[OT] Memorial Day

#freejame

For the unaware, today is Memorial Day. The day has come to signify the start of Summer and is usually celebrated with BBQs and campouts (I'm about to fire up the grill myself), but it is important to remember what the day's true intention is: to remember the fallen. 

Regardless of where a person falls on the political spectrum or if they have supported any of the wars during their lifetime, they should be able to acknowledge that the men and women who have died fighting for their freedoms, beliefs, and country have paid a sacrifice that is both honorable and courageous. With that being said, I ask that you take a moment today to remember those who have lost their lives in the name of the United States of America.

To those of you who have lost a relative or friend to war, I truly am deeply sorry for your loss. The courage it takes to preserver after the loss of a family member is one that I could never truly understand. However, I have witnessed this courage on too many occasions and would like to add that this aspect is not lost on me. Not only are you also in my thoughts today, but you also have my utmost respect.

To those of you who have lost someone they served with, remember them today in their finest honor and revel in their memory. Be proud to have known such a warrior and even more proud to have served along side them. If you need someone to talk to today, or any day, feel free to message me. 

If you feel like you're struggling to properly make use of the day, consider the impact the men behind the following initials had on the people around them, the love they possessed for their families, the courage they showed in combat, and the loss to the world with them no longer on earth: CH, TS, RS, JM, JS, MD, APT, JJ, GG

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

For the unaware, today is Memorial Day. The day has come to signify the start of Summer and is usually celebrated with BBQs and campouts (I'm about to fire up the grill myself), but it is important to remember what the day's true intention is: to remember the fallen. 

Regardless of where a person falls on the political spectrum or if they have supported any of the wars during their lifetime, they should be able to acknowledge that the men and women who have died fighting for their freedoms, beliefs, and country have paid a sacrifice that is both honorable and courageous. With that being said, I ask that you take a moment today to remember those who have lost their lives in the name of the United States of America.

To those of you who have lost a relative or friend to war, I truly am deeply sorry for your loss. The courage it takes to preserver after the loss of a family member is one that I could never truly understand. However, I have witnessed this courage on too many occasions and would like to add that this aspect is not lost on me. Not only are you also in my thoughts today, but you also have my utmost respect.

To those of you who have lost someone they served with, remember them today in their finest honor and revel in their memory. Be proud to have known such a warrior and even more proud to have served along side them. If you need someone to talk to today, or any day, feel free to message me. 

If you feel like you're struggling to properly make use of the day, consider the impact the men behind the following initials had on the people around them, the love they possessed for their families, the courage they showed in combat, and the loss to the world with them no longer on earth: CH, TS, RS, JM, JS, MD, APT, JJ, GG

We'll said. Thank you. 

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-staff-sgt-ergin-v-osman/6567765

Oz. The funniest man I ever knew. And the deadliest. RIP buddy. 

https://www.stripes.com/news/pathfinders-preparedness-is-tested-by-deadly-ied-blasts-1.177883#.WSyxM8pOnqA

This article does an adequate job of summing up one of the worst days of my life if anyone's interested. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wasn't going to post in this thread. But then I was listening to some music and Almost Home by Craig Morgan came on. I haven't heard that song in a couple of years. That one always sticks with me.

My cousin was a marine whose life was taken by a roadside IED in the Al Anbar province in Iraq. He was 21. At his funeral, one of his men came up to the stage and sang a song that all the guys in the platoon would make him sing on nights at the base. The song was Almost Home. I'd heard it before, but it's never been the same since that day. Since that day I have not heard it once where tears didn't stream down my face. It takes me right back there, every time.

My cousin and I never got to have a beer together. We never got to catch up at the family reunion as adults and shoot the sh!t. We never got to talk about real life as men. All of that makes me immeasurably sad. But I'm damn proud of him. He did 3 tours and he loved his job. I just sometimes wish it was a different job. I know he didn't, but I do.

RIP Sargent Parker.

I'll raise a glass to all the veterans we memorialize today.

