2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

This is where I am confused. Leafs pay $1.8 mill of Kessel's salary but the penguins get the entire cap hit.

Wouldn't it be, the Sabres could pay most of if not all Moulsons salary and the Avs (or whoever) take the $5 mill cap hit?

Edit. Ok leafs are hit with the $1.2 million of his cap hit. So whatever salary the Sabres pay of Moulsons $3 mill they get hit with

Unfortunately someone is going to have to be really desperate for the cap hit to take Moulson for basically free. Looks like buy out is best option. Don't think it's going to be enough savings to sign Kane for though. Hate the thought of trading Kane for even a mid first rounder whom will take 2 - 3 years to make an impact

In theory, we should be able to clear it all off after we pay his $1 million roster bonus on July 1, 2018. At that point he'll only be owed $2 million in actual money but he'll still have his $5 million cap hit. We just have to hope some budget team would welcome his cap hit without expecting much/any production. It's looking less and less likely though. Moulson doesn't have a single point in 10 games this season. Even a budget team with ideas of tanking for the next Matthews/Dahlin/whomever would want more production from a $2 million investment.

In theory, we should be able to clear it all off after we pay his $1 million roster bonus on July 1, 2018. At that point he'll only be owed $2 million in actual money but he'll still have his $5 million cap hit. We just have to hope some budget team would welcome his cap hit without expecting much/any production. It's looking less and less likely though. Moulson doesn't have a single point in 10 games this season. Even a budget team with ideas of tanking for the next Matthews/Dahlin/whomever would want more production from a $2 million investment.

Moulson is the albatross of the Tank that probably sees Kane being traded rather than re-signed.

• 2 months later...

So what do we know for next year?

Center:
1) Eichel: signed $80 mill extension - $10,000,000 cao hit
2) ROR: Jbot’s recent comments seem to mean that he’ll be back as well. $7,500,000 cap hit
3) Larsson: under contract for one more season. Decent pker, but is he really worth having back? $1,475,000
4) ERod: can play all 3 forward positions: signed 1yr 650K

Internal Candidates: could Reinhart get a shot at 3rd line center? Could Mittelstadt sign and win a job? I’m hoping for better options then Erod and Larsson as our 3rd and 4th centers.

LW: Kane’s pending departure leaves a hige hole here that will be very hard to fill immediately.
1) Girgensons: signed for one more year. Has worked well with Jack. Adds power and speed but minimal O.
2) CJ Smith: Amerks top rookie and leading scorer. Should get a long look in camp and I expect him to win this job. RFA
3) ??
4) Wilson: Jbot player. RFA.

Internal Candidates: Bailey (RFA), Pouliot (UFA) and maybe Fasching (RFA) or Baptiste (RFA) if they switch sides. Erod also.
Nylander still needs more time in the AHL. However if we draft Zadina or Tkachuk, could they get a look at LW?
Also; Don’t sleep on SHL vet and former 7th rd pick Olofsson winning a job in camp.

RW: Mostly set for next year unless Sam moves back to center.
1) Okposo: Really playing well with Jack. Signed for $6,000,000
2) Reinhart: Slowly finding his game this season. RFA
3) Pominville: last season here for long-time fan favorite. $5,600,000
4) ???
Candidates: Fasching, Bailey and Baptiste. Maybe even Erod and or Nolan (UFA).

Defense:
1) Ristolainen: NHL minute eater. Signed $5,400,000
2) Scandella: decent partner for Risto, but really should be a 2nd pairing guy. Signed $4,000,000
3) ???
4) McCabe: Solid if unspectacular D: signed $1,600,000
5) Guhle: Rookie dominating in AHL. Ideal guy for Housley’s system but likely to start on bottom pair. Signed on ELC
6) ???
7) ???

