Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

Marian Hossa may have to retire due to severe allergies to equipment.  Evidently the medication he's been taking to counter that is potentially messing him up as well.  That's messed up and I feel bad for the guy.

If he does have to hang them up, it'll be interesting to see just how bananas the rest of the league goes when Chicago pulls a Pronger in order to avoid the cap recapture penalty that they can in no way handle. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-marian-hossa-retirement-20170620-story.html

Marian Hossa may have to retire due to severe allergies to equipment.  Evidently the medication he's been taking to counter that is potentially messing him up as well.  That's messed up and I feel bad for the guy.

If he does have to hang them up, it'll be interesting to see just how bananas the rest of the league goes when Chicago pulls a Pronger in order to avoid the cap recapture penalty that they can in no way handle. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-marian-hossa-retirement-20170620-story.html

I saw that interesting way out of cap recapture like they mighta known that before contract. Sounds fishy to meee.

Oof. How awful. And scary. Such a terrific player. I wish him well.

I saw that interesting way out of cap recapture like they mighta known that before contract. Sounds fishy to meee.

All indications are that this is a legitimate and serious (and unforeseen) medical issue.

Dude put up nearly 30 goals and 50 points last season. Makes more sense for him to continue to play and then get sat on LTIR later. I'm sure he will always be allergic to his kit now. I think i saw a tweet saying he will miss next season at the least. Poor guy - rough way to possibly end a career.

I believe that Hossa is having that problem, but that couldn't have happened in a more suspicious way, and couldn't have sounded more like an excuse that an 8 year old concocted.

Yeah like my pads are making me itchy, not sure if I can play coach

I believe that Hossa is having that problem, but that couldn't have happened in a more suspicious way, and couldn't have sounded more like an excuse that an 8 year old concocted. 

Yeah like my pads are making me itchy, not sure if I can play coach

Hmmm. I've been taking what's being said at face value. And there's plenty of very grave, sober Tweets out there from Serious Minded People wishing him well, etc.

What's the financial upside/relief for the team if they LTIR him?

Hmmm. I've been taking what's being said at face value. And there's plenty of very grave, sober Tweets out there from Serious Minded People wishing him well, etc.

What's the financial upside/relief for the team if they LTIR him?

3.5 mil annually in cap space.

and it hasn't bothered him enough to curtail his career until there was a major decline in production and he sees the retooling to come.  Cap dodge plain and simple.  This is no different than " I don't think I want to train in the offseason like I used to."  That is called retirement and the Hawks should pay for that contract.  

and it hasn't bothered him enough to curtail his career until there was a major decline in production and he sees the retooling to come.  Cap dodge plain and simple.  This is no different than " I don't think I want to train in the offseason like I used to."  That is called retirement and the Hawks should pay for that contract.  

Exactly. It just so happens to reach the point where it's unbearable when he starts earning $1 million per year in his contract. I don't buy it but I hope his skin rots off anyway just for karma's sake.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/marian-hossa-2021/

Edited by Drunkard

The Gunk sounds nasty. Makes me itch just reading about it. Sounds like athletes foot everywhere.

This sounds more like a chaffing dermatitis than a true "allergy", which I think was a non-medical description of his rash, concocted by some reporter and people have ran with it. An allergy to leather and fabric would be extremely rare.

Here's a good article about The Gunk:

http://www.lockerroomdoctor.com/the-gunk-a-virulent-oozing-rash/

Of course there's really no good pictures of it.

Edited by kas23

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.