be the first to post so. IMO I don't think the kid has it in him. If he tries to play tougher without it being in his nature he'll end up injured again.

Connolly is NOT going to play physical. However, even without playing physical, he can (theoretically at least) play a heck of a lot smarter. He also, if he really did improve his strength, can keep from turning over the puck when a defender breathes on him. If he matures and understands the NHL game, perhaps he won't stink. Unfortunately, I don't think he has it in him to do it (but, if I'm wrong, he could become a heck of a hockey player).

Dave.

Connolly is NOT going to play physical. However, even without playing physical, he can (theoretically at least) play a heck of a lot smarter. He also, if he really did improve his strength, can keep from turning over the puck when a defender breathes on him. If he matures and understands the NHL game, perhaps he won't stink. Unfortunately, I don't think he has it in him to do it (but, if I'm wrong, he could become a heck of a hockey player).

Dave.

I don't mean turning into a power forward. I'll just be happy if he fights through a check, digs in a corner and doesn't peel away dump the puck when a defender comes near.

The kid plays scared. You can't do that in the NHL.

I don't mean turning into a power forward. I'll just be happy if he fights through a check, digs in a corner and doesn't peel away dump the puck when a defender comes near.

If he dumped the puck down low, he'd have a much better +/-. The problem is, he holds the puck and has it stripped after he has placed his teammates in positions where they can't prevent the odd man rush that he inevitably creates.

The kid plays scared. You can't do that in the NHL.

No argument here.

Dave.

• 2 months later...
Guest cusemoose

For someone who you are all bashing...he seems to be putting together a pretty good start to the season?!? Looks to be more physical and in much better shape, both physically AND mentally.

Keep it up Tim!

Archived