Internal candidates
1) Bogo - Mr. Glass; injuries derailing a once promising career. 2 years left on deal: $5,142,000
2) Beaulieu - pick mover still learning to play D also injury prone this year. Signed $2,400,000
3) Nelson - Has improved in D zone, fits Housley’s system and has played well in recent callup. RFA
4) Antipin - Russian puck mover still struggling with adjustment to NA hockey, but has shown signs. RFA
5) Falk - Buddy of Scandella who has had some good games. Cheap to keep. UFA
6) Dahlin - if we somehow get lucky and win the lottery, I fully expect him to earn a roster spot in camp.
We better not comeback next season without an upgrade or two on D besides Guhle.

Goaltending
1) Ullmark - AHL All-star looks ready for long-term NHL duty. Signed 750K
2) Lehner - Not sure he’ll be back, but has played solidily for us the last two seasons. RFA
3) If Lehner does return we’ll need a solid backup in case Ullmark isn’t fully ready.

Between signed players and RFAs Jbot could field a young and cheaper team then this season that likely would be somewhat better. However, I doubt Jbot takes the easy way out. i expect bigger changes then just giving Amerks alums the jobs.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

That #3 on defence is the spot I’m most interested in. There are plenty of crucial positions that need to be filled (the entire LW of the top 6, to my mind), but to me this spot is the most crucial.

If Bogo is pencilled in to this spot going into camp, it’s a black mark for Botterill.

I do find it interesting that Jbot can field a complete team by just signing the Rfas. The centers are all signed. Smith, Bailey and Wilson for LW. Baptiste and Fasching RW and utility. On defense you have 6 signed in Risto, Marco, Bogo, Baloo, McCabe and Guhle plus Rfas Nelson and Antipin. Re-sign Lehner to go with Ullmark and you have a 23 man roster with no outside players.

I do find it interesting that Jbot can field a complete team by just signing the Rfas. The centers are all signed. Smith, Bailey and Wilson for LW. Baptiste and Fasching RW and utility. On defense you have 6 signed in Risto, Marco, Bogo, Baloo, McCabe and Guhle plus Rfas Nelson and Antipin. Re-sign Lehner to go with Ullmark and you have a 23 man roster with no outside players.

I'll be starting the 2019 draft thread on opening night if Baloo is dressed for the Sabres.

I'm assuming you are slotting Samson as 3rd line centre? Okposo would be a top 6 RWBAail

Not,sure if this lineup is good enough to make an Avalanche type turn around but it's better than the team we saw play tonight

Zadina/Svech/Tkachuk. Eichel. Reinhart

TBD. O'Reilly. OKposo

Smith. Mittlestadt. Fasching

TBD. Larsson Baptiste

Scandella. Risto

McCabe. Borgen

Guhle. Bogo

Candidates for TBD: Bailey, Nylander, Wilson, and UFA signed to one year deal.

I think the roster issue for next year is cryingly obvious, but not talked about much: we have to develop a middle class.

Think about the last good Sabres team:

Drury, Briere, Vanek, Campbell is no better than O’Reilly, Eichel, Okposo Risto.

But Roy, Pominville, Afinogenov, Grier, Hecht, Kotalik, Dumont, Connolly, Numminen, Tallinder, Lydman, Kalinin, McKee?

Who could hang with that group? The recent Reinhart, Scandella and maybe a healthy Bogosian?

We don’t need depth guys. We have to upgrade the Nolans and the Pouliots and the Wilsons with guys who can make a difference, not just fill a spot.

Larsson and Girgensons are effective fourth liners; they don’t belong in the middle six. McCabe is a 5. Pominville is still smart enough to complement two first-liners, but he’s mostly done.

We have no second tier.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

I think the roster issue for next year is cryingly obvious, but not talked about much: we have to develop a middle class.

Drury, Briere, Vanek, Campbell is no better than O’Reilly, Eichel, Okposo Risto.

But Roy, Pominville, Afinogenov, Grier, Hecht, Kotalik, Dumont, Connolly, Numminen, Tallinder, Lydman, Kalinin, McKee?

