The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Had a quick question.

Not sure what type of electrical components you're looking for, but if they are AV related check out www.monoprice.com.  They had a good selection & good prices ~5 years ago.  No idea if they still do, but they did.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not sure what type of electrical components you're looking for, but if they are AV related check out www.monoprice.com.  They had a good selection & good prices ~5 years ago.  No idea if they still do, but they did.

I mean stuff like capacitors, resistors, and diodes, not an HDMI to RCA convertor.

I miss RadioShack.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I mean stuff like capacitors, resistors, and diodes, not an HDMI to RCA convertor.

I miss RadioShack.

Yep.

No idea where to go for stuff like that nowadays.  Best guess to find that out would be to ask an independent electrician where he orders parts.

36 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm debating about going for my pilots license, once I am out of some of this debt, I may try for it. Even for a private, non commercial It could be valuable to rent a plane for a week and do some regional trips 

I was doing a screening recently for a new life insurance policy. I’m the middle of a long series of heath questions, they asked me if I was training to be a pilot. I just hope they don’t find out about my side gig in the coal mine juggling dynamite. 

23 minutes ago, shrader said:

I was doing a screening recently for a new life insurance policy. I’m the middle of a long series of heath questions, they asked me if I was training to be a pilot. I just hope they don’t find out about my side gig in the coal mine juggling dynamite. 

I got life insurance a wile ago and they asked the most ridiculous things. They have a formula to predict the day of death of each member, they're ridiculously accurate all things considered. One company would not insure me because I wrote myself a prescription for an antibiotic years ago 😂🤣 

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

I miss RadioShack.

I know you are probably talking about PCB capacitors, but.......I just bought a replacement capacitor for my AC unit from Amazon.

At Home Depot I asked the old guy in the electric department if they sold anything like that.  He said no, in 24 years there he thought I was the first person ever looking for one.  Said he didn’t think any local stores would have it.  I thought that was pretty weird.  They go bad pretty regularly on central AC units, 4-5 years, and they are super easy to replace.  I only zapped myself once.

Anyway, it did the trick and my AC is back up and running tonight after being out for a couple days.  That qualifies as awesome in my book.

EDIT:  I just realized that this is the random thread, not the awesome thread.  Did I mention that I zapped myself once today, lol.

Edited by Curt

7 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I got life insurance a wile ago and they asked the most ridiculous things. They have a formula to predict the day of death of each member, they're ridiculously accurate all things considered. One company would not insure me because I wrote myself a prescription for an antibiotic years ago 😂🤣 

Oh my, THATS why they wouldn’t insure you???  Of all things

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The myriad of Sabres themed PEZ dispensers filled with self-prescribed oxy had NOTHING to do with it.  😉

The Pez dispenser doesn't like circular tablets. You have better luck with Vicodin. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I know you are probably talking about PCB capacitors, but.......I just bought a replacement capacitor for my AC unit from Amazon.

At Home Depot I asked the old guy in the electric department if they sold anything like that.  He said no, in 24 years there he thought I was the first person ever looking for one.  Said he didn’t think any local stores would have it.  I thought that was pretty weird.  They go bad pretty regularly on central AC units, 4-5 years, and they are super easy to replace.  I only zapped myself once.

Anyway, it did the trick and my AC is back up and running tonight after being out for a couple days.  That qualifies as awesome in my book.

EDIT:  I just realized that this is the random thread, not the awesome thread.  Did I mention that I zapped myself once today, lol.

Yep. It's sucks. Everything is disposable now. It's one of the reasons I hate active speakers. I can always throw a new or different amp on a set of passive speakers.

And we're at the age now where the caps in all of these first generation active monitors are going to start drying up. Instead of just buying a $.89 part and fixing them, I have to chuck it right in the garbage patch and spend a ***** ton on some sterile chip amplified newer speaker.

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

I miss RadioShack.

If you were in Buffalo, you could check out Radio Equipment Corp on Vulcan. We used to drive up there in college to pick up supplies for my EE courses. I looked, I don't think they even have a website any more.

Edit: this place has a similar vibe, not sure where in North Jersey you are https://www.greenbrookelectronics.com/

46 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yep. It's sucks. Everything is disposable now. It's one of the reasons I hate active speakers. I can always throw a new or different amp on a set of passive speakers.

And we're at the age now where the caps in all of these first generation active monitors are going to start drying up. Instead of just buying a $.89 part and fixing them, I have to chuck it right in the garbage patch and spend a ***** ton on some sterile chip amplified newer speaker.

Active speakers can probably be made passive with a soldering iron and some terminals. 🙂

Edited by MattPie

5 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I feel like you know this subject too well..... 

Also I have the Eichel Pez dispenser, the neck is broken so it pops out 3-4 norcos per pull 

I used to collect Pez dispensers as a kid. They won't spit out Skittles or M&Ms. But they will spit out tic-tacs. 😛

Edited by ubkev

8 hours ago, MattPie said:

If you were in Buffalo, you could check out Radio Equipment Corp on Vulcan. We used to drive up there in college to pick up supplies for my EE courses. I looked, I don't think they even have a website any more.

Edit: this place has a similar vibe, not sure where in North Jersey you are https://www.greenbrookelectronics.com/

Active speakers can probably be made passive with a soldering iron and some terminals. 🙂

Unfortunately, it’s not quite that simple. Not if you want them to sound good, anyway.

38 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I assume the new style is to build an EQ into the active part to make up for the deficiencies of the cabinet design?

The crossover is before the amp. It’s more efficient because each driver (woofer, tweeter) has it’s own power amp and you are only amplifying the frequencies that you want to hear.

27 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The crossover is before the amp. It’s more efficient because each driver (woofer, tweeter) has it’s own power amp and you are only amplifying the frequencies that you want to hear.

Is Hutchins still a thing?  Decades ago I bought crossover materials from them.

edit- apparently not.  No evidence of their existence on pgs 1 and 2 of a google search.

Edited by Weave

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I would have rather spent $10 on the one I need rather than $5 on all these.

https://a.co/d/bvAwPRR

https://www.radioshack.com/search?type=product&options[unavailable_products]=last&options[prefix]=none&q=capacitor*

Is it one of these?  EDIT:  Wow, they are sold out of a lot of different capacitors!

Edited by Eleven

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, Covid in our household. My wife said her allergies were kicking up because of all the ragweed in the air. I suggested she test and she was sure it was just allergies. Then this evening she started coughing so she tested and, she's positive. It says it might take up to 15 minutes but it tested positive instantly.

I took a test and I'm negative.