Sabres president of hockey ops — I'm calling it (again)

PASabreFan

you may be right but then again I do think they hired the best available at the time and missed out on the big fish (Babcock). Maybe it was because of GMTM's attitude or outlook that babs did not come here. either way, I think after losing out on the babs sweepstakes he had to do something and Blysma was the best available at that time. I thought it was a good hiring and many others did to at the time...there was no way of knowing he'd preach a old and tired system that hasn;t worked in the NHL for at least 5 or 6 years

They hired the best known, not best available. If he were best available he wouldn't have been fired in 2 years. Edited by LGR4GM

It was discussed at great length on the Insitgators yesterday. Perfect role for Lindy.

How? Ruff is a coach....not a front office guy

Ruff has the knowledge, tons of expierence albeit it coaching. I think an advisor, or President of OPS would be a good fit for him.

John Wawrow says Pegula's are going solo. There will be no czar.

I don't see that.  He said the Pegulas will oversee the process.  Of course they will, they are the owners.  It doesn't mean they will run the process.  I am a product manager, I oversee a lot of things, but I don't do them.  I just make sure they get done according to my vision.

The Pegulas can begin overseeing the process by bringing in someone to RUN the process.

If TP has a hockey czar, with multiple knowledgeable layers between him and GM, he'll be unable to easily meddle and play puppet master. This isn't going to happen. Can you see him having the same structure as TOR? No way.

Hiring him to advise on whom to select as GM and coach is a good idea.  He's been in the league one way or another since 1979.  He knows what works and what doesn't--and who works and who doesn't.  If that's a president's role, he can and should be on the short list.

Hiring him as a GM (as has been suggested elsewhere) is a bad idea.  Sure, he can evaluate talent and I'm sure his voice was heard at the draft table, but he's never negotiated a trade, never dealt with the salary cap, never negotiated term or compensation, etc.

Edited by Eleven

• 5 years later...
On 4/20/2017 at 9:51 PM, PASabreFan said:

A certain poster will have to change his name to Twelve and a Half, but it has to be Lindy. Sylvester foreshadowed a president announcement tomorrow, and it makes perfect sense. Terry ain't going solo.

For Terry to already have someone lined up, it would have had to have been done pretty quietly, and that would be an easy thing with Lindy.

It's Pegula perfect and Russ likey for sure.

PA got this one right.

Yes. I'll admit to searching this one out, but gal-darn. Where's Freezing Cold Takes when you need them. hahahahahahaha

With all due disrespect.

jw

On 4/21/2017 at 2:14 AM, Two or less said:

Lordy. Look at this mention in the same thread.

Dammit. Me getting something over PA.

Unicorns must exist cause this never, ever happened. Ever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, john wawrow said:

PA got this one right.

Yes. I'll admit to searching this one out, but gal-darn. Where's Freezing Cold Takes when you need them. hahahahahahaha

With all due disrespect.

jw

Lordy. Look at this mention in the same thread.

Dammit. Me getting something over PA.

Unicorns must exist cause this never, ever happened. Ever.

It's a 5 year old thread. 

Spongebob Squarepants Reaction GIF

• Haha (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is one of the more incredible things I’ve seen on SabreSpace.

Considering the number of regular posters that dig up old dirt for gotcha moments, I’d call this more typical than incredible.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

Considering the number of regular posters that dig up old dirt for gotcha moments, I’d call this more typical than incredible.

I think you are calling it wrong.  Posters here do not regularly cruise 5 year old threads at 3am looking for posts that they can use to slam on another poster.  It’s impressive really.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I also disagree. I could be wrong. It doesn't feel like we do that a lot. Mostly because we all know deep down we've been full of ***** for years and the receipts are out there.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Curt said:

This is one of the more incredible things I’ve seen on SabreSpace.

And we’ve seen it before.

I love when Warrow drunk dials PA for his six month booty call.

It used to be GoDD. (From seven years ago. Good lord, what have I down with my life.)

1 hour ago, Weave said:

No. This is weird.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I also disagree. I could be wrong. It doesn't feel like we do that a lot. Mostly because we all know deep down we've been full of ***** for years and the receipts are out there.

yup. 

pick any draft thread, you can find bad liger takes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It makes me a little sad that a paid sports writer would exhume a 5-year old message board take from a hobbyist hockey dreamer in order to generate internet clout.

But mostly it makes me laugh.

I think it's kind of ***** to jump on someone like JW.  I think this forum would be better if there were more posters who are close to direct information sharing their insight here.  I also understand that he's not just insight, he's also personality, and that personality clashes with other personalities on the forum.  It would be nice if some of those personalities could lay off a bit and we could get a working relationship with a member of the press that follows the Sabres. 

It would also be nice if I won the lottery.  Probably the same odds for either one of those.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

I think it's kind of ***** to jump on someone like JW.  I think this forum would be better if there were more posters who are close to direct information sharing their insight here.  I also understand that he's not just insight, he's also personality, and that personality clashes with other personalities on the forum.  It would be nice if some of those personalities could lay off a bit and we could get a working relationship with a member of the press that follows the Sabres. 

It would also be nice if I won the lottery.  Probably the same odds for either one of those.

Warrow's post in the GDT from this morning is great. It answers the question asked and provides insight. I wish he posted more stuff like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm reminded of a great line in "Curb Your Enthusiasm" -- Jerry Seinfeld was talking about his wife with Larry, in particular about how he had to do something or other to keep her happy, and he said "you don't want to ruffle the exotic bird."

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.