Who could hang with that group? The recent Reinhart, Scandella and maybe a healthy Bogosian?

We don’t need depth guys. We have to upgrade the Nolans and the Pouliots and the Wilsons with guys who can make a difference, not just fill a spot.

Larsson and Girgensons are effective fourth liners; they don’t belong in the middle six. McCabe is a 5. Pominville is still smart enough to complement two first-liners, but he’s mostly done.

We have no second tier.

Good post.

We have no second tier.

Yep. Forgot about Girgensons. 4th liner is where he should be. Not sure what to do with pommers? Maybe 13th forward ? Maybe time to hang them up.

Edited by Crusader1969

??? Eichel Okposo

??? O’Reilly Reinhart

??? ??? Pominville

Girgensons Larsson ???

XXX

Scandella Ristolainen

??? ???

McCabe Bogosian

XXX

Ullmark

XXX

XXX=Wilson, Beaulieu, Lehner (under contract/RFA, who might not be back)

???=New acquisitions, prospects

??? Eichel Okposo

Mittelstadt O’Reilly Reinhart

Smith ??? Pominville

Girgensons Larsson Baptiste

Wilson

Scandella Ristolainen

Guhle ???

McCabe Bogosian

Antipin

Ullmark

XXX

XXX=Wilson, Beaulieu, Lehner (under contract/RFA, who might not be back)

???=New acquisitions, prospects

I think Mittelstadt is in Buffalo, and I think he breaks in on the wing at first, and I like him in a scoring line role, with a defensively responsible centre. And I think he adds a nice speed component to that line. I think Smith can slide in to a 3rd line role effectively, and Baptiste, the 4th.

Guhle I think has the talent to play on the second pair. If not, bump McCabe up.

The top 6 LW we need, and the 3rd line C, anyone’s guess is as good as mine. The top 4 RD....crucial.

Edited by Thorny

I think Mittelstadt is in Buffalo, and I think he breaks in on the wing at first, and I like him in a scoring line role, with a defensively responsible centre. And I think he adds a nice speed component to that line. I think Smith can slide in to a 3rd line role effectively, and Baptiste, the 4th.

Guhle I think has the talent to play on the second pair. If not, bump McCabe up.

The top 6 LW we need, and the 3rd line C, anyone’s guess is as good as mine. The top 4 RD....crucial.

If we playing Fantasyland, my ideal would be for Rochester to go on a late season/playoff run that launches the kids

Then the following happens:

1) Nylander, CJ Smith or a young shooter acquired in a deadline deal or at the draft (Brady Tkachuk?) puts up 20 on a line with Jack

2) Middelstadt rounds out the top six with a rookie of the year type season

3) we acquire a nasty veteran leader to take some of O’Reilly’s load as the third line centre - a Dubinsky type

4) some mix of Fasching, Bailey Baptiste Girgensons Larsson new acquisition(s) provide a relentless forecheck and a smattering of extra offence to the bottom of the forward lineup

5) we acquire a real 2/3 to do what Bogosian is supposed to do (sign John Carlson?)

6) Bogosian McCabe Guhle Antipin perform much better in the 4-7 slots than MCCabe Antipin Beaulieu Falk did this year.

7) Ullmark upgrades Lehner and Ryan Miller upgrades Johnson.

We have no second tier.

How dare you.

Yep. Forgot about Girgensons. 4th liner is where he should be. Not sure what to do with pommers? Maybe 13th forward ? Maybe time to hang them up.

There is NFW that Pommer walks away from $5.6MM.

How dare you.

There is NFW that Pommer walks away from $5.6MM.

Yup. But he is hurting us on the ice. I wanted him to be good for us here but he's just Matty Mo Redux. It's too bad. Maybe some changes to the roster over the summer will breathe some life back into him. 

