2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

I think you are confusing flashy with dynamic.  Patrice Bergeron is a dynamic player, but he plays the same type of game as Reinhart, just better.  Max Afinogenov was flashy but not dynamic.  He would get you of our seat and then blow the play.  

I agree that Samson hasn't been as dynamic in the pros.  He simply isn't fast enough.  However, in Juniors he controlled the puck at will and anyone who can do that is a dynamic hockey player.  

McDavid and Crosby are everything.  Smart, skilled, play fast etc... Jack is getting there, again just not at their level but he doesn't have to be.  Dahlin has that type of potential.  I'm not sure about Casey.  He seems to have a similar tool set as Jack, but not the finish. He didn't have it college and doesn't yet have it in the pros.  

2 minutes ago, Robviously said:

He played well again today. 

Though he didn't score, believe this was his best game.  If he can keep playing like this we could have 4 lines that all work.  Had you told me we'd see that next year, would have agreed absolutely.  This year?  Prior to the winning streak, nope, wouldn't have bought it until mid-February at the earliest. 

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Though he didn't score, believe this was his best game.  If he can keep playing like this we could have 4 lines that all work.  Had you told me we'd see that next year, would have agreed absolutely.  This year?  Prior to the winning streak, nope, wouldn't have bought it until mid-February at the earliest. 

With both Mittelstadt and Sobotka stepping up, and now TT coming on, our four lines are starting to feel pretty good. We already have the best top line and best checking line we’ve had in ages. 

20 minutes ago, Robviously said:

With both Mittelstadt and Sobotka stepping up, and now TT coming on, our four lines are starting to feel pretty good. We already have the best top line and best checking line we’ve had in ages. 

Hard to beat a team that can roll 4 effective lines.  Effective doesn't always mean scoring either.  How many penalties has Z drawn?  How much has Angry Larry inspired his teammates.  I'll admit I thought both these guys would be gone sooner then later, but I love the effort they are giving now each night in a defined role that suits them.  Good on Larry and Z.

47 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Eating crow alert.  I was get rid of either or both of Zemgus and Larry before the season.    They have embraced their roles and are valued contributors to the team.

That’s nothing. I was DEMANDING that they get rid of both of them. Oops. 

Edited by Robviously

16 hours ago, Tondas said:

Eating crow alert.  I was get rid of either or both of Zemgus and Larry before the season.    They have embraced their roles and are valued contributors to the team.

But.... to take that next step, they need 4th line guys who can play as well defensively as them and also contriube on the scoresheet.    They just don't produce enough offense IMO.  

I thought Elie played pretty well last night considering the circumstances.  He skates well and fast.  Forechecks. Made a few good offensive plays.  Frankly he didn’t look all that different then Z out there.

Hard decisions coming for the Sabres.  There have been a couple recent articles on the progress on Wilson and Hunwick. The easy solution of sending TT down and releasing Elie, isn’t happening at least as to TT.  Obviously other injuries could change the situation, right now I hve no idea what Jbot is going to do.

I think 2 forwards are likely to be moved, but I think Baloo might also be a candidate to be moved.  Depth from Roch makes the Baloo move possible.

1) Elie - waiver acquisition; waiver exit.  Not guaranteed.  Cheap player and only 23.  Save $1 mill over Girgensons.

2) Girgensons - RFA earning 1.6.  Phyiscal player who can play all positions, but has been past on the depth chat by Angry Larry.

3) Baloo - Guhle and Pilut bring what he brings for a lot less and Nelson is signed for another year and is an RHD.

others?

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I thought Elie played pretty well last night considering the circumstances.  He skates well and fast.  Forechecks. Made a few good offensive plays.  Frankly he didn’t look all that different then Z out there.

Hard decisions coming for the Sabres.  There have been a couple recent articles on the progress on Wilson and Hunwick. The easy solution of sending TT down and releasing Elie, isn’t happening at least as to TT.  Obviously other injuries could change the situation, right now I hve no idea what Jbot is going to do.

I think 2 forwards are likely to be moved, but I think Baloo might also be a candidate to be moved.  Depth from Roch makes the Baloo move possible.

1) Elie - waiver acquisition; waiver exit.  Not guaranteed.  Cheap player and only 23.  Save $1 mill over Girgensons.

2) Girgensons - RFA earning 1.6.  Phyiscal player who can play all positions, but has been past on the depth chat by Angry Larry.

3) Baloo - Guhle and Pilut bring what he brings for a lot less and Nelson is signed for another year and is an RHD.

others?

I'm not a big fan of Nate's but he does bring a comfort factor the other two wouldn't. When the playoffs come around and players like a McCleod or Martin start taking "liberties" with your star players, who's gonna step up? Bogo? I think I'd rather keep Nate as a 7th/8th D and hope Pilut/ Guhle can push their way into a higher slot.

Not a huge deal breaker though and agree with you, I just like that comfort factor. Paying Nate more just because he "might" have to step up and that maybe adding a player like Pilut/ Guhle could benefit us more, will be deciding factors.

33 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'm not a big fan of Nate's but he does bring a comfort factor the other two wouldn't. When the playoffs come around and players like a McCleod or Martin start taking "liberties" with your star players, who's gonna step up? Bogo? I think I'd rather keep Nate as a 7th/8th D and hope Pilut/ Guhle can push their way into a higher slot.

