The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

On 4/21/2023 at 5:46 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I love my home and it'll always be my first, but the HOA was stupid and it just needed so much work to do more than typical house stuff. 

The HOA comment brought back some bad memories although they were just from 2 weeks ago.

We visited my laws in Florida and my wife's father was talking about what happens to the house that he lives in when he passes along. It looks like hes leaving it to us but he really really is putting the full court press on having us leave Western New York and move back to Florida because he doesn't understand why we want to live here when Florida is such a wonderful place.

The thing is, their HOA doesn't do anything except for cut the lawn. They obviously don't plow in the Winter, they don't provide any other services, they don't even trim hedges or anything but it's almost $300 a month for an HOA fee. The HOA board walks around the community together every 2 weeks with a list of who they want to find for even the smallest things, a little bit mold on your roof? Fine. Not taking care of your trees or your shrubs? That's a fine. If the paint on your mailbox is fading you get one warning and if you don't take care of it within a couple of weeks, you get fined for that also.

When he moved there a little more than 10 years ago, his property taxes were a bit over $3000yr. Last year he paid almost $9000, and homeowners insurance 10 years ago was about $1200 a month and now hes up closing in on to 6000/year.

There's a variety of reasons we wouldn't move down there, but after he showed us the bills and talked about it, Florida's actually gone from a cheaper place to live to very expensive, at least in the community where he is.

Edited by mjd1001

33 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

They obviously don't plow in the Winter, they don't provide any other services, they don't even trim hedges or anything but it's almost $300 a month for an HOA fee.

Community pool / tennis courts / etc.?

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

The HOA comment brought back some bad memories although they were just from 2 weeks ago.

We visited my laws in Florida and my wife's father was talking about what happens to the house that he lives in when he passes along. It looks like hes leaving it to us but he really really is putting the full court press on having us leave Western New York and move back to Florida because he doesn't understand why we want to live here when Florida is such a wonderful place.

The thing is, their HOA doesn't do anything except for cut the lawn. They obviously don't plow in the Winter, they don't provide any other services, they don't even trim hedges or anything but it's almost $300 a month for an HOA fee. The HOA board walks around the community together every 2 weeks with a list of who they want to find for even the smallest things, a little bit mold on your roof? Fine. Not taking care of your trees or your shrubs? That's a fine. If the paint on your mailbox is fading you get one warning and if you don't take care of it within a couple of weeks, you get fined for that also.

When he moved there a little more than 10 years ago, his property taxes were a bit over $3000yr. Last year he paid almost $9000, and homeowners insurance 10 years ago was about $1200 a month and now hes up closing in on to 6000/year.

There's a variety of reasons we wouldn't move down there, but after he showed us the bills and talked about it, Florida's actually gone from a cheaper place to live to very expensive, at least in the community where he is.

That's terrible, mine is only 700$ a year and there is a community pool which is nice, but just the hassle of everything, it's too much and not my style. Also, I feel like living in that area is a tiny cult, like something Stephen King would write about😂 some people really love that life, I am not one of those people. I didn't realize there was an HOA until I was signing the paperwork at City hall, by then it was too late.

An HOA is an absolute no on any property I will ever own. I'm not sure I've ever heard a positive story about one. I suppose if its making others keep up their homes that COULD be a positive.

Of course, I prefer to live in areas that are sparsely populated and those who do live in the area are likely to have a high pride value in their property such that it will not be in decline.

I don't even want someone cutting my lawn... damn.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok so here's what you do about the old man. Lie. Just lie. "Oh we love it here too!" "This place is heaven on earth!" "Alligators, rain everyday and nosy geriatrics, what's not to love?!"

My parents love Florida too. They drive their golf carts everywhere, party like it's spring break for 6 months, then they head home to NY for the summer. I make a trip down there every year, but Florida is not for me. 

He just wants his retirement choice validated. And if it's right for him and he loves it, great. But you don't have to do it too. It's easy to lie to dead people. They never find out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

An HOA is an absolute no on any property I will ever own. I'm not sure I've ever heard a positive story about one. I suppose if its making others keep up their homes that COULD be a positive.

Of course, I prefer to live in areas that are sparsely populated and those who do live in the area are likely to have a high pride value in their property such that it will not be in decline.

I don't even want someone cutting my lawn... damn.

One home, one HOA, it was really a non-issue the 13 years I lived there. Less than $100/mo, just kept up the common area lawns, made people didn't trash the place, and a soccer field over at the end of the development. I consider myself kinda lucky on that part.

