2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

There was a group of kids, probably in early high school, visiting campus for something yesterday. One of them asked me who Baker Mayfield was as I walked by, his friends were laughing at him because he didn't know. I just said "future hall-of-fame quarterback of the Buffalo Bills" and continued on my way. He was probably more confused after that 

Edited by Randall Flagg

What's your perfect draft day result?

It's more important to have good process than good draft picks. Tavares doesn't help the Islanders, he allows Snow to keep his job longer. All the talent isn't helping Calgary, it just keeps the GM employed, McDavid doesn't help Edmonton, he just keeps the GM employed.

Most of the good teams, Nashville, Tampa, Boston, Vegas, have very few top pick stars, but enough good process to make it work.

Everyone would succeed picking first, let's see if Botterill can pick 4th and make the right decision.

It's more important to have good process than good draft picks. Tavares doesn't help the Islanders, he allows Snow to keep his job longer. All the talent isn't helping Calgary, it just keeps the GM employed, McDavid doesn't help Edmonton, he just keeps the GM employed.

Most of the good teams, Nashville, Tampa, Boston, Vegas, have very few top pick stars, but enough good process to make it work.

Everyone would succeed picking first, let's see if Botterill can pick 4th and make the right decision.

Good points. I'm more worried about our 2/3rd round than I am our 1st

Good points. I'm more worried about our 2/3rd round than I am our 1st

I'm looking for 2 things. Speed and production v age. If you can skate and have good production for your age, second round come to me.

2nd round defenders, excellent skating with either noted hockey iq or noted hard worker.

From Chris Peters

Only American prospect I've seen in the last 10 years with a release and shot as good as Oliver Wahlstrom's is Auston Matthews. Kid can score from anywhere. Has USA up 2-1 on assist from Jack Hughes.

I’m on the Wahlstrom bandwagon. When we draft 4th, I’m taking him or Tkachuk and I’m leaning toward Wahlstrom. Then I’m trading Nylander for Joulevi. Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The rationale against tanking, distilled into 4 sentences.

Bravo.

You mean like picking Mittelstadt are #8?

The rationale against tanking, distilled into 4 sentences.

Bravo.

When this team is playoff bound with Eichel, you won't feel this way.

When this team is playoff bound with Eichel, you won't feel this way.

Don't count on it.  I'll root for him, just like I'll root for whoever wears the blue and gold.  But it won't change my opinion regarding losing on purpose as a strategy.

I’m on the Wahlstrom bandwagon. When we draft 4th, I’m taking him or Tkachuk and I’m leaning toward Wahlstrom. Then I’m trading Nylander for Joulevi.

Canucks aren't trading D for a forward at this point. They have lots of forward prospects but little to no D.

Edited by bunomatic

Mattias Samuelsson

K'Andre Miller

Rasmus Sandin

Calen Addison

Jacob Bernard-Docker

Jett Woo

Jon Tychonick

Nils Lundkvist

Nicolas Beaudin

All defenders with a chance to be there at 32. I can basically guarantee at least 2 will be available and maybe as many as 5. Granted I like certain ones more than others. 

If they get the 4th pick, does JBot explore moving down a notch or two and add another pick?

It seems like there is the depth of D at this draft to get a good one at 5-10 plus get another late 1st.

That's extremely hard to do. It is unlikely. There's only 3 teams you trade with. Ottawa, Detroit and Chicago. Detroit/ Chicago would be the most likely. That's pick 5 or 7 pre lottery with pick 24-28 coming back. I probably move from 4 to 5 but not 4 to 7. I'd rather trust my scouting department and give them the top pick of that second tier. Edited by Skurk Liger

Ty Dallandrea, currently would be my target at 32. There's only a few defenders from the back half of 1 I have above him.

He’ll be available at 50

I like your other list better. Top half may be gone but the rest will be there at 32. Woo has been slipping in my recent review

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

He’ll be available at 50

I like your other list better. Top half may be gone but the rest will be there at 32. Woo has been slipping in my recent review

I don't think he'll be there at 50. He's rising fast.

Actually, I'd bet he won't be there at 50

I don't think he'll be there at 50. He's rising fast.

Actually, I'd bet he won't be there at 50

Even if you agree w CSS that Ty has moved from 76th to 26th in NA, add in the top 13-14 Euros and you still have a mid 2nd rd pick. They gave Drury a similar bump and move Ranta and Foudy both forwards into the top 20 in NA. I doubt either of them go in the first either. If we don’t get Dahlin, then hopefully Jbot grabs a good D here st 32 Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Even if you agree w CSS that Ty has moved from 76th to 26th in NA, add in the top 13-14 Euros and you still have a mid 2nd rd pick. They gave Drury a similar bump and move Ranta and Foudy both forwards into the top 20 in NA. I doubt either of them go in the first either. If we don’t get Dahlin, then hopefully Jbot grabs a good D here st 32

Depends on the defender. I'm not taking a mediocre defender just to take one. Bpa

I gotta do my final ranking but Dellandrea will probably be in my 25-32 range.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.