Not a huge deal breaker though and agree with you, I just like that comfort factor. Paying Nate more just because he "might" have to step up and that maybe adding a player like Pilut/ Guhle could benefit us more, will be deciding factors.

Risto, Bogo and McCabe are all pretty feisty.  Hunwick is also physical. 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm pretty sure you know what I meant (dropping the gloves) and wouldn't want any of the first 3 you mentioned taking that chance. The reasons being both getting hurt and being in the box instead of on the ice. Hunwick I don't know alot about him but do recall some physicality over the years.

19 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'm pretty sure you know what I meant (dropping the gloves) and wouldn't want any of the first 3 you mentioned taking that chance. The reasons being both getting hurt and being in the box instead of on the ice. Hunwick I don't know alot about him but do recall some physicality over the years.

Bogo has had 3 fights since he returned this season.  In fact, I think one of his fights on the West Coast trip changed the complexion of a game and the Sabres have been hot ever since.  I hate to admit this, but I don't want Bogo to get hurt during a fight either.  By the way Scandella is also very physical.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hunwick doesn't factor into this team's plans, I don't think. I think he either gets cut, sent to Rochester or loaned to another AHL team at some point. But otherwise your point is right. Risto, Bogo, McCabe, Berglund, Larry and Zemgus are all plenty physical to cut that stuff down.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

others?

I think the likelihood of a trade to free up roster space is very low and is zero in the case of Beaulieu.  Someone is usually injured.  If they were really in a pinch they could waive Hunwick or Pommer since no one is going to take those contracts.  

The reports on Guhle this year are not great.  Hunwick hasn’t played a minute this year and was a frequent healthy scratch last year.  There is NFW they are going to trade Beaulieu to make room for either of those 2.  

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I think the likelihood of a trade to free up roster space is very low and is zero in the case of Beaulieu.  Someone is usually injured.  If they were really in a pinch they could waive Hunwick or Pommer since no one is going to take those contracts.  

The reports on Guhle this year are not great.  Hunwick hasn’t played a minute this year and was a frequent healthy scratch last year.  There is NFW they are going to trade Beaulieu to make room for either of those 2.  

We are currently carrying 14 forwards and 7D.  When Wilson and Hunwick return, something has to give. Assuming we remain healthy, we are going to need to open up two roster spots for them.  Like I said Elie is the most likely to depart, but if management wants Hunwick in Buffalo, then someone else needs to go.  

We are on the hook for this season and next on Hunwick.  He is going to be in Buffalo once healthy and will likely spend most of that time in the pressbox, but he is insurance for Bogo and Scandella because he plays their kind of game (but obviously not as well).  Baloo is expendable because we can recall Pilut (who I noticed you failed to mention) if we need a LHD puck moving D to step into the lineup.  Right now with Scandella, McCabe and Dahlin we are pretty set at LHD.  Furthermore because of Pilut's development Baloo won't be re-signed by this franchise.  This means better to get something for him.  

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

For the one millionth time - who gives a ***** what it’s called. Waive, cut. Learn to pick your battles, dude.

It matters what you call it. Waving and cutting are not the same thing. So I give a f##k and others should too. Around here, I think being precise matters. You can waive a player, which you go on to describe but you cannot cut a player. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

You’re just showing your bias.  

Struck a nerve huh? 

Edited by LGR4GM

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We are currently carrying 14 forwards and 7D.  When Wilson and Hunwick return, something has to give. Assuming we remain healthy, we are going to need to open up two roster spots for them.  Like I said Elie is the most likely to depart, but if management wants Hunwick in Buffalo, then someone else needs to go.  

We are on the hook for this season and next on Hunwick.  He is going to be in Buffalo once healthy and will likely spend most of that time in the pressbox, but he is insurance for Bogo and Scandella because he plays their kind of game (but obviously not as well).  Baloo is expendable because we can recall Pilut (who I noticed you failed to mention) if we need a LHD puck moving D to step into the lineup.  Right now with Scandella, McCabe and Dahlin we are pretty set at LHD.  Furthermore because of Pilut's development Baloo won't be re-signed by this franchise.  This means better to get something for him.  

Do you not think they would send Hunwick or Pommer down before unloading Beaulieu?  Or that someone else is likely to be injured between now and the time the decision needs to be made?

Just now, nfreeman said:

Do you not think they would send Hunwick or Pommer down before unloading Beaulieu?  Or that someone else is likely to be injured between now and the time the decision needs to be made?

No way Pommers gets sent anywhere.  He has played well and is a leader in the clubhouse.  While I doubt he gets re-signed, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back on a bargain deal.  You don't do from 1st line to waivers.

Hunwick could be sent down, and that gives us about $1 in savings for the next two years, but leaves us on the hook for the next two years for about 1.4 mill per season with nothing in return.  If Jbot wants to do this, it is certainly a possibility. 

However, don't rule out a trade of someone like Girgensons and or Baloo.  Both are expendable and both are RFAs.  Jbot clearly doesn't like giving anyone away for nothing (see Fedun deal).  If he can get a mid rd pick 3rd-5th for one of these guys, I wouldn't surprised at all if he takes it and opens a roster spot.  

Injuries are always a possibility, but it would have to be more then a day to day type deal to open a roster spot.  My hope is that it doesn't happen. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.