2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

I know it's way too soon, but the 2018-2019 line up is going to be challenging CAP-wise.  I know a lot can happen, but the team is at $64 mil this year.  I figure Jack gets $10 mil and Sam gets retiring Georges money (3.9mil).  That leaves them at $74 million (if the team signs all others at their 2018 levels, including Kane).  If Beaulieu gets $1.5 and Girgs get $1mil this year and next, you can see it gets tight.  The places to get relief are buyouts of Moulson, Pominville, and Bogo.  Also goalie if Lehner flames out and they go with Ullmark and ?? next year.  I may mean we have a ton of young players in the lineup next year.  I'm sure JBOT is on it but it will be interesting and constraining at the same time.

I know it's way too soon, but the 2018-2019 line up is going to be challenging CAP-wise.  I know a lot can happen, but the team is at $64 mil this year.  I figure Jack gets $10 mil and Sam gets retiring Georges money (3.9mil).  That leaves them at $74 million (if the team signs all others at their 2018 levels, including Kane).  If Beaulieu gets $1.5 and Girgs get $1mil this year and next, you can see it gets tight.  The places to get relief are buyouts of Moulson, Pominville, and Bogo.  Also goalie if Lehner flames out and they go with Ullmark and ?? next year.  I may mean we have a ton of young players in the lineup next year.  I'm sure JBOT is on it but it will be interesting and constraining at the same time.

Moulson gets traded or buried in Ra-cha-cha by next year. No need to worry about that $5MM.

I don't think it's that tight. With the amounts you used I've got 9 forwards, 6 D and a goalie (Ullmark) signed with around $13M of cap space left, assuming cap doesn't go up. With that they'll have to make decisions on Kane and Lehner. 

Edited by Lanny

I don't think it's that tight. With the amounts you used I've got 9 forwards, 6 D and a goalie (Ullmark) signed with around $13M of cap space left, assuming cap doesn't go up. With that they'll have to make decisions on Kane and Lehner. 

Does your $13 include the signings of Kane and Lehner?  If not, it is tight.  If Kane is resigned at $6 and Lehner is signed at $5.  That gives them 2 million for 5 forwards and 1 d-man.  No way.

Edited by Tondas

I should have given an example.  Next years' cap with Kane and Lehner signings.  That's already over the cap.  JBOTs got work to do.

2018-19 
Eichel, Jack                     10,000,000 
O'Reilly, Ryan                    7,500,000 
Okposo, Kyle                     6,000,000 
Kane, Evander                   6,000,000 
Pominville, Jason               5,600,000 
Moulson, Matt                    5,000,000 
Reinhart, Sam                    3,900,000 
Larsson, Johan                  1,475,000 
Girgensons, Zemgus         1,000,000 
Young Guy                            750,000 
Young Guy                            750,000  14

Ristolainen, Rasmus          5,400,000 
Bogosian, Zach                  5,142,857 
Scandella, Marco               4,000,000 
McCabe, Jake                    1,600,000 
Beaulieu, Nathan                2,200,000 
Antipin, Victor                        925,000 
Tennyson, Matt                      650,000  7

Lehner, Robin                     5,000,000 
Ullmark, Linus                      775,000  2
                                         75,917,857  23

Edited by Tondas

The cap this year is 75 million. We also have a nearly 500k rebate from CoHo. The cap should also rise by a few million.

The last 3 year it has grown from 71.4 to 73 to 75 this season. Figure 77 for next year.

Here is the math

The top 6 D is basically set for 2018. Risto, Bogo, Scandella, Baloo, McCabe and Guhle are signed for 19.243

5 forwards are signed 20.475 (ROR, KO, Pommers, Larsson and Nylander). I'm assuming Moulson is traded to help get a team to the cap floor.

1 goaltender is signed - Ullmark for 775K

So we have 12 players for 2018-19 at 40.493.

How do we fill the rest of the roster (10-11 players)

Forwards - 7 players below 20.5 mill

1) Jack - RFA - 4 year bridge deal at 8.5

2) Reinhart - RFA - 4 year deal at 5.0

3) Pouliot - UFA - 1 yr at 2.5

4) Big Z - RFA 2 yr deal this season at 1.475 (same deal as Larsson)

5) Bailey - RFA 1 yr 1 mill (or less)

6) Baptiste - RFA 1 yr 1 mill (or less)

7) Fasching - RFA 1 yr 1 mill (or less).

