The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

On 5/16/2023 at 2:05 PM, ubkev said:

If you work out barefoot in a public gym I should be legally allowed to fight you. 

Bunch of *****in animals. 

Who does THAT?!  I won't even hit the showers without wearing slides.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Who does THAT?!  I won't even hit the showers without wearing slides.

Morons. That's who. People that think Liver King and Andrew Huberman are a personality type. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Morons. That's who. People that think Liver King and Andrew Huberman are a personality type. 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I don't know what those are and I think I'm going to keep it that way.

Just imagine if steroids gained sentience and put on a human suit.  

• Agree 1

How many times should you be able to call-in sick to work before you get fired?

I'm not talking cancer sick. That is what FMLA protection is for. I'm talking "got a case of the ***** It's, and I'm not going in today."

It's a small debate we're having at work right now. 

10 minutes ago, ubkev said:

How many times should you be able to call-in sick to work before you get fired?

I'm not talking cancer sick. That is what FMLA protection is for. I'm talking "got a case of the ***** It's, and I'm not going in today."

It's a small debate we're having at work right now. 

3 strikes? 

13 hours ago, ubkev said:
14 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

3 strikes? 

We do 10ish. Slightly more if you know how to work the system. 

Yeah, 3 strikes could be legit caught something and it doesn't want to go away.  Especially with Covid, if you're not sure, stay home.

Where I work the policy at one time was that there wasn't a published amount allowed for sick time/personal time.  One year, my wife needed surgery, which I cleared with my boss ahead of time, plus I got legit sick (flu) twice in the same year.  I took 80 hours of time.  The next year during my annual appraisal, my boss noted it.  I told him the two illnesses had doctor's notes and the other was cleared with him ahead of time.  He said that's fine, but don't think you can do that every year.  You might not get fired for it, but if there are layoffs it could be a possible discriminator.

Now they say it's just straight 40 hours, no questions asked.  Most people don't use it.  I nibble it a bit but didn't use most of it last year.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, 3 strikes could be legit caught something and it doesn't want to go away.  Especially with Covid, if you're not sure, stay home.

Where I work the policy at one time was that there wasn't a published amount allowed for sick time/personal time.  One year, my wife needed surgery, which I cleared with my boss ahead of time, plus I got legit sick (flu) twice in the same year.  I took 80 hours of time.  The next year during my annual appraisal, my boss noted it.  I told him the two illnesses had doctor's notes and the other was cleared with him ahead of time.  He said that's fine, but don't think you can do that every year.  You might not get fired for it, but if there are layoffs it could be a possible discriminator.

Now they say it's just straight 40 hours, no questions asked.  Most people don't use it.  I nibble it a bit but didn't use most of it last year.

It's hard for me as I've worked in Healthcare for so long. I also work as a 1099, so I don't get time off/sick time /vacation time, etc. If I show up I get paid, if I miss time, I don't make a penny. So I've definitely worked through things that I would have loved to called in for. I wouldn't even know a good answer to that question. Generally speaking, I find work ethic has declined quite a bit in the recent years, for better or worse. 

14 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I find work ethic has declined quite a bit in the recent years, for better or worse. 

I would say the pandemic affected how people think about work.  People will work fine, but the pandemic opened a lot of eyes in terms of who really makes a lot of industries run and how little they get paid.  When you realize how much money Elon Musk or Uncle Starbuck are making from your efforts, compared to what you yourself make, it affects how one thinks and talks about work.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I would say the pandemic affected how people think about work.  People will work fine, but the pandemic opened a lot of eyes in terms of who really makes a lot of industries run and how little they get paid.  When you realize how much money Elon Musk or Uncle Starbuck are making from your efforts, compared to what you yourself make, it affects how one thinks and talks about work.

I make a pretty good living and I still realize how much money insurance companies and the administrators are making off of me. It's infuriating. So I'm not fully against some of this shift in thinking since Covid. But like many things, it's seems to have swung too far in the opposite direction. There's wanting fair pay and balancing work/life, then there's having a terrible time staffing almost anywhere. 

It's tough, inflation is up, cost of doing business is up, recouping losses from Covid has to be awful for some business owners. 

I can't stand when people come to work sick, or not fully recovered. Obviously there are some jobs that are vital for society where this is sometimes necessary, but at least where I work there will be no measurable difference in company output by staying home until you aren't contagious, and that's before considering work efficiency when you feel like *****, the domino effect of making other employees sick etc. 

I often scoff when people say "come on, it's [current year]" but, really, it is 2023, we know germ theory, many of us have mostly fake desk jobs anyway, just stay home til you're better, let your employees do this without stigma or retaliation

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

No way man.  My neighbor did that once.  Now he's on The List.

Go with the Captain Morgan pose in front of a large industrial fan.  You can't lose.

edit: Unless you get a little too close to the fan

Edited by shrader
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I can't stand when people come to work sick, or not fully recovered. Obviously there are some jobs that are vital for society where this is sometimes necessary, but at least where I work there will be no measurable difference in company output by staying home until you aren't contagious, and that's before considering work efficiency when you feel like *****, the domino effect of making other employees sick etc. 

I often scoff when people say "come on, it's [current year]" but, really, it is 2023, we know germ theory, many of us have mostly fake desk jobs anyway, just stay home til you're better, let your employees do this without stigma or retaliation

Really need to discuss this sort of stuff with the boss when you're feeling fine to fully understand not just the company's policies but also his/her philosophy on sick day usage.  Because, if you have a boss that wants you in at work every day you aren't dead or on vacation you will set yourself up for poor reviews by taking a couple of days off here or there.  Conversely, if your boss WILL take it out on you for being the (perceived) reason he/she got sick, try to work from home when the allergies heat up (many hypochondriacs can't discern between hayfever & Covid) or you will set yourself up for poor reviews by NOT taking sick days.

And if the boss changes, have the same discussion w/ the new one.  Because the new one might not agree with the old one's policy.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Really need to discuss this sort of stuff with the boss when you're feeling fine to fully understand not just the company's policies but also his/her philosophy on sick day usage.  Because, if you have a boss that wants you in at work every day you aren't dead or on vacation you will set yourself up for poor reviews by taking a couple of days off here or there.  Conversely, if your boss WILL take it out on you for being the (perceived) reason he/she got sick, try to work from home when the allergies heat up (many hypochondriacs can't discern between hayfever & Covid) or you will set yourself up for poor reviews by NOT taking sick days.

And if the boss changes, have the same discussion w/ the new one.  Because the new one might not agree with the old one's policy.

I had a guy get hired 11 months ago. In those 11 months, he quarantined with COVID symptoms 7 separate times for a grand total of 24 days. No positive COVID tests, just called in with "symptoms" and never went and got tested so he could skip 5 days of work (it was a bad company policy.) After that, he managed to accumulate 11 additional call-ins. 

So to recap, this guy is part time, is scheduled between 3 and 4 days per week, has been at said job for 11 months, and has managed to take 35 sick days(24 of which didn't count against him because of bad policy.) 

That's a touch excessive, right?

• Agree 1