I don't agree about the "sparsely populated == high pride" though. As soon as you get maybe 10 miles outside Ithaca it's New Yortucky. Yards full of junk and trash every 5-6 houses it seems. Always nervous riding my bike past because those are the AH that have loose dogs and whatnot too.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I don't agree about the "sparsely populated == high pride" though. As soon as you get maybe 10 miles outside Ithaca it's New Yortucky. Yards full of junk and trash every 5-6 houses it seems. Always nervous riding my bike past because those are the AH that have loose dogs and whatnot too.

100% agreed.  Maybe the sparser populated areas of Monroe Co are less likely to have trash neighbors, but my experience in less sparsely populated areas is that level of pride in your property is quite diverse.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I was just going to say this. 

As far as keeping up homes/yards, my neighborhood was built in the 1950s.  Most homes are well kept up, but maybe 10% have visible signs of needing maintenance like peeling paint or cracked driveways.  At any given time, 10-20% of the yards could use a good mowing.  But you know what?  I don't really care.  My neighbors across the street (the house directly across and the one next to it) mow their lawns about once a month.... ish.  Okay.  That's fine.  The guy behind me is even worse.  Until rats start coming over from his yard into mine I don't really care.  I've talked to him a few times, nice enough guy, keeps to himself except when his second hand herb smell wafts into my yard (which doesn't bother me really).

I'd rather have a comfortable neighborhood than a pristine one.

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

One home, one HOA, it was really a non-issue the 13 years I lived there. Less than $100/mo, just kept up the common area lawns, made people didn't trash the place, and a soccer field over at the end of the development. I consider myself kinda lucky on that part.

Yeah.. i'm not saying that's a given.  I'm all too familiar with the opposite direction.  I was just saying that I live in a sparsely populated area there there is a lot of pride in the property. 

3 hours ago, Weave said:

100% agreed.  Maybe the sparser populated areas of Monroe Co are less likely to have trash neighbors, but my experience in less sparsely populated areas is that level of pride in your property is quite diverse.

Yeah.. very common.  Hell, in HFL there's a house right on main street that would be really nice.. except for the front yard parking lot dominated by a truck with what seems like a 4 foot lift kit.  4 cars on the lawn, 0 in the driveway.. all the time.

34 minutes ago, LTS said:

Yeah.. i'm not saying that's a given.  I'm all too familiar with the opposite direction.  I was just saying that I live in a sparsely populated area there there is a lot of pride in the property. 

Yeah.. very common.  Hell, in HFL there's a house right on main street that would be really nice.. except for the front yard parking lot dominated by a truck with what seems like a 4 foot lift kit.  4 cars on the lawn, 0 in the driveway.. all the time.

I resisted the urge to state that Mendon is not representative of sparsely populated areas.

I guess I didn’t resist that much, lol.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I resisted the urge to state that Mendon is not representative of sparsely populated areas.

I guess I didn’t resist that much, lol.

I suppose.  There are 22 homes on my street of 1.5 miles.  Certainly not rural although there are multiple lots that are 40+ acres on my street. It's definitely not densely populated.  I also like having an actual gas line, although when the house was originally built in 1987 there were no gas lines on the street. All septic in this area as well.

I'm not in the Pittsford area of Mendon. 🙂

11 hours ago, LTS said:

I suppose.  There are 22 homes on my street of 1.5 miles.  Certainly not rural although there are multiple lots that are 40+ acres on my street. It's definitely not densely populated.  I also like having an actual gas line, although when the house was originally built in 1987 there were no gas lines on the street. All septic in this area as well.

I'm not in the Pittsford area of Mendon. 🙂

There's a band around populated areas where this rings true. There's development suburbs, the 0.5-2 acre suburbs, big lot suburbs (like you're describing), and then after that all bets are off. 🙂

15 hours ago, sabremike said:

The hesitation to save her really says a lot about the health of their relationship.

On the subject of HOAs, I didn't mind my HOA at my home in California. The fee was $119 a month and the HOA paid for armed security at the gate and covered the pool/common areas/park maintenance. They also resurfaced the roads and maintained the trees along the sidewalks. Not sure they ever ticketed anyone for not following the rules. I do know they sent an angry email once about the hours you were allowed to have your trash by the curb, but that was it. And, before anyone asks, the home is worth ~$850,000 today in San Diego. For those of you not familiar with SD housing, that's on the cheap side. I'm not a millionaire. No idea why we had armed security at the gate. It was just a thing.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, RochesterExpat said:

The hesitation to save her really says a lot about the health of their relationship.

Eh, I can excuse someone hesitating when going up against an 500-pound cat with proportional claws and teeth.

I asked my wife when we will stop using months when we say our son’s age. She said never. So this made me do the math in my head to show her that there’s clearly a line where you need to stop with months. I realized that I just turned 500 months. 

so yeah, I don’t know where that line is, but I’m way past it.