Defense - 2 depth players (2.6 mill or less)

8) Antipin - RFA 1.5

9) UFA - vet minimum 1.1 mill

10) Lehner - 3 year 5 per season

The next 10 costs 28.1. This leaves us with 22 players at 68.593. We can even afford to pay Kane 6 mill year.

That said, the key to this is dumping Moulson. If we can't get rid of him and must buy him out, it may keep us from re-signing Kane or Lehner. However, if Mittelstadt is ready to go after one season in college, it may make Kane expendable.

The cap this year is 75 million. We also have a nearly 500k rebate from CoHo. The cap should also rise by a few million.

The last 3 year it has grown from 71.4 to 73 to 75 this season. Figure 77 for next year.

Here is the math

The top 6 D is basically set for 2018. Risto, Bogo, Scandella, Baloo, McCabe and Guhle are signed for 19.243

5 forwards are signed 20.475 (ROR, KO, Pommers, Larsson and Nylander). I'm assuming Moulson is traded to help get a team to the cap floor.

1 goaltender is signed - Ullmark for 775K

So we have 12 players for 2018-19 at 40.493.

How do we fill the rest of the roster (10-11 players)

Forwards - 7 players below 20.5 mill

1) Jack - RFA - 4 year bridge deal at 8.5

2) Reinhart - RFA - 4 year deal at 5.0

3) Pouliot - UFA - 1 yr at 2.5

4) Big Z - RFA 2 yr deal this season at 1.475 (same deal as Larsson)

5) Bailey - RFA 1 yr 1 mill (or less)

6) Baptiste - RFA 1 yr 1 mill (or less)

7) Fasching - RFA 1 yr 1 mill (or less).

Defense - 2 depth players (2.6 mill or less)

8) Antipin - RFA 1.5

9) UFA - vet minimum 1.1 mill

10) Lehner - 3 year 5 per season

The next 10 costs 28.1. This leaves us with 22 players at 68.593. We can even afford to pay Kane 6 mill year.

That said, the key to this is dumping Moulson. If we can't get rid of him and must buy him out, it may keep us from re-signing Kane or Lehner. However, if Mittelstadt is ready to go after one season in college, it may make Kane expendable.

I'm not convinced the cap will rise next year.  Tennyson & Rodrigues  are on 1-ways next year so that's another $1.3 regardless.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will be interesting.  And my premise was trusting a lot of youngsters making the team (5 which you have making the leap, Nylander, Guhle, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, 6 if you count Antipin.)  And Pouliot turning it around.

Again, it can be done, but it will be interesting.

I'm not convinced the cap will rise next year.  Tennyson & Rodrigues  are on 1-ways next year so that's another $1.3 regardless.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will be interesting.  And my premise was trusting a lot of youngsters making the team (5 which you have making the leap, Nylander, Guhle, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, 6 if you count Antipin.)  And Pouliot turning it around.

But it isn't like the NFL where the top 53 cobtracts are the ones charged to the cap. The contracts of non-LTIR'd guys in the NHL count against the cap. Guys on IR & in the AHL (for all intents and purposes) don't count. So if Moulson is getting garbage plates after practice he isn't a $5MM albatross.

Tennyson and Rodrigues don't count against the cap if they aren't in Buffalo

In 2018-19 Moulson has a $5 mill cap hit, but a $2 mill salary.

A buyout only nets us 1.3 in cap savings, sending him down only nets about $1 mill in cap savings.

The best way to shed Moulson is to trade him to a team trying to get to the cap floor. Whether or not this becomes reality is another question.

Fyi: one way contracts only mean how much the guy gets paid regardless of whether he is in the NHL or AHL. Therefore Moulson receives all $2 mill regardless of where he plays. A guy like Tennyson gets his $750k regardless, but if he doesn't make the Sabres, his salary won't count against our cap. He does however count against our 50 contract limit.

