Beaulieu Signs for 2 years 2.4 AAV

Brawndo

I get that an Accrued NHL season is defined as 40 NHL games. But then why did his 13/14 season count, when he only played 24 games? Unless that season didn't count either, and he's only got 3 accrued seasons to his name at this time?

Edited by Thorny

I get that an Accrued NHL season is defined as 40 NHL games. But then why did his 13/14 season count, when he only played 24 games? Unless that season didn't count either, and he's only got 3 accrued seasons to his name at this time?

Not positive about '13-'14 'cause not sure how many games he was on the roster but didn't dress.

He might only have 3 years at present. Either way, he's still an RFA when this one is done.

2 different accounting systems.

He was a pro that year, but not an NHLer.

One counts towards pensions, the other towards FA status.

Not positive about '13-'14 'cause not sure how many games he was on the roster but didn't dress.

He might only have 3 years at present. Either way, he's still an RFA when this one is done.

Ah yes, thanks, I always forget that.

I think he must only have 3 accrued seasons., as for it to count as an NHL game, you have to dress.

Seconded. I'll take it one further and predict he's the next great stats vs. eye test battle on Sabrespace.

Good stats, bad eye test?

I think a lot will like him, if only because he's an inarguably large upgrade over Gorges or Falk.

Slightly pricy imo. I expected 2 x 3, got 2.4 x 2. Not great, but not bad.

Was never going to be a 3 year deal cuz then he would have been a UFA after the deal expired. This way, you see how he progresses, if at all, and maybe sign him long-term.

Ya, so I think Beaulieu only has 3 accrued seasons thus far, and will only have 5 at the end of this contract. However, that hardly matters, as he'll be 26 at the end of the deal and one of those players that reaches UFA status due to age (27) before years accrued (7). So the deal at 2 years is exactly what it had to be, leaving him at RFA status for one more season when this deal expires.

Seconded. I'll take it one further and predict he's the next great stats vs. eye test battle on Sabrespace.

Curious about this because I know nothing about his fancy stats.

I expect to be annoyed by the number of times he coughs the puck up and makes poor reads.

I hope it's balanced by bigger numbers than he created in Montreal and a surprising gritty streak.

Immaterial of anything, the guy does strike me as a DB.

Edited by dudacek

Curious about his because I know nothing about his fancy stats.

I expect to be annoyed by the number of times he coughs the puck up and makes poor reads.

I hope it's balanced by bigger numbers than he created in Montreal and a surprising gritty streak.

Immaterial of anything, the guy does strike me as a DB.

He may get more, but even if what we saw last year is what we get, 28 points is pretty decent, considering that other than Ristolainen, it's a total 8 higher than the next closest Sabres Defenceman last season.

I think this is a great signing. 2.4 million isn't that much for a defenseman. His 28 points last year puts him as the #2 defensive scorer on the team and 9th skater overall. The 2 year term is fine, especially as he's still an RFA. This is a great deal for someone we acquired for a 3rd round pick. The board also seems to buy into HCPH being a "D-whisperer" so I think his game will improve as well.

What's not to like about this?

Fair show me deal, I thought we got Beaulieu for a bargain 3rd rounder, now at a bargain for 2.4M per season. He's gone up in points each of his 1st 3 seasons starting, I think he could be a solid contributor on defense, solid job by Botteril not going with more term just in case he doesn't pan out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.