2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

It matters what you call it. Waving and cutting are not the same thing. So I give a f##k and others should too. Around here, I think being precise matters. You can waive a player, which you go on to describe but you cannot cut a player. 

Struck a nerve huh? 

And you are being imprecise when you highlight that players get waived but neglect that they then can get bought out (aka "cut").  

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Do you not think they would send Hunwick or Pommer down before unloading Beaulieu?  Or that someone else is likely to be injured between now and the time the decision needs to be made?

Hunwick.  Yes, could absolutely see him going to the AHL if he and the other 7 D are all healthy and either Wilson or Berglund need to come off IR.

Pominville.  No, can't see any scenario where he gets waived this season.  Can see several where he does not get re-signed next season & a couple where he does.  Too early to tell on that one.

I don’t see any scenario where Beaulieu or Nelson gets waived or dumped to make room for a player who Pittsburgh gave away Conor Sheary for us to take. Hunwick should clear waivers easily and if he doesn’t that’s even better.

Edited by dudacek

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No way Pommers gets sent anywhere.  He has played well and is a leader in the clubhouse.  While I doubt he gets re-signed, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back on a bargain deal.  You don't do from 1st line to waivers.

Hunwick could be sent down, and that gives us about $1 in savings for the next two years, but leaves us on the hook for the next two years for about 1.4 mill per season with nothing in return.  If Jbot wants to do this, it is certainly a possibility. 

However, don't rule out a trade of someone like Girgensons and or Baloo.  Both are expendable and both are RFAs.  Jbot clearly doesn't like giving anyone away for nothing (see Fedun deal).  If he can get a mid rd pick 3rd-5th for one of these guys, I wouldn't surprised at all if he takes it and opens a roster spot.  

Injuries are always a possibility, but it would have to be more then a day to day type deal to open a roster spot.  My hope is that it doesn't happen. 

Can't see either of those 2 getting shipped out in season for picks.  Would really expect to see Wilson or Elie waived before one of those 2 were dumped.

Over the off-season, all bets are off.  We'll likely have to find a way to make room for some of the guys downin Ra-cha-cha.  Could see a sign & trade or a trading of their rights for the right return.  Something will have to give.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And don’t see any scenario where Beaulieu or Nelson gets waived or dumped to make room for a player who Pittsburgh gave away Conor Sheary for us to take. Hunwick should clear waivers easily and if he doesn’t that’s even better.

Yep.  He was 8th on the depth chart at best prior to injury.  

But I doubt the Sabres would want him snagged as the 4th becomes a 3rd if they do get rid of him.  $1MM Pegula-bucks probably not worth 1 round of draft capital.  $1MM Golisano-bucks probably worth 6 rounds of draft capital - minimum.

47 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And you are being imprecise when you highlight that players get waived but neglect that they then can get bought out (aka "cut").  

Cut and bought out are not the same. But then you didn't post this because you care about being precise did you.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Cut and bought out are not the same. But then you didn't post this because you care about being precise did you.

Everybody knew what Hoss was referring to when he used the term "cut" for "bought out."  It did not create confusion, the elimination of which is the point of precision.  And after you'd pointed out the distinction that "cut" wasn't "waived" there clearly was no confusion between the terms "cut" and "bought out" especially because there is then no distinct roster effect between "bought out" and "cut."

Whereas when somebody posts something to the effect that "Reinhart will receive an incentive laden contract as an RFA" that does have the potential for creating confusion because a nuance of the CBA didn't allow him one.  Those that aren't well versed in the CBA (likely including many posters and lurkers here) could get confused by such disinformation.  Especially when the disinformation is repetitively stated even though it was pointed out to the original poster to be disinformation. 

31 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Everybody knew what Hoss was referring to when he used the term "cut" for "bought out."  It did not create confusion, the elimination of which is the point of precision.  And after you'd pointed out the distinction that "cut" wasn't "waived" there clearly was no confusion between the terms "cut" and "bought out" especially because there is then no distinct roster effect between "bought out" and "cut."

Whereas when somebody posts something to the effect that "Reinhart will receive an incentive laden contract as an RFA" that does have the potential for creating confusion because a nuance of the CBA didn't allow him one.  Those that aren't well versed in the CBA (likely including many posters and lurkers here) could get confused by such disinformation.  Especially when the disinformation is repetitively stated even though it was pointed out to the original poster to be disinformation. 

