Housley Named Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

I always thought the improvement was overrated. "The Sabres" didn't improve that much. You could say the franchise did. It's not like the tank roster of 14-15 carried over to Bylsma's first year.

Yeah, given that the previous year was an intentional tank, the improvement wasn't as dramatic as the numbers show.  I was simply pointing out that it's not hypocritical or inconsistent for more criticism of Housley his first April vs Bylsma's.   The team plummeted to the bottom of the standings during Housley's first season in the center seat.  Whereas at least with Bylsma, it looked like the team might be going in the right direction, April 2016, emphasis on 'might'.   

Myself, I was just as skeptical of Bylsma in April 2016 as I am about Housley now - probably more so with Housley because all we've seen is a huge regression. 

But he gets a pass until fall.   I can agree with that line of reasoning, so we'll wait and see.  

If you want to be able to attract good personnel, you don't turn the front door into a turn style. No good coach, GM or free agent for that matter wants to go somewhere that dumps you after a few poor months.

A GM needs to be given five years and a coach two, unless there are obvious extenuating circumstances in my view.

I actually want ruff back 

I want Ted Nolan back. Nolan made sure everyone played hard and gave a good effort. Unfortunately, Murray screwed him over and wanted his own coach. Doubt we'll ever see Nolan back in Buffalo.

IMO, Housley should be given a quarter of the season. If the team still looks like they did this past year, then it's time for him to go. If the Sabres still look awful at the end of next season, then it's time to can Botterill.

I want Ted Nolan back. Nolan made sure everyone played hard and gave a good effort. Unfortunately, Murray screwed him over and wanted his own coach. Doubt we'll ever see Nolan back in Buffalo.

IMO, Housley should be given a quarter of the season. If the team still looks like they did this past year, then it's time for him to go. If the Sabres still look awful at the end of next season, then it's time to can Botterill.

Botterill deserves at least 3 years. This is literally his first full off-season.

Sorry but Nolan is not a good coach at this level.

Twice was one time too many.

Disagree. It was during the "tank" time and Murray got rid of all the good talent on the team. Even at the trade deadline, Murray traded away whatever talent he could so the Sabres would finish in last place. It would have been nice to see how Nolan did with the team the following year.

Disagree. It was during the "tank" time and Murray got rid of all the good talent on the team. Even at the trade deadline, Murray traded away whatever talent he could so the Sabres would finish in last place. It would have been nice to see how Nolan did with the team the following year.

The coaching staff wasn't meant to win games, either.

The coaching staff wasn't meant to win games, either.

Agreed. Overall, Nolan made his players work hard and benched them when they weren't. I'd rather have a coach like that compared to one who's soft and wants players to fit into a particular system. 

There's a reason Ted Nolan, Dan Byslma, and Ron Rolston didn't receive coaching offers last summer, and won't this summer either

I agree about Bylsma and Rolston. IMO, Nolan has a reputation of fighting/clashing with GM's, so I highly doubt we'll ever see him coach in the NHL again.

Question does Dan Bylsma being named as an Asst Coach to Team USA for the World Championships influence Jack’s Decision to say no to joining the team. I know that his ankle probably has been bothering him and he wants to spend the off season in rehabilitating it, but I still wonder if Bylsma played a role

Question does Dan Bylsma being named as an Asst Coach to Team USA for the World Championships influence Jack’s Decision to say no to joining the team. I know that his ankle probably has been bothering him and he wants to spend the off season in rehabilitating it, but I still wonder if Bylsma played a role

Considering Eichel skipped it last year without Bylsma there because of a high ankle sprain, and Eichel had another high ankle sprain this time six months closer to the tournament than the first one....

Considering Eichel skipped it last year without Bylsma there because of a high ankle sprain, and Eichel had another high ankle sprain this time six months closer to the tournament than the first one....

OR ... he had a suspicion that Bylsma would be involved with this year's squad last year & was setting up plausible deniability for this year. One step ahead. ALWAYS stay one step ahead. :lol:

I disagree 100% with your premise.  Even if he was able to fire Housley and everyone else with no financial repercussions there's no way he's doing that.

Why?

Because an organization that undergoes continual change and uncertainty of leadership is an organization that NO ONE wants to involved with.

Buffalo bills seemed to make changes until there found the right guys

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.