Sabres Pick #89: Oksari Laaksonen (D)

LGR4GM

Aren't you on the Possler boat? If so, shouldn't you be much less pessimistic about the size of a draftee? Possler fell because he was small, then he grew and became a solid prospect

Possler was 6' tall. Also as discussed so is Laakssonen

WGR550.com has an interview with amateur scout Jeff Crisp where he says they'd been following him for two years and even brought him in to Buffalo for a visit.  Also said they thought other teams were aware of him even if he wasn't ranked.

I love this pick just for all the mystery.

WGR550.com has an interview with amateur scout Jeff Crisp where he says they'd been following him for two years and even brought him in to Buffalo for a visit.  Also said they thought other teams were aware of him even if he wasn't ranked.

MYSTERY! DANGER! INTRIGUE!!!!!! 

Well after a few hours of being meh, I really don't care that they took him. They know more than me and clearly know something I do not. 

He had 10 points in 10 games as a defenseman in U18 this year, moved up to U20, where he had 9 points in 27 games.  As a 17 year old.

There could be something here.

Google translated Ilves page says 184cm (6' 0.5") and 68.9kg (151lbs).

Def confirmed he is not such a little guy after all although he needs to weight train like a MOFO... or a MODO  :flirt:

I distinctly noticed that.  I also noticed they never did any quick recaps of players taken in commercial breaks.  I also noticed they put a pretty sad B squad on NHLN for this, in stark contrast to a strong squad last night on NBCSN.

NBCSN's Smartest move for their Draft Coverage was borrowing the TSN Crew for live coverage.

He wasn't completely under the radar.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

If they really loved this kid and thought he was completely under the radar, why not trade down, pick up picks in he rounds we didn't have selections and draft him later?

1. They said they knew other teams were interested in him.

2. If you identify a player you think could be special, you make sure you get him. Trying to trade down or wait as long as you can isn't worth the risk.

Interesting. I was wondering why they took him so early because he wasn't even listed in the hockeyprospects draft black book, and they scout over 300 players.

1. They said they knew other teams were interested in him.

2. If you identify a player you think could be special, you make sure you get him. Trying to trade down or wait as long as you can isn't worth the risk.

1. That doesn't mean they were going to take him in the 3rd round or at all.  

2.  Special is great, but I find it hard to believe that Jbot and staff had him as the 89th or higher rated player in the draft.  there is no way this was a "BPA" pick. 

1. That doesn't mean they were going to take him in the 3rd round or at all.  

2.  Special is great, but I find it hard to believe that Jbot and staff had him as the 89th or higher rated player in the draft.  there is no way this was a "BPA" pick. 

So they pick based on need and you're still not happy?

LOL, I said need, not reach 3 rounds

By the way, did you see the quote Kas posted showing the Jbot uses "BPA" but also takes position into account.  I can see that in his 1st 3 picks, but those next two D were reaches of biblical proportion.

Edited by GASabresFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.