2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

Moulson's cap hit in 2018/19 is $5mill but actual salary is $2million

If Sabres can trade him and pay $2million of his salary, does this mean the team acquiring him pay him nothing? They just incur $3 million on their salary cap?

The most we can retain is 50% of both cap and salary. That means we can retain half ($1 million salary and $2.5 milliom cap hit).

If we were trading him to a team trying to get to the cap floor they would probably want the full cap hit. Of course that's probably just wishful thinking though.

The most we can retain is 50% of both cap and salary. That means we can retain half ($1 million salary and $2.5 milliom cap hit).

If we were trading him to a team trying to get to the cap floor they would probably want the full cap hit. Of course that's probably just wishful thinking though.

If I was Botterill, I would be calling Sakic this summer

17 players under contract - just under $49mill in salary (6 to 8 mill under the floor).  Could they be willing to take Moulson, pay him $1million / Sabres the other $1million and take the full $5million cap hit? Maybe we need to send them a draft pick to sweeten the deal?

His Salary next season is $1mill signing bonus plus $2 million base.  So, Sabres could pay signing bonus of $1mill on July 1st and then trade him to Colorada and pay half of his base Salary ($2mill). However the entire cap  hit could be put on the Avs books?

Would you play him with Eichel in hopes he puts up 15 goals or so, just to make sure someone will take him from you?

Edited by Crusader1969

17 players under contract - just under $49mill in salary (6 to 8 mill under the floor).  Could they be willing to take Moulson, pay him $1million / Sabres the other $1million and take the full $5million cap hit? Maybe we need to send them a draft pick to sweeten the deal?

His Salary next season is $1mill signing bonus plus $2 million base.  So, Sabres could pay signing bonus of $1mill on July 1st and then trade him to Colorada and pay half of his base Salary ($2mill). However the entire cap  hit could be put on the Avs books?

Would you play him with Eichel in hopes he puts up 15 goals or so, just to make sure someone will take him from you?

I don't know for sure, but I bet you can't separate cap and real dollar %. If the Sabres retain 50% of the salary, I bet they retain 50% of the cap hit too.

You can't split it like that. Whatever amount you retain will be equal for both salary and cap hit. If we want to get rid of all of his cap hit we can't retain anything or pay him any salary. To move all $5 million of cap hit, the team we trade him to would have to pay his entire $2 million salary. We can wait until after July 1st to pay his $1 million signing/roster bonus though before we trade him. Then (assuming we can somehow trade him without retention) the team who acquires him pays the $2 million salary and gets the entire $5 million cap hit.

BTW, Eichel knows you're all pissed at him

https://twitter.com/Matt_Bove/status/928093468173496320

Yea Jack, you need to shoot

Dude is consistently bringing a knife to a gun fight for some reason

I believe it is just a problem of youth. See -- Eichel is too young to remember the Original Trilogy pre-Special Edition. Jack doesn't know how to celebrate with Yub Nub or disco breakdown Max Rebo. He thinks it's all open-mouthed, spittle-flying, CGI yelling. Worse still, he doesn't know that Greedo never fired his weapon. He doesn't know that Han was a dangerous and untrustworthy entity when first met because he killed in cold blood, before goalie Greedo was able to suspect anything. It's all about the quick release and shooting first.

Jack, you need cold blood. You need to be like pre-Special Edition Han Solo. You need be more daring, dashing, and dangerous. You need a wookiee sidekick to tear people's arms off. You need to be a skeptic of the Force and things you read on the Internet. You can't let people re-draw your history for you. Shoot first, Jack! (Unless the perfect saucer for a Pommer tap-in is there... you know... then make the pass.)

I believe it is just a problem of youth. See -- Eichel is too young to remember the Original Trilogy pre-Special Edition. Jack doesn't know how to celebrate with Yub Nub or disco breakdown Max Rebo. He thinks it's all open-mouthed, spittle-flying, CGI yelling. Worse still, he doesn't know that Greedo never fired his weapon. He doesn't know that Han was a dangerous and untrustworthy entity when first met because he killed in cold blood, before goalie Greedo was able to suspect anything. It's all about the quick release and shooting first.

Jack, you need cold blood. You need to be like pre-Special Edition Han Solo. You need be more daring, dashing, and dangerous. You need a wookiee sidekick to tear people's arms off. You need to be a skeptic of the Force and things you read on the Internet. You can't let people re-draw your history for you. Shoot first, Jack! (Unless the perfect saucer for a Pommer tap-in is there... you know... then make the pass.)

non-Jeffismagic post of the year

You can't split it like that. Whatever amount you retain will be equal for both salary and cap hit. If we want to get rid of all of his cap hit we can't retain anything or pay him any salary. To move all $5 million of cap hit, the team we trade him to would have to pay his entire $2 million salary. We can wait until after July 1st to pay his $1 million signing/roster bonus though before we trade him. Then (assuming we can somehow trade him without retention) the team who acquires him pays the $2 million salary and gets the entire $5 million cap hit.

This is where I am confused. Leafs pay $1.8 mill of Kessel's salary but the penguins get the entire cap hit.

Wouldn't it be, the Sabres could pay most of if not all Moulsons salary and the Avs (or whoever) take the $5 mill cap hit?

Edit. Ok leafs are hit with the $1.2 million of his cap hit. So whatever salary the Sabres pay of Moulsons $3 mill they get hit with

Unfortunately someone is going to have to be really desperate for the cap hit to take Moulson for basically free. Looks like buy out is best option. Don't think it's going to be enough savings to sign Kane for though. Hate the thought of trading Kane for even a mid first rounder whom will take 2 - 3 years to make an impact

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.