OT.... Best vacation you've had

Wyldnwoody44

• 1 month later...

Anyone have recommendations for cruises? My lady has wanted to go on one forever and I'm sure my kid would like it. It will definitely be in the Caribbean. I just don't know which part and which boat.

We went on one cruise in the Med.  The ship was just not our cup of tea, so we made it all about the stops ... Dubrovnik (been many times), Venice, Rome, Athens and it started in Istanbul.  We spent about 10 days in Istanbul prior to the cruise and very nearly did not board the ship.

So, stick to the Med.

• 1 month later...

Kind of random, but I am looking into a trip to Nepal, and a trip to base camp of everest and possibly a hike to a lower peak.... The summit is probably something that I can't do (time, $$, out of shape) I'm looking at maybe October, has anyone had any experience or done a trek like this?

Anyone have any recommendations for Australia, I'm flying out in a couple hours and have a few days booked at each of the major cities for the next 2 weeks.... Kinda just made this one on the fly, so my itinerary is pretty free. Any suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Sydney - take the ferry to Manly Beach, bus to Bondi or Balmoral in Mosman. Paddington in the evening for a few pints and a bite. The Rocks down around the Harbour Bridge. Have a beer at the Mercantile. Go out on the Harbour Bridge and take some pics. Darling Harbour. Royal Botanic Gardens. And if you have an extra day, do the Taronga Zoo.

Sydney - take the ferry to Manly Beach, bus to Bondi or Balmoral in Mosman. Paddington in the evening for a few pints and a bite. The Rocks down around the Harbour Bridge. Have a beer at the Mercantile. Go out on the Harbour Bridge and take some pics. Darling Harbour. Royal Botanic Gardens. And if you have an extra day, do the Taronga Zoo.

Thanks, I ended up doing taronga, but in Sydney I went to Circular Quay and hung out downtown, did a bridge crawl and then went to the opera house for a comedy satire. I found the rest of Australia to be much more fun, I guess I just don't love big cities.... And driving in ridiculous traffic

Just got back from Spain a couple weeks ago. This was a game changer for me. I had never been to Europe so I was captivated by the history, the castles, the food, the Moorish architecture, the people, everything about that beautiful place. Stayed in Madrid for 5 nights then drove to the southern coast and stayed in Malaga for the rest of the trip and ventured out from there to places like Cordoba, Granada, Ronda, Cesares, Seville. Took a side trip into Gibralter which was cool. Rode the gondola to the top of the rock. Some highlights were touring Real Madrids Stadium, Touring The Alhambra of Granada, Touring the Mosque/Cathedral of Cordoba. Touring the Old towns of Cesares and Ronda. Seville was amazing. Put 3500 km on the rental. I'm going back. at some point I'll take another shot at Spain. Really beautiful.

Thanks, I ended up doing taronga, but in Sydney I went to Circular Quay and hung out downtown, did a bridge crawl and then went to the opera house for a comedy satire. I found the rest of Australia to be much more fun, I guess I just don't love big cities.... And driving in ridiculous traffic

Sorry my bad - should've looked at the post date. Yep, Sydney's traffic is tough, especially when you have to drive on the other side. In the 90s, my buddy and I drove the entire eastern side on the continent in about 2 months and camped. Once in a lifetime experience. 

Woody, how much time do you actually spend in the US?

Ya know, I try and take one trip a month, whether it's local or global.... My job sucks and is stressful, it's long, hard hours. The perk for me is that financially I am in a good spot and my days are soooo long (usually 12+)hours that allows me to work a lot less (days) per month.

I'm 33, single, no kids that I'm aware of :) I'm cool with seeing/experiencing as much as I can, before the reality of aging hits me.

Sorry my bad - should've looked at the post date. Yep, Sydney's traffic is tough, especially when you have to drive on the other side. In the 90s, my buddy and I drove the entire eastern side on the continent in about 2 months and camped. Once in a lifetime experience.

I wanted to take a camper van from the east all the way through uluru and to Perth.... But just don't have that much time, I really enjoyed cairns and Melbourne though!! Its aleays nice experienceing other cultures too, nice people in aussie land

Just got back from Spain a couple weeks ago. This was a game changer for me. I had never been to Europe so I was captivated by the history, the castles, the food, the Moorish architecture, the people, everything about that beautiful place. Stayed in Madrid for 5 nights then drove to the southern coast and stayed in Malaga for the rest of the trip and ventured out from there to places like Cordoba, Granada, Ronda, Cesares, Seville. Took a side trip into Gibralter which was cool. Rode the gondola to the top of the rock. Some highlights were touring Real Madrids Stadium, Touring The Alhambra of Granada, Touring the Mosque/Cathedral of Cordoba. Touring the Old towns of Cesares and Ronda. Seville was amazing. Put 3500 km on the rental. I'm going back. at some point I'll take another shot at Spain. Really beautiful.

That's awesome!!! I'm looking at Spain in the summer maybe, I want to see Greece too, but I'll keep some of these ideas in mind. It was that good eh?

Ya know, I try and take one trip a month, whether it's local or global.... My job sucks and is stressful, it's long, hard hours. The perk for me is that financially I am in a good spot and my days are soooo long (usually 12+)hours that allows me to work a lot less (days) per month.

I'm 33, single, no kids that I'm aware of :) I'm cool with seeing/experiencing as much as I can, before the reality of aging hits me.

