2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

When Wilson returns (and assuming all other forwards are not on LTIR), JBOT needs to make a move of one of the current group.

Candidates are:
Mitts and Tage - Even though waiver exempt, not happening

That leaves Elie and EROD - Would have to clear waivers.   Both are RFA after this season but EROD does have Arbitration rights (not a JBOT preference).  Elie is more replaceable but EROD may offer more value in a trade and Asplund may be able to take over that spot if needed. 

What will JBOT do?

37 minutes ago, Tondas said:

When Wilson returns (and assuming all other forwards are not on LTIR), JBOT needs to make a move of one of the current group.

Candidates are:
Mitts and Tage - Even though waiver exempt, not happening

That leaves Elie and EROD - Would have to clear waivers.   Both are RFA after this season but EROD does have Arbitration rights (not a JBOT preference).  Elie is more replaceable but EROD may offer more value in a trade and Asplund may be able to take over that spot if needed. 

What will JBOT do?

Wilson very likely goes down.  (I expect about 60% chance Wilson goes down, 40% Elie goes.)

Wilson is under contract for over $1MM through next season.  He also has missed 1/3 of this season, so could still be nursing effects of the injury after he is back.  Elie is an RFA making league minimum with a history from Dallas & could be claimed by them AND sent to their farm club.  Rodrigues only makes $735k, can play any F position, is a good PKer, has played the PP, and is an RFA as well.

Would be surprised if anybody would claim Wilson.  Dallas more than likely would claim Elie.  Somebody would most likely claim E-Rod.  Can't see Botterill giving away an asset.  "Cutting" Wilson (hi Liger ;)) gives the lowest likelihood of losing an asset short of weakening the lineup by sending an ELC to Ra-cha-cha.  And if the Fedun deal was made in part to keep Dallas from claiming Elie, would move the odds slightly towards Elie getting sent down over Wilson.

And, all that said, doubt we get fully healthy to even make it an issue.  (We're fully into the grind of the season.)

I think Wilson over Elie is an easy call as long as Wilson doesn't have lingering issues. 

The Sabres are not the Colorado Avalanche; they will not win games or play good hockey letting 3 lines get caved in all game, because their top line is not scoring the most of any line since Heatley-Alfredsson-Spezza like Colorado's is. This is why I talk a bizarre amount about the Berglund line. When our 4th line is out there occupying the offensive zone and cycling beautifully, our first lines are that much better for it, and the Sabres don't have fans complaining about getting outshot by 20, or out-corsi-ed by 40, because whatever you want to say about stats, when that is happening, like last night, it's clear to everyone and their grandmother who is going to win the game. 

Remi Elie has pep and speed, but has blown up whatever line he's on, in terms of being able to do anything sustainably good. Scott Wilson is a player you have to be careful with, but he's shown the ability to make lines work, and scored 14 points in 49 games last year, something Elie was not pacing for. Wilson is just more useful and we have a better chance of playing sustainably good hockey (which we have played in plenty of games this season) with him playing than we do with Elie. 

Now that the streak is over, it's time to stop messing around. If an entire forum can tell you that Berglund-Sobotka-Pominville is a disaster waiting to happen, Phil, and that Berglund-Girg-Larry is the most effective 4th line this team has had in a decade, it's a little frustrating to see the former and not the latter and get run out of the building as expected. I'm not saying that was the difference between us winning and losing, but Berglund on goofy lines like that has failed every time, and 10-28-22 has been surprisingly good every time. 

No more screwing around - find combinations that work, practice dutifully, rest hard, and get back to playing the smooth and focused Buffalo Sabres hockey we've gotten plenty of glimpses of but know we won't see doing things like that. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From what I’ve seen, Wilson is a better player than Elie.

Elie is cheaper, may have more upside (based solely on age and draft status) and has more unique game for this team.

Interesting call.

