Streaming the Sabres Legally

BMWR100RT

It's joke. The thread is called Streaming the Sabres Legally. You are using a VPN to hide your location to get a feed you don't have a right to, so you should be in the Streaming the Sabres Illegally thread.

Maybe it wasn't that funny.

Ah, see, I don't consider the VPN an issue. I think local blackouts are a scam. I pay the NHL a pretty penny for their service. I bet they make more money from my subscription than they do from MSG's broadcast rights. I think if they wanted to stop people from spoofing their locations they'd find a way.

Ah, see, I don't consider the VPN an issue. I think local blackouts are a scam. I pay the NHL a pretty penny for their service. I bet they make more money from my subscription than they do from MSG's broadcast rights. I think if they wanted to stop people from spoofing their locations they'd find a way.

There just isn't enough people doing it yet for it to be a focus. But I guarantee they care.

There just isn't enough people doing it yet for it to be a focus. But I guarantee they care.

I think you'd be surprised at the numbers of people who are. I'd bet a third of NHL.tv subscribers are using a VPN of some kind.

The way I look at it is this: I could be watching a high quality free illegal stream easily found on Reddit, or I can pay the NHL for the same stream. I don't have to pay them anything. I think I know which one the NHL bean counters would prefer though. So they won't bother us VPN users.

I think you'd be surprised at the numbers of people who are. I'd bet a third of NHL.tv subscribers are using a VPN of some kind.

The way I look at it is this: I could be watching a high quality free illegal stream easily found on Reddit, or I can pay the NHL for the same stream. I don't have to pay them anything. I think I know which one the NHL bean counters would prefer though. So they won't bother us VPN users.

You are right that the NHL doesn't care. They are getting their money. It's the cable providers that care. But since they are the ones mostly providing the internet to folk they will probably still make out in the end.

Still illegal, though.

Sinner.

This doesn't dismiss the illegality of what you are doing.  It violates the terms of service of your agreement.  

It is actually quite easy to stop people from spoofing their locations.  They can block VPN services like many streaming services have started doing.  Your exit points on a VPN service are well known.  Certainly other VPN services can pop up but at some point the average user is going to have to ask themselves if they actually trust the company they are using to create the VPN tunnel.  After all you are connecting your PC to their network and opening the front door.  Moreover, if you have to install a client from them you'll have no insight into what the client is actually doing on your PC.  Sure it's providing a VPN tunnel but is it also scanning file information, data transferred when outside the tunnel, etc.?  All of that would be very easy to do and it won't pop up on any malware scanner because it's not big enough to cause a problem until someone actually digs into the application.

Just food for thought... it's really no different than the people who give rights to those stupid apps on Facebook to post what their cartoon character would be and then end up surprised that their information is all over the place.

This doesn't dismiss the illegality of what you are doing. It violates the terms of service of your agreement.

It is actually quite easy to stop people from spoofing their locations. They can block VPN services like many streaming services have started doing. Your exit points on a VPN service are well known. Certainly other VPN services can pop up but at some point the average user is going to have to ask themselves if they actually trust the company they are using to create the VPN tunnel. After all you are connecting your PC to their network and opening the front door. Moreover, if you have to install a client from them you'll have no insight into what the client is actually doing on your PC. Sure it's providing a VPN tunnel but is it also scanning file information, data transferred when outside the tunnel, etc.? All of that would be very easy to do and it won't pop up on any malware scanner because it's not big enough to cause a problem until someone actually digs into the application.

Just food for thought... it's really no different than the people who give rights to those stupid apps on Facebook to post what their cartoon character would be and then end up surprised that their information is all over the place.

I definitely recognize the risks. But I think my VPN provider is probably more trustworthy than Equifax. Welcome to 2017 :lol:

I definitely recognize the risks. But I think my VPN provider is probably more trustworthy than Equifax. Welcome to 2017 :lol:

Very possible.  My point on the VPN was that the very popular VPN providers all have well known exit points.  It would be the easiest thing on Earth for any streaming provider to block those VPN providers.  I would be absolutely shocked if they did not already have the technology.  I have the technology at my house since I am a product manager for a device that can recognize over 2800 network based applications and with a few clicks manage traffic associated with them.  It would be less than 15 seconds for me to block the top 25 VPN providers in the world.