I wanted to take a camper van from the east all the way through uluru and to Perth.... But just don't have that much time, I really enjoyed cairns and Melbourne though!! Its aleays nice experienceing other cultures too, nice people in aussie land

That's awesome!!! I'm looking at Spain in the summer maybe, I want to see Greece too, but I'll keep some of these ideas in mind. It was that good eh?

Yeah I've been a few places and Spain was it for me and my wife both. Really nice.

In two days Mrs. Neo and I will join four NeoEttes and their wives, girlfriends and children for six days and five nights in Asheville, North Carolina. I’ve rented a home in the mountains as a place to bring my wide spread family together for Christmas and New Years.

The eleven of us will be joined by a long time friend and his family of five. Our families have spent Christmas and Thanksgiving together for years. I am looking forward to mountain views, big time grilling and meals, raucous laughter, some bar and hot tub time, trips into town for history and shopping, and a day at The Biltmore.

Vacations at my age .... creating a destination for friends and family so dispersed.

Spain won my heart over the summer of 2015!  I just visited the parts that you mentioned this past summer (3 weeks:  end of July through mid August) and am already yearning to go back.  Malaga was such a beachy, fun town; I loved being there and being able to travel so many other fun cities while also taking the time to relax at Malagueta Beach or any other parts.  I recommend hitting up Barcelona on your next trip.  I spent 12 nights there in 2015 and still needed more time, so went back this summer and split my time between there and Malaga.  My goodness, do I LOVE that city!  And, while your're in BCN, make arrangement to spend at least one night in Montserrat.  Life changing, indeed!  Feel free to let me know if you need any suggestions; I travel on a small budget and I do it up WELL!

DO it while you can!  We share the same philosophy.  My wanderlust is my newest relationship....hasn't let me down yet :)

• Like (+1) 1

I have been fortunate to explore a LOT and have loved every second of it. Here is a snippet

*I have stayed in every state along the entire east coast from Maine to Key West and Michigan/Ohio

*Vegas

*Cali:  San Fran, Monterrey, San Jose, Pebble Beach, Highway 1

*Negril, Jamaica

*Nassau, Bahamas

*Cancun, Mexico

*All of the Florida Keys

*Panama City, FL

*Washington and Oregon

*Melbourne, Australia

*Spain, Italy, and France

Up next:  Big Island, Hawaii and Peru

But, I feel my best trip was six glorious weeks in Europe during June through August of 2015.

One of my closest friends was getting married in Italy that summer and my best friend and I were both invited.  I convinced her (my BFF) to travel with me for six weeks surrounding that wedding and, man, was THAT a summer I will never forget!  Spain:  Barcelona; France:  Aix en Provence, Nice, and the French Riveria; Monaco:  Monte Carlo; Italy:  Florence, Venice, Amalfi Coast, and Rome.  My BFF was with me the whole time.  10ish days surrounding the wedding brought our group of eight close friends to Florence to live it up and then all of us went to Venice together.  I was able to fulfill my Mom's lifelong dream of seeing the Vatican and Sistine Chapel and she came over for the last 9 days of my journey.  Simply AMAZING.  There is just something about watching your Mom look like a little kid on Christmas in the middle of Vatican City that can never be duplicated or removed from your heart/brain; it is the reverse of what parenting is all about and I still get weepy when I look at pictures of her two years later.

Travel, my friends!  It is good for the soul :)

Our goal is to visit every State by the time my oldest graduates High School. So far... hit 36 States. Last Christmas drove to Berkley CA via route 80. Cold but miraculously no snow. Coming back stopped off at Yosemite... Skied Sundance in Utah, and Eldoro Co. Snow Tubed at Steamboat Springs and sat in a hot tub -5 degrees outside outdoor tub was 105 degrees in Sulpher Springs Co... had to dip head under to get rid of icicles in hair...

Have gone Dollywood, Louisville Slugger factory and City Museum in St Louis... Eaten fast food steak there too... Lincoln Nebraska has the greates kids zoo... love Charleston SC and Savanah GA as well as Little 5 Points in Atlanta. Rib House in Amarillo Tx. Need to do North West and AK an Hi still... but greatest trip was in my 20s 3 week bike trip in France quit for a week on the beaches in SW France... near Spanish border... Cap Ferret... Dune de Pila is amazing.

Edited by Kottbullar

I went on a singles cruise to St. Thomas/Kozmel Mexico and Jamaica, it was an amazing time but I'm certain I may have a few children in other states that I'm not aware of, I miss you Tiffany... or was it Tina? Whichever, good times!!!

lol. Enjoy life man !

Spain won my heart over the summer of 2015!  I just visited the parts that you mentioned this past summer (3 weeks:  end of July through mid August) and am already yearning to go back.  Malaga was such a beachy, fun town; I loved being there and being able to travel so many other fun cities while also taking the time to relax at Malagueta Beach or any other parts.  I recommend hitting up Barcelona on your next trip.  I spent 12 nights there in 2015 and still needed more time, so went back this summer and split my time between there and Malaga.  My goodness, do I LOVE that city!  And, while your're in BCN, make arrangement to spend at least one night in Montserrat.  Life changing, indeed!  Feel free to let me know if you need any suggestions; I travel on a small budget and I do it up WELL!

DO it while you can!  We share the same philosophy.  My wanderlust is my newest relationship....hasn't let me down yet :)

Yeah Barcelona was my one regret this time but for sure next time. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.