2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

My thoughts on 2018-2019.

This line up assumes players in the organization today.  Hopefully, they will sign a couple of UFAs and maybe get Dahlin.

1. Buy out Moulson and Pominville – It will eat up cap space for the next two years, but with the influx of young players the cap should not be a problem for two years.  Let’s give the young ones the ice time.
  2. Re-sign 2 of the current UFAs (Nelson and Johnson).  Nelson has been very good and is a right shot.  Johnson can spell Ullmark in net.
  3. Girgensons/Larsson – Pick one and trade the other.
  4. Middlestadt is on the big club as is Nylander.
  5. Get rid of Bowl-loo.

Your 2018 – 2019 Buffalo Sabres

C. J. Smith           Eichel                   Reinhart

Nylander              ROR                     Okposo

O’Regan              Middlestadt           E-Rod   

Wilson                  Girgs/Larry           Baptiste

Scandella                                          Nelson

Guhle                                                Risto

McCabe                                            Bogo

Ullmark

Johnson

hopefully our 2018 first rounder will also slot in there, whoever that may be??

Offseason from fantasy land - buckle up.

The Sabres are blessed and win the right to draft Rasmus Dahlin. 

They trade that right with Ryan O'Reilly and Alex Nylander to St. Louis, a team looking  for changes after sliding out of a playoff spot despite leading their division for months. In return, the Sabres acquire Vince Dunn, Vladimir Sobotka, Joel Edmundson, and the big prize, Colton Parayko. The Sabres trade Rasmus Ristolainen, Casey Mittelstadt, and two seconds to Carolina for Sebastian Aho and Jordan Staal. 

The Sabres sign John Tavares to a large contract. They Sign Letestu and Pateryn to smaller contracts. They also acquire Grubauer.

Aho - Eichel - Rodrigues

xxx - Tavares - Reinhart

xxx - Staal - Okposo

Sobotka - Letestu - Girgensons

Kids fight for those two left wing slots.

Scandella - Parayko

Edmundson - Dunn

Antipin - Nelson

Grubauer 

Ullmark

Who isn't watching come October 2018???

lolCarolina wouldn't take that trade, I might need to up the ante somehow. Next year's first too.

I didn’t know that Tim Murray was on Sabrespace. Welcome Tim. Sorry the job didn’t work out.

Offseason from fantasy land - buckle up.

The Sabres are blessed and win the right to draft Rasmus Dahlin. 

They trade that right with Ryan O'Reilly and Alex Nylander to St. Louis, a team looking  for changes after sliding out of a playoff spot despite leading their division for months. In return, the Sabres acquire Vince Dunn, Vladimir Sobotka, Joel Edmundson, and the big prize, Colton Parayko. The Sabres trade Rasmus Ristolainen, Casey Mittelstadt, and two seconds to Carolina for Sebastian Aho and Jordan Staal. 

The Sabres sign John Tavares to a large contract. They Sign Letestu and Pateryn to smaller contracts. They also acquire Grubauer.

Aho - Eichel - Rodrigues

xxx - Tavares - Reinhart

xxx - Staal - Okposo

Sobotka - Letestu - Girgensons

Kids fight for those two left wing slots.

Scandella - Parayko

Edmundson - Dunn

Antipin - Nelson

Grubauer 

Ullmark

Who isn't watching come October 2018???

lol

Carolina wouldn't take that trade, I might need to up the ante somehow. Next year's first too. 

The second trade to Carolina, makes absolutely no sense.  Pass. 

The Sabres trade Rasmus Ristolainen, Casey Mittelstadt, 

No.

My thoughts on 2018-2019.

This line up assumes players in the organization today.  Hopefully, they will sign a couple of UFAs and maybe get Dahlin.

1. Buy out Moulson and Pominville – It will eat up cap space for the next two years, but with the influx of young players the cap should not be a problem for two years.  Let’s give the young ones the ice time.
  2. Re-sign 2 of the current UFAs (Nelson and Johnson).  Nelson has been very good and is a right shot.  Johnson can spell Ullmark in net.
  3. Girgensons/Larsson – Pick one and trade the other.
  4. Middlestadt is on the big club as is Nylander.
  5. Get rid of Bowl-loo.

Your 2018 – 2019 Buffalo Sabres

C. J. Smith           Eichel                   Reinhart

Nylander              ROR                     Okposo

O’Regan              Middlestadt           E-Rod   

Wilson                  Girgs/Larry           Baptiste

McCabe                                            Bogo

Ullmark

Johnson

This lineup is a little more reasonable to me. I'm just going to make some slight tweaks.