I would agree that Wilson is (slightly) better than Elie.  Would say he's comparable in usefulness to Rodrigues though I prefer E-Rod (YMMV).  I'd put both of them (Wilson & E-Rod) slightly ahead of Sobotka in terms of usefulness, but realize Housley prefers Sobotka.  And, if training camp lines mean anything, E-Rod was ahead of Wilson in Housley's eye as well.

Because Wilson is in the mix for 13th F on this team & has a contract that pays better than 13's typically get; I don't see him getting claimedif he goes to waivers.  All things equal, Elie would be the guy getting sent down.  But they aren't equal.

Like you said, interesting call.  Let's hope the team is healthy enough we get to find out how Botterill would answer it.

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think Wilson over Elie is an easy callIas long as Wilson doesn't have lingering issues. 

The Sabres are not the Colorado Avalanche: they will not win games or play good hockey letting 3 lines get caved in all game, because their top line is not scoring the most of any line since Heatley-Alfredsson-Spezza like Colorado's is. This is why I talk a bizarre amount about the Berglund line. When our 4th line is out there occupying the offensive zone and cycling beautifully, our first lines are that much better for it, and the Sabres don't have fans complaining about getting outshot by 20, or out-corsi-ed by 40, because whatever you want to say about stats, when that is happening, like last night, it's clear to everyone and their grandmother who is going to win the game. 

Remi Elie has pep and speed, but has blown up whatever line he's on, in terms of being able to do anything sustainably good. Scott Wilson is a player you have to be careful with, but he's shown the ability to make lines work, and scored 14 points in 49 games last year, something Elie was not pacing for. Wilson is just more useful and we have a better chance of playing sustainably good hockey (which we have played in plenty of games this season) with him playing than we do with Elie. 

Now that the streak is over, it's time to stop messing around. If an entire forum can tell you that Berglund-Sobotka-Pominville is a disaster waiting to happen, Phil, and that Berglund-Girg-Larry is the most effective 4th line this team has had in a decade, it's a little frustrating to see the former and not the latter and get run out of the building as expected. I'm not saying that was the difference between us winning and losing, but Berglund on goofy lines like that has failed every time, and 10-28-22 has been surprisingly good every time. 

No more screwing around - find combinations that work, practice dutifully, rest hard, and get back to playing the smooth and focused Buffalo Sabres hockey we've gotten plenty of glimpses of but know we won't see doing things like that. 

Wilson over Elie INTO the top 12 for any extended time is an easy choice.

Wilson over Elie as the 14th skater (aka designated definite press box guy) isn't as easy because the 15th skater may be leaving your organization.  And that is the question we are (ok, I am) pondering.

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Nelson would drop down with Pilut. 

Hunwick still has to be activated from IR 

Considering Pilut has only played 1 game to date, so he hasn't had time to gel with Nelson, why not play somebody else with Hunwick so Pilut can get more comfortable with the guy he will be playing with?

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Considering Pilut has only played 1 game to date, so he hasn't had time to gel with Nelson, why not play somebody else with Hunwick so Pilut can get more comfortable with the guy he will be playing with?

My Pairs would be

Risto-Dahlin 

Bogo-Beaulieu 

Pilut-Nelson 

or if McCabe is back

Risto-McCabe

Bogo-Dahlin

Beaulieu-Nelson

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

My Pairs would be

Risto-Dahlin 

Bogo-Beaulieu 

Pilut-Nelson 

or if McCabe is back

Risto-McCabe

Bogo-Dahlin

Beaulieu-Nelson

Which brings me back to my original poorly worded question: is/will McCabe or Scandella (be) ready to play tomorrow?

If one is (particularly McCabe), I totally get the practice pairings.  But if neither of those 2 are back then let Pilut practice with the guy he'll be playing with.

McCabe is a possibility, Scandella was sent home with Pominville to Buffalo 

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Which brings me back to my original poorly worded question: is/will McCabe or Scandella (be) ready to play tomorrow?

If one is (particularly McCabe), I totally get the practice pairings.  But if neither of those 2 are back then let Pilut practice with the guy he'll be playing with.

Edited by Brawndo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.