Cal Peterson turning pro

ct fab

I forget, why is Quick overrated again? Advanced stats?

His name got associated with the Lundqvist class based on one season and a couple of hot playoff runs. But his career numbers, both regular season and playoffs, are wonderfully average. To be able to do that yearly is good, but his reputation outstrips his play by a pretty good clip.

His name got associated with the Lundqvist class based on one season and a couple of hot playoff runs. But his career numbers, both regular season and playoffs, are wonderfully average. To be able to do that yearly is good, but his reputation outstrips his play by a pretty good clip.

Plus he was really not good in the Olympics but was the starter despite Miller being on an insane run

Quick's style of play takes a toll on him physically.   He'll have a short career, one filled with injuries in the later half. 

I'll say it again,  Petersen is a career minor leaguer, he doesn't have the size/skill to compete at the NHL level.    Jack Campbell will be Quick's backup.

And don't they have to wait until mid-August to sign him?   How can they announce this while he's still Sabre's property?   Isn't that considered tampering?

Edited by pi2000

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2017 at 9:08 PM, OhMyDahlin said:

As for how draft picks have been used in that regard...I kind of have the break-down of numbers, since the 2000 NHL draft. (Granted, this isn't just limited to Murray or Botterill.)

Buffalo ranks 3rd drafting Major Junior players at 52.1%, 20th in NCAA players at 27.1%, and 25th in European players at 20.7%.

Pittsburgh ranks 22nd in drafting Major Junior players at 40%, 1st in NCAA players at 42.4%, and 28th in European players at 17.6%.

But Murray definitely leaned heavily towards CHL and European players, while the Penguins continue to lean on NCAA players in the draft and undrafted free agency.

In his three drafts, Murray drafted 6 NCAA players...Eichel, Fitzgerald, Borgen, Murray, Nyberg and Chukarov. (Nyberg was scouted out of the SuperElit, so he could be considered a European...all the others were in the United States.)

Right now the Penguins currently have just one unsigned CHL player in Connor Hall, two unsigned euros in Gustavsson and Almari, and nine unsigned NCAA players in Bjokqvist, Pavlychev, Masonius, Jones, Lafferty, Angello, Byron, Tiffels, Birks, and they just signed Taylor who was a draft pick...they also signed Zac Aston-Reese as a free agent to an NHL contract, as well as NCAA free agents Troy Josephs and Dylan Zink to AHL contracts.

Long story short, I think we will see quite a shift in how we draft, and Botterill will begin to lean heavily on the NCAA with his draft picks.

Just a few others NCAA players they've brought in throughout the last few years...

Thomas Di Pauli - Signed as an free agent, after he "Vesey'd" the Capitals.

Ethan Prow - Undrafted NCAA free agent

Conor Sheary - Undrafted NCAA free agent

Carter Rowney - Undrafted NCAA free agent

Teddy Bluegers - NCAA draft pick (2nd round)

Bryan Rust - NCAA draft pick (3rd round)

Jake Guentzel - NCAA draft pick (3rd round)

Sean Maguire - NCAA draft pick (4th round)

Josh Archibald - NCAA draft pick (6th round)

Scott Wilson - NCAA draft pick (7th round)

Ian Cole was an NCAA draft pick in 2007, which is when Botterill started working as a scout.

Brian Dumoulin was an NCAA draft pick in 2009, when Botterill was working as a scout.

Justin Schultz and Chad Ruhwedel were NCAA players, whom Botterfill could've/would've scouted.

Lol, again, needless to say...I think Jason Botterill really likes NCAA hockey players, whether it's in the draft or free agency.

(***Sources for the draft numbers are from the Hockey News draft preview magazine...all other information is through my own research.)

Quite interesting to look back on this after three of Jason Botterill's drafts...

I was spot-on with drafting more NCAA players and not drafting CHL players (we finally got one!)...but I missed out on the Swedes.

(I'd personally rather draft more NCAA players than Europeans, but that's just me.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.