-Put Reinhart on the ROR line to start with. He's more than capable of being a top liner, but I'd like to see him see if he can prove if the last couple of months are for real. Likewise, Okposo has looked very good when teamed with Eichel.

-I want Nylander to succeed, but I'm not convinced he should be allowed to start next season the 4th line, let alone 2nd.

-Preferably, Sabres win the lotto. Realistically, they end up in the top 5 and can still land a quality NHL-ready forward.

-I'd prefer Mittlestadt at least start the year in Rochester, unless he proves that the AHL is just too easy for him.

-I feel like JBots will make at least one quality FA signing. I'll just put Tavares in as a a placeholder.

-Personally, Keep Girgos over Larsson. I just love that klutzy Latvian.

So with that said:

MY 2018 – 2019 Buffalo Sabres

Tavares                Eichel                   Okposo

Svechnikov          ROR                     Reinhart

C.J. Smith            O'Regan               E-Rod   

Wilson                  Girgensons           Baptiste

McCabe                                            Antipin

Ullmark

Johnson

Edited by Ho-Chi-Sock

I wasn't aiming to be "reasonable", hence labeling it as a "fantasy land offseason"...

Also Aho and Staal has more value than Risto and Casey, just saying

A 20 year old star that's going to have 70 points this year on an offensively challenged team, drives play heavily by himself, and one of the best defensive centers in the game, for a power play defenseman that gets caved in when he's on the ice and a prospect whose post draft production is reminiscent of Tyson Jost

Why? Aho is elite at 20 years old, and Staal is a very good two way center. Risto suxxxxx. 

I wasn't aiming to be "reasonable", hence labeling it as a "fantasy land offseason"...

Also Aho and Staal has more value than Risto and Casey, just saying

A 20 year old star that's going to have 70 points this year on an offensively challenged team, drives play heavily by himself, and one of the best defensive centers in the game, for a power play defenseman that gets caved in when he's on the ice and a prospect whose post draft production is reminiscent of Tyson Jost

OMG Steve Burtch posts on Sabrespace!!! :nana:

The Sabres obviously have to stop pretending that Risto is Subban/Karlsson/Doughty, but he's posting a positive relative Corsi for the first time in his career. Blip? Maybe. But I think it has more to do with playing with not-Gorges/McCabe. And it's not like Scandella is the type that can lug an anchor around the ice either; he's just good enough to provide a certain level of competence on the left side.

That said, I think the value is pretty fair...but I really don't want Staal's contract on the books unless I can flip Okposo somewhere.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

OMG Steve Burtch posts on Sabrespace!!! :nana:

The Sabres obviously have to stop pretending that Risto is Subban/Karlsson/Doughty, but he's posting a positive relative Corsi for the first time in his career. Blip? Maybe. But I think it has more to do with playing with not-Gorges/McCabe. And it's not like Scandella is the type that can lug an anchor around the ice either; he's just good enough to provide a certain level of competence on the left side.

That said, I think the value is pretty fair...but I really don't want Staal's contract on the books unless I can flip Okposo somewhere.

Oh I'm sure the contracts are a nightmare in my scenario haha. I have no clue what Parayko is signed at or if he's due for a mammoth increase soon. 

It would be so nice to win that draft lottery though. 

Also, Aho-Eichel would eventually become a franchise staple pairing like LaFontaine-Mogilny, and the French Connection

I'm curious as to your logic here.

Probably a leader who can take minutes which allow us to use our second best offensive player, not in some of the hardest minutes in the league. 

I think using ROR the way we do screams low-event still, and I don't think he's magically preventing enough goals by himself to be worth not using him with Eichel, or him and Eichel separately, in situations to maximize their offensive skill. It'd be sick to build a legit defensive line with Staal/Sobotka type players who can actually excel against top competition so that we can let Eichel and ROR feast. Hell, stick them together. Bergeron-Marchand-Pasta isn't exactly hurting Boston being top heavy. They're absurdly good together. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Also, Aho-Eichel would eventually become a franchise staple pairing like LaFontaine-Mogilny, and the French Connection

Probably a leader who can take minutes which allow us to use our second best offensive player, not in some of the hardest minutes in the league. 

I definitely agree we could use a 3rd center to ease the defensive burden on O'Reilly, but that's a spot I'd prefer to get some value...or at least avoid a contract with the longer-term cliff scenario Staal carries.

