(OT) The College Football Thread

Eleven

Federal law. Cap school athletics spending so that college sports goes back to being something you do to supplement your college experience, school spirit, etc. Then maybe we can get back to colleges being about academic pursuits instead of sports. People wonder why education spending has ballooned. Maybe lets not dump billions into college football. 

Thassa big idear you get there, son.

I'd be dead set against that level of federal intrusion into how universities run their businesses.

/Silently begs for there to be no political tangent on the subject.

As for why the cost of post-secondary education has ballooned, I would not imagine that hefty spending on revenue sports would be a leading reason -- at least not in the large majority of situations. I'd venture that bloated faculty and administration positions would be a more likely culprit. And, echoing a criticism I often level at NFL franchises, the amount of money that colleges and universities spend nowadays on their facilities, their real estate improvements is just staggering. 

I'd also wager that the manner/method in which sporting competitions are "consumed" by customers would change dramatically before the sort of uncoupling you're talking about could occur. 

Post secondary education has increased because public funding to public colleges and universities has gone from around 50% to about 25%. If you think it is faculty pay you are not aware of how most faculty get paid, or what they get paid. Admin pay is def to high and paying coaches contributes.

Thassa big idear you get there, son.

I'd be dead set against that level of federal intrusion into how universities run their businesses.

/Silently begs for there to be no political tangent on the subject.

As for why the cost of post-secondary education has ballooned, I would not imagine that hefty spending on revenue sports would be a leading reason -- at least not in the large majority of situations. I'd venture that bloated faculty and administration positions would be a more likely culprit. And, echoing a criticism I often level at NFL franchises, the amount of money that colleges and universities spend nowadays on their facilities, their real estate improvements is just staggering. 

I'd also wager that the manner/method in which sporting competitions are "consumed" by customers would change dramatically before the sort of uncoupling you're talking about could occur. 

Right, I get that it's a big and crazy idea, but I just think we've really corrupted the institution of education in the country and at some point things are going to have to change. It trickles down to the local level too, where schools are all too willing to cut funding for education and the arts in order to make sure the football team can exist. We have to break this trend, especially with college football. It's gone too far. No other sport has this kind of power over education at any level. 

you'll never get the money out of it sadly. Only the top programs actually make money. For example uga made about 9 mil last year on athletics. That's great. UB I doubt made any money at all.

Yeah you start making this about the athletes getting paid and guess what happens to every D3, D2, or smaller D1 school athletes that don't have mega programs? None of those kids get the scholarships they depend on anymore

Post secondary education has increased because public funding to public colleges and universities has gone from around 50% to about 25%. If you think it is faculty pay you are not aware of how most faculty get paid, or what they get paid. Admin pay is def to high and paying coaches contributes.

That's a commonly stated truth. I  do not think it's one that is borne out by the data. There's good, sound research out there demonstrating that the incredible rises in college tuition actually correlate with large increases in public spending to support post-secondary education, and that the high-point of inflation-adjusted public spending to support colleges came right before the Lehman-induced recession of ~2008-2009.

And I hear you on faculty compensation. I've read that it's been quite flat for a long time. But I've also read that the sheer numbers of faculty, administration, etc. have grown at a pace that has contributed to the rise in the cost of college tuition.

Wild card, I can't agree with you more.

I was strictly an NFL fan growing up.  Bills, Bills and more Bills. 

Then I moved to GA, married a UGA alum, put two kids through UGA and have been attending UGA football games for 27 years.  Honestly, I enjoy Saturday now so much more then Sunday.  The players seem to have more fun, the fans have great traditions and the sea of Red Tents tailgating in Athens, GA just adds to the excitement.

I'm not surprised. Let's face it, you get to go watch UGA beat up on teams like UB for half the season and go at least .500 for the rest. I think the atmosphere around the NFL teams is different when you're the Pats and not the Lions.

I'm not surprised. Let's face it, you get to go watch UGA beat up on teams like UB for half the season and go at least .500 for the rest. I think the atmosphere around the NFL teams is different when you're the Pats and not the Lions.

I think it's the youth and pride associated with a university 

I think it's the youth and pride associated with a university 

That doesn't hurt. I'm pretty sure the tailgating party atmosphere didn't carry over to UB Football when I went there (one winning season, 20-35 overall), so my guess is it only really applies to the "good" teams.

That doesn't hurt. I'm pretty sure the tailgating party atmosphere didn't carry over to UB Football when I went there (one winning season, 20-35 overall), so my guess is it only really applies to the "good" teams.

Bigger universities, bigger frats/sororities which leads to massive houses on campus and alum organizing long standing traditions and parties.  

Georgia only getting to .500 is considered a major losing season. I'd say under .750 is unacceptable in Athens. We fired a coach after a 10-3 season.

But you can bet those tailgates when we're out of the SEC championship are abysmal. Winning makes everything better.

Georgia only getting to .500 is considered a major losing season. I'd say under .750 is unacceptable in Athens. We fired a coach after a 10-3 season.

But you can bet those tailgates when we're out of the SEC championship are abysmal. Winning makes everything better.

"we" ...bless your heart.... Richt was fired because of his 5-10 record against Florida

"we" ...bless your heart.... Richt was fired because of his 5-10 record against Florida

Yes he was. Richt sucked at beating Florida. And occasionally tech. And sometimes Missouri... he just couldn't get it done.

And I mean we. I graduated from there, seems fair.

6-0 against the Appalachian Community Colleges, and .500 or better against the ranked teams. :)

Frankly, I'm not interesting in any nickname we'd come up with based on the last 15-20 years. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.