Yup. But he is hurting us on the ice. I wanted him to be good for us here but he's just Matty Mo Redux. It's too bad. Maybe some changes to the roster over the summer will breathe some life back into him. 

That would be great, but highly unlikely IMHO.  He's out of gas. 

He'll most likely play 8-10 min per game with a bunch of healthy scratches, or perhaps they'll waive him as they did with Moulson.

The internal lineup and cap estimate.

(Forwards - 39.405)

Girgensons (1.6) Jack (10) KO (6)

Smith (.65) ROR (7.5)  Reinhart (3.25)

Bailey (.65) Larsson (1.475) Pominville (5.6)

Wilson (.73)  ERod (.65)  Baptiste (.65)

Fasching (.65)

Defense - (21.012)

Scandella (4.0) Ristolainen (5.4)

Bogosian (5.142) Guhle (.8)

Nelson (.65) McCabe (1.6)

Baloo (2.4) Antipin (1.02)

Goalies (5.25)

Lehner (4.5)

Ullmark (.75)

65.667 total plus Moulson's buried contract (about 3.5 considering Hodgson's credit next season).  So we have about an extra 10 mill we can spend.

So how can Jbot improve this roster?

1) Find a 3rd line center and move Larsson to 4th line center.

2) Pray Olofsson, Smith and/or a draft pick are ready to take one or both of the top 3 LW spots.  We could use the scoring.  I wouldn't go out of the organization to find replacements next season because Mittelstadt and or Nylander are on the horizon

3) 2nd pairing D.  You found Scandella, now find a Scandella with some offense.

4) I'd move on from Lehner and find a cheaper side kick for Ullmark.

Ultimately, I want most of the jobs taken up by Sabres prospects.  We need to stop going outside the organization as best we can or this rebuild will never work.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The internal lineup and cap estimate.

(Forwards - 39.405)

Girgensons (1.6) Jack (10) KO (6)

Smith (.65) ROR (7.5)  Reinhart (3.25)

Bailey (.65) Larsson (1.475) Pominville (5.6)

Wilson (.73)  ERod (.65)  Baptiste (.65)

Fasching (.65)

Defense - (21.012)

Scandella (4.0) Ristolainen (5.4)

Bogosian (5.142) Guhle (.8)

Nelson (.65) McCabe (1.6)

Baloo (2.4) Antipin (1.02)

Goalies (5.25)

Lehner (4.5)

Ullmark (.75)

65.667 total plus Moulson's buried contract (about 3.5 considering Hodgson's credit next season).  So we have about an extra 10 mill we can spend.

So how can Jbot improve this roster?

1) Find a 3rd line center and move Larsson to 4th line center.

2) Pray Olofsson, Smith and/or a draft pick are ready to take one or both of the top 3 LW spots.  We could use the scoring.  I wouldn't go out of the organization to find replacements next season because Mittelstadt and or Nylander are on the horizon

3) 2nd pairing D.  You found Scandella, now find a Scandella with some offense.

4) I'd move on from Lehner and find a cheaper side kick for Ullmark.

Ultimately, I want most of the jobs taken up by Sabres prospects.  We need to stop going outside the organization as best we can or this rebuild will never work.

I agree with you for the most part but there is nothing wrong with signing a UFA or two to a 1 year deal. 

If you turn the team around, hopefully they are a part of it. You can always trade them for future draft picks if you are still out of the play-off picture. 

Out of your list of players for 2018/19, who would you be most disappointed about being still with the Sabres game day roster?

for me its:

1) Nathan Beaulieu

2) Jason Pominville 

3) Johan Larsson

If thats the opening night roster, we should start the "lose for Hughes" campaign before the season even starts.  Would anyone disagee?

Edited by nfreeman

Has Wilson's recent play helped elevate his status for next season.  He clearly has the speed we need.  Hands don't look bad either.  Considering our lack of players at LW and our lack of players with playoff experience, will it really hurt to keep him for 690K?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.