...and particularly if we added Tavares, I'm not sure I'd give a flying F who else played center for us :lol:

I definitely agree we could use a 3rd center to ease the defensive burden on O'Reilly, but that's a spot I'd prefer to get some value...or at least avoid a contract with the longer-term cliff scenario Staal carries.

...and particularly if we added Tavares, I'm not sure I'd give a flying F who else played center for us :lol:

Rasmus Asplund swooping out of nowhere and winning that roster spot in camp

(He's my favorite forward prospect on this team (not the one I think is best necessarily, but my favorite player) and I so so hope he works out the way it looks like he could)

I'm curious as to your logic here.

Vet. Cup winner. Tough to play against. Young enough to still play and command respect. Can carry a developing winger. Huge improvement to our third and fourth lines.

Jack Kyle, Ryan Sam, Staal Casey, Larry Girgs.

I’m sure we we can find the other four guys out of Wilson, Smith, ERod, Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, and O’Reagan

We need to stop wanting to Tim Murray this roster. We need some stability. We need to decide on a core and keep it. I think Risto, Sam, Casey are part of that core and build around them.

Chilllllllllllll

"fantasy land"

Nobody is being serious aside from the guys with the boring moves that you'd approve of

Although if we could pull off those exact moves...A core of Eichel-ROR-Risto-Reinhart-Scandella-Dahlin can't touch a core of Eichel-Tavares-Parayko-Aho-Reinhart-Staal-Edmundson-Scandella

But again, "fantasy land" 

• 3 months later...

So where do we stand right now?

Players under contract

Forwards (8) Jack, ROR, Okposo, Pominville, Larsson, ERod, Girgensons, and Mittelstadt

Defense (7) Risto, Bogo, Scandella, McCabe, Beaulieu + Guhle and Nelson.

Goalies (1) Ullmark

Cap hit total: $57,319,524 leaving 21 mil plus for the rest of the roster.  Key players yet to sign, Dahlin, Reinhart and Wilson.  Projected cap cost 6,700,000, with potential $3 mil in bonuses to Dahlin.

Jbot has made some things clear so far

No buyouts.

Mittelstadt and Dahlin are starters for the Sabres next year. 

Ullmark is likely our backup in Buffalo

Pilut is expected to start the year in Roch

Wilson (although not qualified) and Reinhart are going to be re-signed and he also qualified Bailey, Baptiste, Smith, Malone, and O'Regan.  Antipin not returning.  New prospect Hickey can be signed (and is expected to sign) on July 1 or soon thereafter.

ROR still on the trading block and maybe Risto also.

No word on keeping any of our UFAs (except Wilson), but doubtfully anyone of them return.

Projected Lineup as of today

Sheary Eichel Okposo

Erod ROR Reinhart

Olofsson/Smith/Wilson Mittelstadt Baptiste/Bailey

Smith/Wilson O’Regan Pominville

Scandella Ristolainen

McCabe Dahlin

Guhle Bogo

Hunwick Nelson

Baloo

NEXT season, once Dahlin & Mittelstadt have some experience & some others fade away into the sunset (cough, cough, Pominville, broken Bogosian (1 way or another)), that's actually not too far from reasonable.

Though flipping Sheary & Rodrigues might make the top 6 overall more productive.

So what if the alleged ROR trade go through kind of as described?

ROR/McCabe for Parayko/Sobotka and pieces.

ERod Eichel Okposo

Sheary Sobotka Reinhart

W/S/O Mittelstadt Ba/Bap

W/S O’Regan Pominville

Scandella Ristolainen

Dahlin Parayko

Guhle Bogo

Hunwick Nelson

Baloo

Hutton? Bernier?

Ullmark

NEXT season, once Dahlin & Mittelstadt have some experience & some others fade away into the sunset (cough, cough, Pominville, broken Bogosian (1 way or another)), that's actually not too far from reasonable.

Though flipping Sheary & Rodrigues might make the top 6 overall more productive.

Why would be be lucky enough to be rid of Bogo a season early?

So what if the alleged ROR trade go through kind of as described?

ROR/McCabe for Parayko/Sobotka and pieces.

ERod Eichel Okposo

Sheary Sobotka Reinhart

W/S/O Mittelstadt Ba/Bap

W/S O’Regan Pominville

Scandella Ristolainen

Dahlin Parayko

Guhle Bogo

Hunwick Nelson

Baloo

Hutton? Bernier?

Ullmark

I'd bet Sheary starts with Eichel regardless. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.