2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

Honestly I think this guy sounds like a moron. We dominated the Ducks, Habs, and Kings. Since when are the Habs world beaters? An 'off night' lol fck outta here with that

Once I read how he said MTL just had an off night and saw he was a TSN reporter I just went, he's not trustworthy 

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

William Nylander would be such a coup if the Sabres could get him. So many possible pros to him being a Sabres.

This just isn’t going to happen. The cost (in assets and $$$) is way too steep and Toronto isn’t flipping him to a division rival.

• Like (+1) 3

Kelly is the same guy in that interview who said he likes the Montreal Canadiens depth better then Buffalo even though buffalo has Dahlin and Eichel. I mean... that's just a special level of dumb. Anyone needing to take a shot at Dahlin is compensating for a Montreal team that's very thin in the prospect pool. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, inkman said:

That part I get buy the whole trading for and signing him seems a little far fetched.

I don't know, Toronto needs an RHD, and I'm fast looking at Risto as the expendable one. His game has been sketchy for the better part of this early season, as well as last season as well. With both Pilut and Borgen looking decent in Rochester, I'd move Risto for the right piece.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't know, Toronto needs an RHD, and I'm fast looking at Risto as the expendable one. His game has been sketchy for the better part of this early season, as well as last season as well. With both Pilut and Borgen looking decent in Rochester, I'd move Risto for the right piece.

Would you do Risto + decent prospect say Aspulin (sp?) for Nylander 

1 hour ago, bobs0108 said:

Would you do Risto + decent prospect say Aspulin (sp?) for Nylander 

No, I don't believe it would be necessary. Risto for Nylander straight up. They need that D piece more than we need the winger currently, as they are pushing for cementing that contention window.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Giving them Risto, in this imaginary impossible scenario, wouldn't help them considerably. They can't afford Nylander, shedding a mill or two isn't really gonna do the trick. 

Not sure if they'd see it that way. Risto is an RHD, they've been looking for one. Seems to fit the bill. Not saying it's the optimal trade for them, a divisional foe and all, but something I believe they would consider.

Still not really interested in trading Risto,  especially to a divisional rival. As I said before in the off-season, I’d want a trade akin to Draisital for Risto. He’s a 24 year old gritty RHD who can play well on the PP, has above average skating ability, and still has a long career ahead of him.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Still not really interested in trading Risto,  especially to a divisional rival. As I said before in the off-season, I’d want a trade akin to Draisital for Risto. He’s a 24 year old gritty RHD who can play well on the PP, has above average skating ability, and still has a long career ahead of him.

His skating is good, so is Pilut's. Gritty? I don't see it. I see a minute eater, who, quite honestly, hasn't corrected his stick problem yet, continues to get beat to the puck in his own zone a good portion of the time, does not handle offensive forechecks against him well, seems to throw panic passes when pressured in his own zone, especially along the boards, and speaking of boards, his D zone board work is less than desirable, hence the panic passes I suspect. My biggest problem with him is his inability, or perhaps, his unwillingness to use his large body to clear the front of the net, and I know we've seen this time and time again.

I'm not sold on Risto at all to be honest. These aren't new issues, many, if not all plus more I didn't list are ongoing issues that I have seen 0 progress in for well over a season now. Only time will tell, yes, he's still fairly young, but as I originally indicated, he's expendable, to me in any event.

Props to dudacek for continuing to believe in Jake McCabe - the guy is playing like a legitimate second-pairing-defenseman-on-a-good-defensive-team right now. 

He and Risto could be a solid second pair behind Dahlin and someone (Pilut ? ) for a long time, if he keeps it up. I hope he does. 

Our D is certainly not our issue if we have any glaring issues right now, though it's still on the brain-fart side of the spectrum IMO. The farts aren't yet as bad as we've seen, though it was a little alarming against the big fast BJs, and I'm worried about how we'll handle the real Eastern teams when we start playing them. 

We need to take advantage of this upcoming stretch with lots of Ottawa, NYR, MTL etc. before we start seeing Tampa and Pittsburgh and Winnipeg every other game later this month

Never break up the Bergy line until it starts getting scored on and shot against. 

dark is right about Casey - he's close enough that you keep him here and he'll play the last half of the season at a nice scoring clip I think. 

What was up with ERod? Hopefully positive news, are he and his wife having a kid? That line missed his play - Tage was hesitant and unsure on a couple of pucks that ERod would have pounced on, and as a result we got scored on. Tage can head to Rochester to get his confidence back any time now. And yes, that was a nice assist.

Jeff Skinner is decent. Jack&Sam&Sheary are banged up and looked like it. Games 6-11 are why Sheary is a "middle six" forward and not a "top six" forward, and that's all we need him to be. I don't believe that Jack has been fully healthy yet this season. Can't wait til he is. And he always does his goal scoring like this - he spends a month or two looking like he'll only get 20, and then hell rip off 7 goals in 10 games, and settle in at a 32-35 goal pace. For now he's more than happy to defer to Skinner, the hot hand, but at some point like all goal scorers Skinner will go through a dry patch and Jack will start shooting on those maddening slot chances 

Edited by Randall Flagg

• 2 weeks later...

That OT play last night could have ended the same as the CGY game... Risto takes the puck in deep, turns it over and gets beat down the ice... only this time the MTL player shoots it high and wide.     I'll take it, but people wonder why Risto is a -12 and every other defenseman on the team is even or a plus player.... there's visual evidence.      He makes poor decisions and doesn't have the speed or quickness to make up for them.  

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

That OT play last night could have ended the same as the CGY game... Risto takes the puck in deep, turns it over and gets beat down the ice... only this time the MTL player shoots it high and wide.     I'll take it, but people wonder why Risto is a -12 and every other defenseman on the team is even or a plus player.... there's visual evidence.      He makes poor decisions and doesn't have the speed or quickness to make up for them.  

Give those others his ice time and watch the +/- go down.

And Risto is plenty fast. At the end of his shift with his legs wobbling to make that turn, he still out-skated the Montreal forward to get that shot off.

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He really needs to work on his skating.  It's bad.  He's 6'5?  His stride length is terribly short and he's not getting his legs close enough to center to generate power on each stride.  I don't know if he's regressed in skating but it's something I've noticed about him over the past few years.

When he tries to skate fast he looks like he's 5'10 but also not getting any power.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Give those others his ice time and watch the +/- go down.

And Risto is plenty fast. At the end of his shift with his legs wobbling to make that turn, he still out-skated the Montreal forward to get that shot off.

There really is no reason to have Risto at 26 (and 2 more ES minutes than his own partner) with Dahlin at 16. Giving Dahlin 19 is still "sheltering," and Risto at 23 is better for him and the team.

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm with you. He's not a smart player. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.