OT.... Best vacation you've had

Wyldnwoody44

Great thread. 

Some of my favorites:

- Family trip to California (LA, then driving up coast to SF with overnight stops along the way in Morro Bay and Monterrey).

- Family trip to Spain (Barcelona and Valencia)

- Family trip to Edinboro, London and Paris

- Honeymoon in Hong Kong and Thailand

- Men's ski trip in Colorado

- Weekend trip to San Diego with wife for a wedding with a bunch of old friends

Half my family is from Cali.  Was born in San Fran, but grew up in Buffalo... long story, but travel back frequently... the drive from LA to San Fran up 101 is spectacular.  Morrow Bay is awesome with the 20 footers hitting the breakwall and the otters in the harbor.  https://fischerwilliamsphoto.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Southern-California-Beach/i-VNjSxCK

Last year my girlfriend and I did NY, Croatia, France and it was amazing! Did the tourist thing in NYC. Carriage ride in Central Park, Empire State Building and Times Square. In Croatia, stayed at Villa Dubrovnik visiting the Old City, Ston for oysters right out of the bay and an Olive Orchard in the country side. France was full of people for the Euro Cup and the the Eiffel Tower waz shut down for it also so we saw it but couldn't go up. Saw Mona Lisa behind her bullet proof glass and cruised the Champs Ellyses like the rest of the sheep, France was the worst part of the trip, Croatia was magnificent!!

Edited by Murray's Rats

I was deployed to Iraq in 2007-2008 but got to spend a week in Qatar.  For those that may not know, Qatar is (well was at the time) an extremely 'liberal' and Westernized middle eastern country.  They love Westerners and Americans.  Visiting the old shop district was incredible, spice markets, the gold district etc.  A man that owned a falconry let me handle his most expensive falcon (its apparently a sign of high social standing to own falcons in Qatar) so it was pretty incredible that he let me handle him, that bird was a monster!  Walking around the spice market was awesome, all the smells and aromas were just incredible.  Unfortunately I couldn't buy any spices to take back with me because I would've had no way to use them.  I ate at a traditional Persian restaurant on the gulf not far from the giant Olympic torch they built so they could bid on the games.  I was there with my friend and two Marines we met having dinner and then spending time at the hookah lounge with a servant waiting on us hand and foot ensuring we had enough coffee, tea and biscuits. Got to take a tour of some locals homes, absolutely insane, I have never seen such lavish and elegant homes, Ferraris and Lambo's in every driveway, the lesser half only drive BMW's and Mercedes, poor folks.  I toured the gold shops and bought my wife a necklace, when we finally reached a deal and shook hands, he rang a bell and a woman came out a moment later with tea and scones to celebrate the deal and I ended up talking to the guy for almost an hour, very cool.  Finished the vacation by fishing in the gulf the last day, which was really just sitting on the deck of a yacht eating sushi for a few hours.  I'm not sure how it is in Qatar now, but, I had an amazing week there.

Good idea to rest up. When is ladies night in Dublin? Use that hair while you have it man. Don't let me down.

Every night is ladies night in Dublin man, and unfortunately, the hair isn't a deal breaker, but I'll do my best to not let you down! I made out with an Irish lass last night at the temple bar and then to the brazen head, but the deal was not closed haha.

Every night is ladies night in Dublin man, and unfortunately, the hair isn't a deal breaker, but I'll do my best to not let you down! I made out with an Irish lass last night at the temple bar and then to the brazen head, but the deal was not closed haha.

Do not kiss the blarney stone. Apparently the Irish lads like to piss on it. lol

Actual vacation story: my senior year of high school, I went with a friend who graduated a year ahead of me and his brother who was a year behind me to Ft. Benning Georgia over winter break (he enlisted). This included New Year's Eve in Savannah. 17 year old me learned a lot about life (and strip clubs, and recreational drugs) that week. Of course, since the older brother who drove us down was staying this led younger brother and I to have to buy Greyhound tickets from Savannah to Buffalo. Fun ride. Never doing that again. I showered for a full day after being on that bus for 38 hours...

Would do it again in a heartbeat. Middle aged me might not be able to get away with it though.

Exploring the hidden gems of Croatia and Italy (on separate occasions) was great.

Best trip (not really a vacation) was each and every time we have been to Bosnia.  So much more than a vacation, though, as our main focus was trying to help folks out as best we could in as hands-on a manner as we could.

Exploring the hidden gems of Croatia and Italy (on separate occasions) was great.

Best trip (not really a vacation) was each and every time we have been to Bosnia.  So much more than a vacation, though, as our main focus was trying to help folks out as best we could in as hands-on a manner as we could.

Happy Eid, bud.

Happy Eid, bud.

Thanks, my friend.

Prayers yesterday morning were great.  5,000+ gathered on the field of a university football team on a nice early summer day in late June.  With the call to prayer and the prayers being amplified for all to hear that many local neighbours gathered to watch.  There is nothing quite like a person that is well versed in classical Arabic to do the call to prayer and when the Qur'an is recited by an Imam with the same language skills outlined above during the prayers ... it simply is magical.

The rest of the day was spent with my wife, as Eid day 1 is supposed to be for family, and was one of the best days of our lives.  Nothing real extraordinary, but spent a beautiful day at a park on the ocean.  We were basking in the warmth of Ramadan and the sun.

I am not catholic by any means, don't know much about it.... But I met 2 lovely gals In Killarney and they talked me into going to Mass at the enormous St Mary's cathedral, it so happened the Indianapolis student choir was there and some very special Irish clergy....I have to say, it was quite the spectacle (minus the chanting and kneeling etc... I was lost) but to be there where the bishop spoke both gaelic and English prayer was quite amazing.

I am not catholic by any means, don't know much about it.... But I met 2 lovely gals In Killarney and they talked me into going to Mass at the enormous St Mary's cathedral, it so happened the Indianapolis student choir was there and some very special Irish clergy....I have to say, it was quite the spectacle (minus the chanting and kneeling etc... I was lost) but to be there where the bishop spoke both gaelic and English prayer was quite amazing.

I may have (probably have) told the story before, but years ago I traveled Europe with a band and choir, and we narrowly avoided being in the middle of the London Underground bombing. A couple days later we were in a stunning medieval church in Austria- a very small one, actually. Not a huge cathedral (though they are incredible) or anything, but a small, wooden, hand hewn chapel of sorts. Ancient wooden altar, beautiful artistry.

The choir sang a heart rending hymn and we had a moment of silence for those lost in the bombing. It was the loudest moment of silence in my life thus far. It was overwhelming and humbling. Everyone, locals and us foreigners, was silently crying and there was a feeling of unity that I'll never forget. I am not religious, but moments like those can really make me understand why so many love and take solace in it. 

Those are the experiences that make travel so important. 

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any recommendations for Australia, I'm flying out in a couple hours and have a few days booked at each of the major cities for the next 2 weeks.... Kinda just made this one on the fly, so my itinerary is pretty free. Any suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Yeah, I'd recommend hitting up a brothel. I mean, why wouldn't you?

Anyone have any recommendations for Australia, I'm flying out in a couple hours and have a few days booked at each of the major cities for the next 2 weeks.... Kinda just made this one on the fly, so my itinerary is pretty free. Any suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Take a water ferry around Sydney, do take the tour of the Opera House, walk through Hyde Park in the early evening...not sure if they do it in September but at least in Dec/January hordes of massive bats come into the city to roost in the trees at the park. We were freaking out until observing the locals not reacting at all. 

In Melbourne do check out the WWI memorial...Anzac Day. 

Eat fish and chips...and shepherds pie. 

Cricket, definitely. Rugby if you can.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.