2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Can you guys show where you had ranked people in the past?

This doesn't seem like a word

I don't have my past rankings because this is the first year I have put together a comprehensive list. Usually I just rank players around where Buffalo will pick... like Brock Boeser at 21. 

Liger...come on. This is kinda silly

But I'm bored. Here is the rationale. 

The 2018 NHL Draft is very intriguing. It has probably the best defensive depth in a decade. This is good for the Sabres as they will need to add talent to their prospect pool especially at D. I believe they can address this on day 2 but depending on the draft lottery might address it on day 1.

The how: My rankings will look different than what you see from Button or CSS or ISS. They won’t be wildly different but there might be a surprise or two. This is because of how I look at the draft. Typically it starts with numbers relative to the league and the age. This is complicated to explain. The short version would be I look at the player’s production, compare it to the league they play in, and then see how their age might have impacted that. We have all seen my comparison of Tkachuk to Wahlstrom but looking at their 17 year old years. Boqvist for example is lethal in U20 play at only 17 (August 15 bday). Basically if you are really young for your class but producing at a high level that matters to me. Also if you are playing in a men’s league and producing less that isn’t held against you as much considering most of your peers are playing U20.

Next we have the part that takes the longest, scouting report reads. I am looking first and foremost for skating. If there are questions about skating, you drop. I will add more to this in a moment. The second thing I look for in a scouting report is what you do on offense versus defense. Are you cheating to get a break away? Do you back check? How strong is your puck pursuit? Is your positioning sound? Are you physical?  These can all be gleaned from scouting reports and usually I like to find at least 2-3 reports to compare.

Finally we have the video portion. Often difficult but really worth it, I need to verify with my own eyes that the scouting report was right. I also look for something else, how do you fit into the offense. Are you an offensive passenger or driver? You can watch even highlight videos to figure this out. For example a lot of Noel Serron’s goals appear to be him caching in rebounds in front, he is more of a passenger in that sense. I also verify the skating. Skating to me is one of those things when you see it you know. Serron for example is lumbering on skates. Svechnikov is a beast and Dahlin… Dahlin skates like McDavid. Dahlin is just amazing on skates.

Then I rank. I start with looking at ISS and CSS and those ranks to get a feel where others put guys then I start shuffling guys around. Some drop a lot. Some move up. All depends.

Edited by Skurk Liger

Rasmus Dahlin, he is the best player in this draft bar none. Excellent skating, size, iq, work ethic. He's the McDavid of defenders. I am not sure there has ever been anything like him. 

Andre Svechnikov, no one cares if he is russian. He is insanely good at skating and shooting the puck. Big with good top end speed he is like Ovechkin in some ways. Really love his game.

Filip Zadina, he almost fell to 4 on my rankings. His skating is fine but he doesn't have that lightening speed I personally want. He is however a 200ft player who is solid in all 3 zones and has an excellent shot. 

Oliver Wahlstrom, he may play with Jack Hughes but he also shoots like a superstar. Great shot and great skating, he is young and could be a steal in this draft.

Adam Boqvist, he skates almost as good as Dahlin but is not as refined. He lacks some size and is only eligible for this draft by 1 month. He is dynamic though and currently destroying the U18 tourney.  

Noah Dobson, somewhat forgotten at times he is a quieter player in some ways. Great skater, all around good player, he is just solid everywhere on the ice. Really like his game and think he's an excellent pick outside of the top 4. 

Brady Tkachuk, first I like him and he only falls this far because I think there are better players. Decent skating with rugged physicality he is the perfect playoff warrior. He has good vision and great passes. 

Quinn Hughes, I like him but I don't love him. Sometimes he just seems a little soft and that is why he slides a bit for me. Outstanding skater and did pretty good against bigger competition in college. 

Evan Bouchard, he was ranked higher until I watched him in depth. His skating is okay. That's my problem. He can get beat on the outside and he doesn't do anything at an elite level. He's just good. 

Ty Smith, originally in the teens, once I started reading and watching he jumped. Good skating, smart player with a knack for being slippery and great at breakouts. 

post-4822-0-10263700-1524666839_thumb.png

Can't hurt

I'm shocked you have Zadina that high still. For me he's out of the top 5

Why?

The only issue with Zadina's skating is he lacks elite top end speed. He just has good speed. His edgework and pivots are fantastic though. His skating motion is fluid and quickly gets him up to speed. 

Why?

The only issue with Zadina's skating is he lacks elite top end speed. He just has good speed. His edgework and pivots are fantastic though. His skating motion is fluid and quickly gets him up to speed. 

Was going to say, from the little I've seen, he's slower

Slower than Wahlstrom?

Yes, I would say he appears to be slower than Wahlstrom. He is ranked higher because Zadina has a more refined 2way game IMPO.  I love Wahlstrom and Zadina only edges him out by a hair. If Buffalo drafts 3rd and takes Wahlstrom over Zadina, I won't complain. 

From McKenzie

Just saw the NHL’s format/timing for Saturday’s draft lottery. Picks 15 thru 4 between 7:30 and 8:00 p.m. ET, picks 3 thru 1 in the second intermission of an 8 p.m. ET game. Huh. I suppose we should be happy they aren’t doing one pick a day for two weeks. ????

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.