Edited by GASabresFan

But it isn't like the NFL where the top 53 cobtracts are the ones charged to the cap. The contracts of non-LTIR'd guys in the NHL count against the cap. Guys on IR & in the AHL (for all intents and purposes) don't count. So if Moulson is getting garbage plates after practice he isn't a $5MM albatross.

Sending Moulson to Rochester only saves around $1 million of his cap hit which would likely get eaten up by his replacement anyway. We need to get a team to trade for him to actually get him off the books.

Lets say for arguments' sake that Jbot can't trade Moulson and won't buy him out or send him down because there is little cap savings.  Could Lehner's 1 year deal give Jbot the flexability to retain both both Moulson and Kane.

In my earlier analysis, I had us at 68.593 for 22 players without Moulson and Kane, but with Lehner at $5 mill.  I then wrote that adding Kane at $6 mill as the 23rd player was affordable.  That would bring us to just under 75 mill.  Now lets keep Moulson as well, drop Lehner's $5 mill and $1 mill for a JAG forward.  That leaves us with $74 mill invested in 22 players and Ullmark as the starter, but with a glaring need for another goalie..  Sign a decent backup goalie for 1 to 1.5 and you have your team.  

Frankly, I'm not in favor of keeping Moulson or Kane.   I have a feeling Jbot doesn't want either as well.  I believe his fondest wish is that Mittelstadt and Nylander prove NHL ready for 2018-19 and that they can step into the lineup.

Edited by GASabresFan

Lets say for arguments' sake that Jbot can't trade Moulson and won't buy him out or send him down because there is little cap savings.  Could Lehner's 1 year deal give Jbot the flexability to retain both both Moulson and Kane.

In my earlier analysis, I had us at 68.593 for 22 players without Moulson and Kane, but with Lehner at $5 mill.  I then wrote that adding Kane at $6 mill as the 23rd player was affordable.  That would bring us to just under 75 mill.  Now lets keep Moulson as well, drop Lehner's $5 mill and $1 mill for a JAG forward.  That leaves us with $74 mill invested in 22 players and Ullmark as the starter, but with a glaring need for another goalie..  Sign a decent backup goalie for 1 to 1.5 and you have your team.  

Frankly, I'm not in favor of keeping Moulson or Kane.   I have a feeling Jbot doesn't want either as well.  I believe his fondest wish is that Mittelstadt and Nylander prove NHL ready for 2018-19 and that they can step into the lineup.

If that is his wish, I can't see him giving a LT contract to Kane, even if they aren't quite ready yet.

• 3 months later...

Are we there yet!?

There is no way Moulson is still on the team at this point? Right? Right?

Here is my way too early 2018/19 line-up

Nylander Eichel Reinhart

Kane Middelstadt Bailey

Girgenson ROR Okposo

Smith Larsson ERod/ Baptiste.

Scandella. Risto

Guhle. Bogosian (if healthy)

MCCabe. Antipin

Playoff line-up? Not sure myself but a hell of a lot better than the team that played in Dallas

If the Sabres end up bottom 5, as they appear to be heading , and draft any of Svechnikov, Zadina, Hughes, Tkachuk or Dahlin a roster spot needs to be opened. All look to be ready to jump right into the NHL immediately I

Edited by Crusader1969

Are we there yet!?

There is no way Moulson is still on the team at this point? Right? Right?

Here is my way too early 2018/19 line-up

Nylander Eichel Reinhart

Kane Middelstadt Bailey

Girgenson ROR Okposo

Smith Larsson ERod/ Baptiste.

Scandella. Risto

Guhle. Bogosian (if healthy)

MCCabe. Antipin

Playoff line-up? Not sure myself but a hell of a lot better than the team that played in Dallas

If the Sabres end up bottom 5, as they appear to be heading , and draft any of Svechnikov, Zadina, Hughes, Tkachuk or Dahlin a roster spot needs to be opened. All look to be ready to jump right into the NHL immediately I

Probably and easy one... If a forward, they will start on the fourth line,  Nylander is a big if...  Kane might not be around.... If a D Bogosian is an if and same with Ghule, McCabe may be the odd man out though having these six plus Dahlin or Zadina sounds wonderful.  If Kane is gone for a later first rounder, who might be available... and are there any free agents out there that might fit in?  Pulliot may still be around too...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.