2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

Moulson, Bogo and Okposo are 3 cap albatrosses. If he could ditch any of them for anything the whole cap thing is fixed.  None of them play like they are worth even 1 mil. 

Since we are probably stuck with all 3, I think Botterill will try really hard to trade ROR, Reinhart and Lehner for prospects and picks (Kane is definitely gone).   ROR is a good hockey player but he isn't worth 7.5 mil and moving those 3 relieves all the pressure as well. 

How many more years is Bogo's contract? 

Okposo is not a cap albatross. He plays well above 1 mil worth.

Bogo is on ltir so his cap hit doesn't matter right now.

With the cap going up and our team not even in playoff contention, there's going to be plenty of room under the cap next season. after next year Moulson and Pomminstein come off the cap freeing another 10 mil.

There's no cap pressure.

Has Wilson's recent play helped elevate his status for next season. He clearly has the speed we need. Hands don't look bad either. Considering our lack of players at LW and our lack of players with playoff experience, will it really hurt to keep him for 690K?

They'll give him 1.25 or something. It doesn't hurt at all to keep him. We're something like 20 mil under the cap right now with injuries savings.

Has Wilson's recent play helped elevate his status for next season.  He clearly has the speed we need.  Hands don't look bad either.  Considering our lack of players at LW and our lack of players with playoff experience, will it really hurt to keep him for 690K?

There is nothing wrong with Wilson in and of himself. Even the good teams have one or two Wilsons.

Our problem is we six or seven of them and they often play on the second and third lines.

There is nothing wrong with Wilson in and of himself. Even the good teams have one or two Wilsons.

Our problem is we six or seven of them and they often play on the second and third lines.

Oh I agree, the question for Jbot this off-season is which “Wilson” to keep and which “Wilson(s)” to let go and how to upgrade the 3rd line.

Besides Wilson himself, I put Larsson, Josefson, Nolan, ERod, current Pommers, Pouliot, and even Big Z in the Wilson (aka JAG) catagory. Although I like calling them “Wilsons” rather then JAGs. I’m worried that Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste and even Smith are Wilsons as well.

If I had my druthers, I’m keeping Z, Wilson and ERod and moving on from Larsson, Josefson, Nolan and Pouliot. We are stuck with Pommers for next season. Speed and the production and age are the deciding factors for me.

I’ve said this before, but the only 5 forwards set in stone for next year are Jack, ROR, KO, Sam and Pommers.

To complete the other 8 spots we have internally Larsson, Erod, Girgensons signed and RFAs Wilson, Baptiste (who I think Jbot likes the best of the RW trio), Bailey, Fasching, and Smith. It’s also possible that prospects like Asplund, Olofsson, Pu, maybe Mittelstadt and possibly our 1st rd pick could surprise and steal a spot. I doubt he retains any of the UFAs. Now add in acquisitions, NCAA signings and UFA signings and it makes for an interesting off-season.

I think we have to replace most of the Wilsons with players that could be more than a Wilson.

There is always the possibility of trades and waivers, but Larsson and Girgs and Pommers and ERod are under contract next year.

So logically it’s the other four who would go first to make room for fresh faces.

I think we have to replace most of the Wilsons with players that could be more than a Wilson.

There is always the possibility of trades and waivers, but Larsson and Girgs and Pommers and ERod are under contract next year.

So logically it’s the other four who would go first to make room for fresh faces.

Every team has some Wilsons for cap reasons. You can’t consistently pay 4th liners $5 mill and compete long-term. Frankly of the signed Wilsons, I want to part with Larsson. We need better center play on the bottom 2 lines.

Maybe there's no cap pressure if you like your team, but if you want to sign new players with better attitudes you need to create cap room.

You can remake a roster/lockerroom two ways. One swap veteran A for vet B (either through trade or by signing FAs) or by letting vets walk and replacing them with coachable kids who learned to win in the minors. I suspect we’ll see a lot more of plan B vs plan A going forward.

Maybe there's no cap pressure if you like your team, but if you want to sign new players with better attitudes you need to create cap room.

We will have cap room regardless. There aren't any high priced ufa's breaking the bank. Tavares won't hit the market and if he does, he's not picking buffalo

The Caps can ill afford to let him go. That said, if he becomes available, I'd go for it. He won't come here (because Buffalo :w00t: ), but they should certainly inquire.

The defense is really shaping up for next season. Scandella, Risto, McCabe and Guhle are all under contract. Nelson (RFA), assuming this is now the real Nelson, looks like another piece for next season. That leaves one opening. (How Jbot disposes of Bogo and Baloo, if he can, will make for an interesting off-season discussion. I'd rather re-sign Falk and Antipin as the 7th and 8th guys.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

If you are really trying to fully bring in Housley's system, you can't have enough good D men and the D has to be a core strength. It's improved, but if it added Green (or Carlson but unlikely) and Dahlin (dream) would anyone not think we had a solid playoff shot next year?  