Edited by ubkev
  • Like (+1) 2

http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-staff-sgt-ergin-v-osman/6567765

Oz. The funniest man I ever knew. And the deadliest. RIP buddy. 

https://www.stripes.com/news/pathfinders-preparedness-is-tested-by-deadly-ied-blasts-1.177883#.WSyxM8pOnqA

This article does an adequate job of summing up one of the worst days of my life if anyone's interested. 

Great read about a terrible day. The frustration you must have felt after such a cowardly attack is immeasurable. Oz sounds like a great man. Everyone I've known who went from Marines to Army were among the happiest and most eager in the face of adversity. I've gotta say, stories like this make me feel fortunate to have spent all of my time in the Northeast. They've got their issues there, but at least the weather is nicer and attacks like yours weren't common.

I wasn't going to post in this thread. But then I was listening to some music and Almost Home by Craig Morgan came on. I haven't heard that song in a couple of years. That one always sticks with me.

My cousin was a marine whose life was taken by a roadside IED in the Al Anbar province in Iraq. He was 21. At his funeral, one of his men came up to the stage and sang a song that all the guys in the platoon would make him sing on nights at the base. The song was Almost Home. I'd heard it before, but it's never been the same since that day. Since that day I have not heard it once where tears didn't stream down my face. It takes me right back there, every time.

My cousin and I never got to have a beer together. We never got to catch up at the family reunion as adults and shoot the sh!t. We never got to talk about real life as men. All of that makes me immeasurably sad. But I'm damn proud of him. He did 3 tours and he loved his job. I just sometimes wish it was a different job. I know he didn't, but I do.

RIP Sargent Parker.

I'll raise a glass to all the veterans we memorialize today.

Thank you for sharing. I went ahead and listened to the song; It certainly felt appropriate for the circumstances and must have been incredibly moving at the funeral. While there's nothing that can make up for those lost moments or erase those feelings of sadness, I have found that remembering that proudness you possess after having those feelings always leaves me with a slight smile. 

• 11 months later...

Bump.

A heartfelt and thoughtful “thank you”. I resurrected a thread and didn’t start a new one because I have no new words.

Who’s old enough to remember Decoration Day?

Edited by Neo

• 11 months later...

I lowered my flag this morning and it really got to me. I don’t think that I’ve been this emotional about Memorial Day in the past. Every year that passes I feel like I spend less and less time thinking of those who lost their lives for our country during my trips overseas, and the guilt gets to me. I wish I had done more. I wish I could have done more. I understand that for many this is a day of cookouts and pool parties, but please take the time to reflect today on those who have given their life for our freedom. 

CH, TS, RS, JM, JS, MD, APT, JJ, GG

Gone but not forgotten 

• Thanks (+1) 1

To those who served and sacrificed, and to their families, I am grateful.  We do good when we recognize all who serve and contribute on behalf of others.   We’re at our best when we uniquely recognize the ultimate sacrifice and the rationale that makes the sacrifice so.  Memorial Day reminds me that we’ll never surrender American exceptionalism to those who’d take it.  Whether or not we surrender it to comfort, cynicism or naivety remains to be seen.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm gonna remember and honor all the teachers, firefighters, military and policemen who have died protecting freedoms for the USA. Their service to this nation is paramount to its existence. 

Echoing this with an emphasis on those who did so protecting the freedoms of all. You deserve all the love and remembrance coming your way. This day is about you and only you.

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/53829/marines-remember-fallen-cobra-pilots-afghanistan

They were in support of another platoon’s mission when we took fire. They pulled off to help us. Multiple fire fights that day as two platoons moved to secure the crash site. We took fire from a couple hundred meters to the north of PB Meinert. Their Cobra was hit by RPG fire to the south of us. I do think those RPGs were meant for us in a coordinated attack. They gave their lives to support a squad they never met but knew as all Marines do.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

https://www.dvidshub.net/news/53829/marines-remember-fallen-cobra-pilots-afghanistan

They were in support of another platoon’s mission when we took fire. They pulled off to help us. Multiple fire fights that day as two platoons moved to secure the crash site. We took fire from a couple hundred meters to the north of PB Meinert. Their Cobra was hit by RPG fire to the south of us. I do think those RPGs were meant for us in a coordinated attack. They gave their lives to support a squad they never met but knew as all Marines do.

thanks 4 sharing

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.