GDT:Rangers at Sabres 7:30 PM EST 2/2/2017 NBCSN

The Dominator

(ESPN) BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The New York Rangers and Buffalo Sabres are both looking to get back on track following particularly disappointing outings on Tuesday night.

On Thursday, the teams will meet at 7:30 p.m. in Buffalo in a nationally televised game.

The Sabres (20-20-9) went into the All-Star break in the midst of one of their best stretches of the season. Following three straight overtime wins and a hard-luck 4-3 loss to the Dallas Stars -- in which the Sabres saw two potential third-period goals disallowed in controversial fashion -- the Sabres were thinking they were well on their way toward a late-season playoff push.

Buffalo's first game out of the All-Star break, however, carried none of that momentum forward. The Sabres fell to Montreal 5-2 in a defeat that saw the Canadiens jump out to a 5-0 lead before surrendering two goals late in the third period to avoid the shutout. Max Pacioretty had a hat trick for Montreal.

"It's one game," Sabres center Jack Eichel said, according to the team's website. "It's a tough one but what are you going to do about it now? We ... play another game on Thursday so I think we put it behind us. We obviously know we didn't play well. I think it'll be important for us to go back to the drawing board, forget about this one, put it behind us. We know the way we have to play as a team to be successful."

Dmitry Kulikov and Brian Gionta scored for Buffalo.

"It wasn't as if it was 19 chances to zero," Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma said via the team's website. "We had plenty of opportunities, but we played into their speed game. They played a fast game, we handed them the puck and they capitalized on a lot of the chances they had."

The Rangers (31-18-1), meanwhile, can draw some inspiration from their attempted comeback against Columbus on Tuesday night. Like the Sabres, however, they fell into big hole that was ultimately too much to overcome.

New York was facing a 6-0 deficit after surrendering four goals in the second period but did score four goals in the third in the 6-4 loss.

"We have to understand it's such a big learning moment for us," Rangers center Derek Stepan told the team's website. "Teams are just too good to take a 10-minute stretch like that. You're going to get killed every time. We've got to stop doing that ... They made us pay in that 10 minutes."

Stepan is tied for the team lead in points with 38 (12 goals, 26 assists) alongside Mats Zuccarello (9 goals, 29 assists).

Thursday will be the third and final game between the two teams this season. Despite the difference in the standings, the Sabres won each of the previous two meetings. Buffalo picked up a 4-3 home win against New York on Dec. 1 and a 4-1 road win to open up the new year on Jan. 3.

Edited by spndnchz

Let's see if the Sabres can improve on that abomination the other night.

The Rangers have had a bit of a schizophrenic 2017 so far.

They started by losing to the Sabres in NYC, then won 2, lost 3, won 3, and have lost their last 2.

They are 2nd in the NHL in scoring, 13th in defense, 14th in PP, 15th in PK.

It's an NBCSN game, so no RJ.

Also -- if someone wants to post the line combos from dailiyfaceoff.com, please do so -- I can't seem to figure out how to do so.

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/32/new-york-rangers

Game on!

Let's see if the Sabres can improve on that abomination the other night.

The Rangers have had a bit of a schizophrenic 2017 so far.

They started by losing to the Sabres in NYC, then won 2, lost 3, won 3, and have lost their last 2.

They are 2nd in the NHL in scoring, 13th in defense, 14th in PP, 15th in PK.

It's an NBCSN game, so no RJ.

Also -- if someone wants to post the line combos from dailiyfaceoff.com, please do so -- I can't seem to figure out how to do so.

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/32/new-york-rangers

Game on!

RJ is on vacation until March. We're stuck with DD for the next month.

Hopefully Bogo can improve on his -5 game 

LOL - it's hard to imagine he could repeat such an awful performance. He can ONLY improve - I hope. 

Lehner in net

Does he surrender 2 goals or 3?  Or more?    He's only had one 1-goal game since November, I believe.  And shutouts?  Fuggedaboutit.  

Carrier and Ennis will take draws, Eichel and ROR will be on for defensive zone starts when possible.

DD on trying DLo at center for the first time The Sabres have practiced with him at center before, & Bylsma cited his history as a D-man as translating to him being comfortable down low.

Sigh

Not be a debbie downer but at least a link is needed. (Link)

Nah, plagiarism is all the rage these days.

I put (ESPN) in front of the story. Didn't claim it to be my work, although a link would have been more effective than simply writing the name of the source I found it on. Oh well.

I'll watch, but have low expectations.

Lehner's rebound control has got to be the worst I've ever seen at the NHL level.

The 4th line should only play one shift a period at most.

Ennis still looks concussed.

Foligno has disappeared.  1 point and a -6 in his last 10.   0 points in his last 9 games.

Risto, 1 point in his last 9 games.   

For whatever reason, O'Reilly's production has dropped... 0 points, total of 4 SOG the last 3 games.

Put Kane and Gionta with Eichel on the top line.   Reinhart, O'Reilly, Okposo on the second line.   

I'll watch, but have low expectations.

Lehner's rebound control has got to be the worst I've ever seen at the NHL level.

The 4th line should only play one shift a period at most.

Ennis still looks concussed.

Foligno has disappeared.  1 point and a -6 in his last 10.   0 points in his last 9 games.

Risto, 1 point in his last 9 games.   

For whatever reason, O'Reilly's production has dropped... 0 points, total of 4 SOG the last 3 games.

The phrase "firing on all cylinders" comes to mind.  When you say that, it doesn't mean everyone is scoring every game, but rather each is pitching in regularly so the overall performance of the team and be consistently good.  Right now, about the only cylinders firing are Gionta and maybe Kane.  Time for the rest to step it up.

Pull within 5 of 8th with a win (and games in hand), closer to securing that top 3 pick with a loss.......which way will they go?

Just when you think this team is out they'll put together a few wins to stay in it, only to lose a few to stay not so in it. Based on recent history I'm expecting a win here. Looking ahead at the schedule for the month...we have 9 out of 13 games against the West (who we've played well against). My bold prediction is by the end of the month we'll still be ~5 points back.

I'd like to see Hank pulled, again. Let's do it boys! I'm also hungry to see a hat trick from any one on this team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.