If they do begin blocking (and some have) then you'll be forced into people who want to capitalize on the desperate consumer and those who will not think twice because "hey, they have a really polished website so they must be trustworthy".

Very possible.  My point on the VPN was that the very popular VPN providers all have well known exit points.  It would be the easiest thing on Earth for any streaming provider to block those VPN providers.  I would be absolutely shocked if they did not already have the technology.  I have the technology at my house since I am a product manager for a device that can recognize over 2800 network based applications and with a few clicks manage traffic associated with them.  It would be less than 15 seconds for me to block the top 25 VPN providers in the world.

If they do begin blocking (and some have) then you'll be forced into people who want to capitalize on the desperate consumer and those who will not think twice because "hey, they have a really polished website so they must be trustworthy".

If they start blocking VPN's I'll just stop doing what I'm doing. I wont use a VPN that isn't reputable. I'm not that desperate. 

I'll just go back to watching the illegal streams. If that's what they want me to do. 

If they start blocking VPN's I'll just stop doing what I'm doing. I wont use a VPN that isn't reputable. I'm not that desperate. 

I'll just go back to watching the illegal streams. If that's what they want me to do. 

I would have kept and paid the NHL money to continue to stream hockey. Currently I am not sure what I will do. Probably not see games during the week. Maybe I will look into VPN stuff for next year. 

I think the only legal way to stream local games is to pay for cable and login to the channels streaming page or app (if they have one) with your cable provider account.

I do this with games on NBCSN

Edited by skaught

I would have kept and paid the NHL money to continue to stream hockey. Currently I am not sure what I will do. Probably not see games during the week. Maybe I will look into VPN stuff for next year. 

If you live outside of the Sabres Market you shouldn't need a VPN because the Sabres games should only get blacked out in the Buffalo tv market.

I think the only legal way to stream local games is to pay for cable and login to the channels streaming page or app (if they have one) with your cable provider account.

I do this with games on NBCSN

I'm not paying 100$ a month to watch 7-8 Sabres games. It just isn't worth it. 

I recently dropped Time Warner because it was just too expensive.  Of course we are now Spectrum.  I had switched to Spectrum and kept basic cable because it was easy enough.  Strangely, NBCSN was still available.  Okay.. cool. I had planned on buying NHL.tv and I have a corporate connection that puts me outside the Rochester market.  Spectrum came back and offered me a lower price for expanded basic cable than I had for just internet and basic... so I took it.  Now I have MSG and NBCSN so I am good (no NHL Network).

Might be a thing you can do if you have the ability to play the Spectrum game.

But it's definitely not worh of it otherwise.  MSG is still not streamable via Spectrum or any other means than MSG>Go and that does not include the SAbres as far as I know.  It's a joke.

Thanks for starting this thread-I just got rid of my DirecTV after the price jumped from $74.00 to 122.00. Apparently I had to buy an AT&T service to keep my previous price. I live in NM and the only way I know of to watch Sabre's games is Center Ice. I bought a Roku device for that reason. Does anyone have any experience streaming Center Ice? Do you get a choice in which team's feed you get to watch? Comcast was a crap shoot as to whether it would be the Buffalo broadcast or not. Directv always gave the option. Not sure how well this will work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm in the Dallas Stars' TV market so I'm going to buy NHL.tv, hopefully they still have the student discount? This would give me access to every Sabres game not against the Stars or on national TV, and I think there are what, 7 of those? So I think it's worth it. 

Now, I only have a laptop here, so should I just buy chromecast to use? I don't know how any of this stuff works. 

I'm in the Dallas Stars' TV market so I'm going to buy NHL.tv, hopefully they still have the student discount? This would give me access to every Sabres game not against the Stars or on national TV, and I think there are what, 7 of those? So I think it's worth it.

Now, I only have a laptop here, so should I just buy chromecast to use? I don't know how any of this stuff works.

That would probably work. I would do some googling to see how people using NHL.tv with Chromecast feel about it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.