Love the optimism but...

Love the optimism but...

Big turnarounds do happen. And the better this team finishes the season, the smaller that turnaround will need to be. I think playoffs are unlikely, but I do know I would want Botterill to, at summer’s end, believe the team he’s sending out there does have a shot at making it.

Big turnarounds do happen. And the better this team finishes the season, the smaller that turnaround will need to be. I think playoffs are unlikely, but I do know I would want Botterill to, at summer’s end, believe the team he’s sending out there does have a shot at making it.

Would love a chance at trying to land Jack Hughes next year but we cant keep doing this, we have to start winning more and hopefully having a chance at the playoffs

Would love a chance at trying to land Jack Hughes next year but we cant keep doing this, we have to start winning more and hopefully having a chance at the playoffs

if they do have a chance, hopefully its less than a 3% chance.

Holy ######!

Did you guys realize the Sabres lost 20 of Nathan Beaulieu’s first 22 games here?

A recent 5 and 4 run has pushed us to a 9 and 31 record overall with him in the lineup.

Ive said it before, he is the number 1 guy i do not want on next years roster.

if they do have a chance, hopefully its less than a 3% chance.

Ive said it before, he is the number 1 guy i do not want on next years roster.

The funny thing is I think this kid still has real potential.  He'll likely be our 7th or 8th D next season, so you won;t have to worry about seeing him to much unless he improves like Nelson has.

• 2 weeks later...

Offseason from fantasy land - buckle up.

The Sabres are blessed and win the right to draft Rasmus Dahlin. 

They trade that right with Ryan O'Reilly and Alex Nylander to St. Louis, a team looking  for changes after sliding out of a playoff spot despite leading their division for months. In return, the Sabres acquire Vince Dunn, Vladimir Sobotka, Joel Edmundson, and the big prize, Colton Parayko. The Sabres trade Rasmus Ristolainen, Casey Mittelstadt, and two seconds to Carolina for Sebastian Aho and Jordan Staal. 

The Sabres sign John Tavares to a large contract. They Sign Letestu and Pateryn to smaller contracts. They also acquire Grubauer.

Aho - Eichel - Rodrigues

xxx - Tavares - Reinhart

xxx - Staal - Okposo

Sobotka - Letestu - Girgensons

Kids fight for those two left wing slots.

Scandella - Parayko

Edmundson - Dunn

Antipin - Nelson

Grubauer 

Ullmark

Who isn't watching come October 2018???

lol

Carolina wouldn't take that trade, I might need to up the ante somehow. Next year's first too. 

Offseason from fantasy land - buckle up.

The Sabres are blessed and win the right to draft Rasmus Dahlin. 

They trade that right with Ryan O'Reilly and Alex Nylander to St. Louis, a team looking  for changes after sliding out of a playoff spot despite leading their division for months. In return, the Sabres acquire Vince Dunn, Vladimir Sobotka, Joel Edmundson, and the big prize, Colton Parayko. The Sabres trade Rasmus Ristolainen, Casey Mittelstadt, and two seconds to Carolina for Sebastian Aho and Jordan Staal. 

The Sabres sign John Tavares to a large contract. They Sign Letestu and Pateryn to smaller contracts. They also acquire Grubauer.

Aho - Eichel - Rodrigues

xxx - Tavares - Reinhart

xxx - Staal - Okposo

Sobotka - Letestu - Girgensons

Kids fight for those two left wing slots.

Scandella - Parayko

Edmundson - Dunn

Antipin - Nelson

Grubauer 

Ullmark

Who isn't watching come October 2018???

lolCarolina wouldn't take that trade, I might need to up the ante somehow. Next year's first too.

O55xb.gif

My thoughts on 2018-2019.

This line up assumes players in the organization today.  Hopefully, they will sign a couple of UFAs and maybe get Dahlin.

1. Buy out Moulson and Pominville – It will eat up cap space for the next two years, but with the influx of young players the cap should not be a problem for two years.  Let’s give the young ones the ice time.
  2. Re-sign 2 of the current UFAs (Nelson and Johnson).  Nelson has been very good and is a right shot.  Johnson can spell Ullmark in net.
  3. Girgensons/Larsson – Pick one and trade the other.
  4. Middlestadt is on the big club as is Nylander.
  5. Get rid of Bowl-loo.

Your 2018 – 2019 Buffalo Sabres

C. J. Smith           Eichel                   Reinhart

Nylander              ROR                     Okposo

O’Regan              Middlestadt           E-Rod   

Wilson                  Girgs/Larry           Baptiste

Scandella                                          Nelson

Guhle                                                Risto

McCabe                                            Bogo

Ullmark

Johnson

Edited by Tondas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.