Prediction Time: Will Dan Bylsma be fired this offseason?

TrueBlueGED

83 members have voted

1. 1. Well, will he?

• Yes.
    • No.

Maybe we need a Will GMTM be fired? poll.

Bad coaching hire and a very flawed roster, talent- and chemistry-wise. Why is he let off the hook?

So you let Murray fire Bylsma and pick his third coach (he admitted he had serious communication problems with Nolan) and tinker with the roster. Halfway through next season, it's more of the same as it becomes apparent the coach isn't the biggest problem. You do what? Fire Murray? What about the coach?

It's gotta be the old two-step. Lop. Lop. But we're back to who refills the tank of hope? A hiring committee of Kim, Terry and Russ?

Bad coaching hire and a very flawed roster, talent- and chemistry-wise. Why is he let off the hook?

So you let Murray fire Bylsma and pick his third coach (he admitted he had serious communication problems with Nolan) and tinker with the roster. Halfway through next season, it's more of the same as it becomes apparent the coach isn't the biggest problem. You do what? Fire Murray? What about the coach?

It's gotta be the old two-step. Lop. Lop. But we're back to who refills the tank of hope? A hiring committee of Kim, Terry and Russ?

I'm not there yet.  But I'm starting to sour on GMTM.  This is an enormous offseason for him.

I'm not there yet.  But I'm starting to sour on GMTM.  This is an enormous offseason for him.

Agreed. I really needed him to fire Bylsma 10 games after Jack returned. It didn't happen. It should have. He better fix whatever the heck he thinks the problem is. 

For me, he's not off the hook, but I don't really evaluate the job he did during the tank years. From my perspective, he's had two offseasons to take a historically bad roster and try to build it back up. That context is important to my evaluation. Barring catastrophic failure (which I don't think we have...he's had some good, some bad, and a lot of mediocre), I think a GM needs to get more than two years to improve the team. 2016 was a poor offseason for him...he can't afford a second in a row. That said, I'm not sure he (or anyone else) can accomplish everything this offseason he has to...his misses have put him in a really tough spot. So maybe he's already set up to fail in 2017...but I don't have much sympathy, as it's largely of his own doing.

Coach almost always goes before the GM. My prediction is that DD stays into next season while TM reworks the defense and bottom six this summer. However, if the team starts slow next season DD will be gone within a month. I wouldn't be surprised if Terry Murray leaves after this season to "pursue other interests". He is charge of the D and PK. GMTM will then replace him with someone who could step in if DD gets the axe early next year.

I voted no although it should be absolutely yes. Murray has given no indication that he's dissatisfied with Dreary Dan. Abundance of evidence to the contrary however, such as blaming the players.

As I said in the game thread, the 2 worst offseason outcomes are if Bogo and Dreary are here next season and I predict they will be unfortunately.

This is essentially how I see it. The post-deadline record with a basically healthy team put him in the coffin, and player exits will seal the coffin. I think he had a lot of rope due to the cascade of injuries to start the season, but almost inexplicably, he has still managed to run out.

On the other hand, if Murray keeps him on, he'd completely reclaim the ZFG championship belt. In a bad way, but still. 

Or it just means it's not his call and Terry still wants DB to remain coach because of his Stanley Cup ring and his Pittsburgh connection.

I said Yes, but, one caveat would be if it is GMTM's decision.

Still not sure, if T Peg was responsible for the hire when Babs decided on TO

If, TP has final say, I would say NO

If it's up to GMTM, YES.  GMTM has too much to lose on next season which will become playoffs or BUST.  DB's system seems to be a bad fit with skill set and today's NHL.  While defense is bad, it's a disaster under this coach, not to mention his constant line tinkering borders on OCD

What if the Bills had fired Levy after the bickering Bills debacle?

You think Colorado regrets firing Quenneville?

Seriously, less than two seasons removed from fielding the worst team in NHL history and it's the coaches fault they're not in the playoffs?

Nothing's wrong, they are who we thought they were. A team with some young guns figuring out how to play consistent hockey, and some aging slow vets on the tail end of horrendous contracts who will be gone soon. This team isn't as far away as most think.

There is a lot wrong. Young teams on the rise should not take a step backwards in development and results in the second year...there should be improvement

If Dan gets dumped at the end of this season and the Sabres are still a non-playoff team next season, Murray will get dumped, and the new GM will want to pick his own coach. The coaching carousel will continue.

I suspect DB stays and if next season starts poorly it will be both coach and GM that goes.

If Dan gets dumped at the end of this season and the Sabres are still a non-playoff team next season, Murray will get dumped, and the new GM will want to pick his own coach. The coaching carousel will continue.

I suspect DB stays and if next season starts poorly it will be both coach and GM that goes.

I agree completely with this take.

Why hasn't anybody brought up the possibility that with a revamped defense and improved bottom 6, this team takes a big step forward next season with Bylsma behind the bench.  

If that happens, which IMO is likely, what will all the Bylsma haters have to say?

Why hasn't anybody brought up the possibility that with a revamped defense and improved bottom 6, this team takes a big step forward next season with Bylsma behind the bench.

If that happens, which IMO is likely, what will all the Bylsma haters have to say?

Well, it won't happen. Because Dan Bylsma is crap.

And if DB stays and team misses playoffs, GMTM still gets dumped.

So, where are the odds to make the playoffs better, with DB or with new HC ?

I'm with Randall. This makes perfect sense.

There are too many indicators that there are fractures between the players and the coach. At this point and time, the front office has to do what's best for the players. Most would agree that Eichel is the future of the Sabres. Almost none would agree that Bylsma is the future of the team (aside from the BN staff).

As for Murray, his most imprtant job right now is rapid talent acquisition, he's has success adding 5 top 6 forwards in 3 years. There's more work to be done, but he gets at least another year based upon his work so far.

People have brought it up, a lot. And I'll say the same thing again, we still wouldn't make it past 2nd round, or more likely the first

If we can Byslma, and still don't make the playoffs and can Murray who in turn brings in his own coach, well we're . But if we keep Byslma, routinely fail for 3 years, like he did in Pitt, then can them both and start again, well we're , but just at a later date and with our player's prime ruined, like he did in Pittsburgh. Get your over with I say

For this to happen our possession stats will need to jump huge amounts. If this does happen, I, a Bylsma hater, will say "Wow, Disco proved me wrong and actually did discard his garbage system, and showed for the first time in his coaching career that he can learn and adapt. Good work."

I could certainly see it playing out this way, and it makes some sense from ownership to actually do it this way. I'm just not sure Murray's on such a short leash.

Frankly, if Murray's on that short of a leash, I'd rather the Pegulas just cut ties now. A lot of important decisions have to made, and to entrust them to a guy who has 20 games to prove himself...

For this to happen our possession stats will need to jump huge amounts. If this does happen, I, a Bylsma hater, will say "Wow, Disco proved me wrong and actually did discard his garbage system, and showed for the first time in his coaching career that he can learn and adapt. Good work."

I'll physically eat my sock

Well, for starters, this thread is for predicting whether or not Bylsma will be fired before next season even begins, not arguing the merits of it happening or not happening ;)

What if the Bills had fired Levy after the bickering Bills debacle?   

You think Colorado regrets firing Quenneville?

Seriously, less than two seasons removed from fielding the worst team in NHL history and it's the coaches fault they're not in the playoffs?    

Nothing's wrong, they are who we thought they were.   A team with some young guns figuring out how to play consistent hockey, and some aging slow vets on the tail end of horrendous contracts who will be gone soon.    This team isn't as far away as most think.

Kind of agree except Bylsma is no Quenneville.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.