Oh you mean like once I was told and immediately said "oh, didn't know that" and then stopped saying it. Lots of posters and lurkers repeatedly say cut and use it as a football term and don't know the difference. It happens multiple times a year because there are more football fans than hockey in Buffalo discussing their respective sports.  Some drift over from TBD and talk about cutting guys which you can't do. So yes I was right to comment and while I think Hoss knows the difference, still need said.  But...

You aren't even mad about that. That's not what this is about. You're still butthurt about a movie reference from 4 years ago that I missed. Call me flounder and be a pr#ck. Keep holding your grudges, there's an easy solution on my end. I'm gonna apply it to Freeman too and his inability to be impartial. 

Cheers, 

Flounder 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh you mean like once I was told and immediately said "oh, didn't know that" and then stopped saying it. Lots of posters and lurkers repeatedly say cut and use it as a football term and don't know the difference. It happens multiple times a year because there are more football fans than hockey in Buffalo discussing their respective sports.  Some drift over from TBD and talk about cutting guys which you can't do. So yes I was right to comment and while I think Hoss knows the difference, still need said.  But...

You aren't even mad about that. That's not what this is about. You're still butthurt about a movie reference from 4 years ago that I missed. Call me flounder and be a pr#ck. Keep holding your grudges, there's an easy solution on my end. I'm gonna apply it to Freeman too and his inability to be impartial. 

Cheers, 

Flounder 

Dude, there is no anger nor animosity on this end.  Though, sliding over to the coffee thread for a second; you may want to try decaf if you don't already drink that. ?

2 hours ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

Just to clarify, does the pick that goes to PIT if Hunwick is waived/sent down? The language as I understood it was that it was only by trade, but I've been wrong before.

FTFY

The conditions under which the 4th Round Pick becomes a 3rd are

Sheary scoring 20 Goals or 40 Points for the season 

or 

Hunwick being sent to the AHL or traded to another team before June 2019 

In LGR defense, there are specific terms in the NHL for dumping a player.

Waive - If you waive a player you are removing them from your active roster.  GM's designated the waivers as either "Unconditional" or a "Designation for Assignment."

Designation for Assignment (aka "Sent Down") - A player who clears waivers or is waiver exempt can be sent down to the AHL affiliate or loaned (like Moulson) to another organization.

Unconditional (aka "Release") - These players, who clear waivers, are paid their guaranteed contract amount if released during the season or they can be "bought out" if during one of the off-season buyout periods.

Players are rarely released because the full cap hit remains on the salary cap.  Typically the teams will "bury" a bad contract in the minors and save the veteran minimum salary on their salary cap.  For example Moulson.  He has a 5 mill cap hit, but we are only on the hook for 3.95 cap wise because Moulson was sent down after clearing waivers.  This might be done to Hunwick when he gets back from injury.

Cut - this typically refers to players during camp only.  Cut players, depending on their contract status, such as PTO, waiver exempt etc, may or may not have to also go through waivers and being cut generally means you don't make the NHL team out of camp.

I hope this helps. ?

32 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The conditions under which the 4th Round Pick becomes a 3rd are

Sheary scoring 20 Goals or 40 Points for the season 

or 

Hunwick being sent to the AHL or traded to another team before June 2019 

Where have you seen the AHL portion? I’ve only seen the trade part reported.

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In LGR defense, there are specific terms in the NHL for dumping a player.

Waive - If you waive a player you are removing them from your active roster.  GM's designated the waivers as either "Unconditional" or a "Designation for Assignment."

Designation for Assignment (aka "Sent Down") - A player who clears waivers or is waiver exempt can be sent down to the AHL affiliate or loaned (like Moulson) to another organization.

Unconditional (aka "Release") - These players, who clear waivers, are paid their guaranteed contract amount if released during the season or they can be "bought out" if during one of the off-season buyout periods.

Players are rarely released because the full cap hit remains on the salary cap.  Typically the teams will "bury" a bad contract in the minors and save the veteran minimum salary on their salary cap.  For example Moulson.  He has a 5 mill cap hit, but we are only on the hook for 3.95 cap wise because Moulson was sent down after clearing waivers.  This might be done to Hunwick when he gets back from injury.

Cut - this typically refers to players during camp only.  Cut players, depending on their contract status, such as PTO, waiver exempt etc, may or may not have to also go through waivers and being cut generally means you don't make the NHL team out of camp.

I hope this helps. ?

Take a look at Hoss' original post that Liger took such great exception to.  It was clear in the context he was referring to the unconditional release (aka buyout).

Really don't see where what was posted warranted such a hyperbolic reaction, but guess it is what it is.

Regards.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.