Training camp questions #11: does Josh Gorges make this team?

dudacek

Perhaps the most bashed player on this board.

One year, $3.9 million. A warrior, who skates and handles the puck like it's a boulder in mud.

Gorges dropped below 20 minutes a night for the first time in nine years last year but at last check he still wears an "A"

Is he an NHL player who was simply overmatched on the first pair?

Can he still help out killing penalties and providing some stability further down the lineup?

Or is he done?

I see Scandella taking his tough minutes.

I see a team in desperate need of transition skills he does not have.

I see Beaulieu, Antipin and Guhle providing the above.

I see Falk, Fedun, Tennyson and Goulebuf as options at 7/8 at a fraction of the cost.

I see a player who tried to be a leader but had not enough followers.

I see a new GM eager to fix his leadership problems

Barring a run of injuries and/or poor camps by Antipin and Guhle, I think Josh is gone before the season starts.

Edited by dudacek

I have said it before and have been taken to task for it a bit, but he waived his NTC to come here and not Toronto.  That means a lot to me.

So, he will always have a spot on my team, maybe not the Sabres, but my team ... oh, yeah.

I'll never forget that either - in between tanks, that was a rare moment of satisfaction.

I see Falk, Fedun, Tennyson and Goulebuf as options at 7/8 at a fraction of the cost.

Barring a run of injuries and/or poor camps by Antipin and Guhle, I think Josh is gone before the season starts.

I agree with all of this.  There is enough veteran leadership in the room.  Honestly, his exit interview felt like he was done with Buffalo.  He seems like a dissident in the room to me.  I'd rather just move on. 

See him as the 7. If a LHD goes down, he's in the lineup on 3rd pairing until that guy is back. If a RHD goes down, he's in the lineup until someone in Ra-cha-cha can get to the rink.

Still like the guy; just don't want to see him taking a regular shift.

I think this is where where I'm at as well.

But this is an intriguing take, and I could see it unfolding this way too. Probably my preferred outcome if Gorges really is on a different side of the locker room.

I agree with Duds about failed leadership. I get the sense that Gionta and Gorges are no longer welcome in the locker room because they fought the good fight for their (terrible, horrible) coach.

I agree except for the "failed" part. I thiught it was the right fight as a pro. But it may cost him a roster spot. He foes provide leadership and shows these kids what being a pro is. And I think another year of that would be valuable, even if he is in the press box for 2/3 of the games.

I agree except for the "failed" part. I thiught it was the right fight as a pro. But it may cost him a roster spot. He foes provide leadership and shows these kids what being a pro is. And I think another year of that would be valuable, even if he is in the press box for 2/3 of the games.

I don't think leadership works if you suck at hockey.

I don't think leadership works if you suck at hockey.

I think guys like Matt Ellis show otherwise. No, as a fringe player you can't rally a team or be an in the room vocal guy. Its more about setting an example of how you approach your profession and I think this team still needs an old warhorse or two to be those guys.

I think guys like Matt Ellis show otherwise. No, as a fringe player you can't rally a team or be an in the room vocal guy. Its more about setting an example of how you approach your profession and I think this team still needs an old warhorse or two to be those guys.

I don't think young skill players are going to be able to take any lessons from fringe players. Why would they? They're going to take their lessons from Kane, Okposo, and O'Reilly (and now Scandella). I hope Kane and Okposo can instill our young core with a love for the game. I don't think the way O'Reilly approaches the game is necessarily... healthy.

Guys like Matt Ellis can't really set an example because despite his approach/respect/drive/leadership he doesn't add anything to the team's chances of winning. That's all players care about.

I can see him working with the younger players in a semi-coaching capacity. We will; have injuries, everyone does, and he will be fine as a #7 depth guy. Maybe overpaid for that, but it is what it is. If he is in the starting 6 we are in trouble. Trade him for anything at the deadline IF anybody wants him as a depth guy for a playoff run - even if we are in a playoff spot.

Is it Antipin or Beaulieu you're not high on?

Between the two, Antipin.  Being new to the North American game I see them giving him pressbox time in the beginning.

Also, while I think Gorges will be on the opening night roster, I don't think it will take long before he's platooning out. 

He will be in the top 6 on opening night.

Housley will want a veteran presence on the team to help him roll out his system.  As the system clicks, Josh's presence on the blue line will be less critical.

I don't really see the benefit to this. It's not like Gorges is well versed in Housley's system or anything. Sure, he's a veteran, but so are Scandella and Bogosian, plus even though they are relatively young, Beaulieu, McCabe, and Ristolainen aren't exactly rookies and they should pretty much all have the same (minimal) exposure to Housley's system by opening day.

Maybe if Gorges is a quick study and some of the other guys struggle to pick up the nuances I could see it, but outside of that, I believe he'll ice his 6 best defensemen. At least, I hope he does.

I agree that it will come down to Gorges vs Antipin for the last spot in the top 6.  Risto, Scandella, McCabe, Bogo and Beaulieu are all locks IMHO.

I do think though that Antipin will have to earn it, and that it's far from certain that he'll do so (although I sure hope he does). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.