The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

57 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Sometime when I'm on a bike that accelerates the speed of a rocketship, it's hard not to have some fun with it, and that ticks people off. 

It's not that you're having fun that ticks people off.  It's that you're accelerating like a rocketship while splitting lanes on the expressway.  The rest of us are just trying to get from A to B without killing anyone, and you have to add a level of difficulty to that.

39 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's not that you're having fun that ticks people off.  It's that you're accelerating like a rocketship while splitting lanes on the expressway.  The rest of us are just trying to get from A to B without killing anyone, and you have to add a level of difficulty to that.

I typically avoid the expressway on the motorcycle, my bike is made for curvy backroads. 

I don't like those motorcyclists that do that stuff on the highway. 

Somehow, it's still acceptable in Europe though. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/30/2022 at 6:49 AM, Eleven said:

I genuinely don’t care if that person dies. It’s their choice.

We were coming back from the MoMA yesterday and I was just hoping for one of these guys to go up and over the barrier on the West Side Highway.

Am I a bad person?

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I genuinely don’t care if that person dies. It’s their choice.

We were coming back from the MoMA yesterday and I was just hoping for one of these guys to go up and over the barrier on the West Side Highway.

Am I a bad person?

Maybe a little, but I think you're not in the minority with that thinking. 

I don't like wreckless drivers in traffic, motorcycles, care, etc. One of the many perks of living in the country area 🙂 also where I like to let loose on the bike. If I eat it and have a bad outcome, so be it, my own damn fault. But when I'm in traffic, I'm a good boy 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Maybe a little, but I think you're not in the minority with that thinking. 

I don't like wreckless drivers in traffic, motorcycles, care, etc. One of the many perks of living in the country area 🙂 also where I like to let loose on the bike. If I eat it and have a bad outcome, so be it, my own damn fault. But when I'm in traffic, I'm a good boy 

Until a kid walks out into the road just before you reach that bend…..

Thats the problem with the line of thinking that I’m only putting myself at risk.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Until a kid walks out into the road just before you reach that bend…..

Thats the problem with the line of thinking that I’m only putting myself at risk.

I think people assume that everyone is oblivious to everything. I'm almost 40, my driving wreckless is a lot different than a 19 year old. I ride the same roads, I know all the bends, the Driveways, etc, I know when I'm safe to open it up (minus road grime, deer, wildlife, etc) if I'm in a new place then I am within reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I think people assume that everyone is oblivious to everything. I'm almost 40, my driving wreckless is a lot different than a 19 year old. I ride the same roads, I know all the bends, the Driveways, etc, I know when I'm safe to open it up (minus road grime, deer, wildlife, etc) if I'm in a new place then I am within reason. 

It’s not oblivious.  It’s taking risks with the possibility that something happens that involves someone else doing something beyond your reaction time.

You have a very risk tolerant personality.  But when you are on a public road, rural or urban, it’s not just your risk.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

It’s not oblivious.  It’s taking risks with the possibility that something happens that involves someone else doing something beyond your reaction time.

You have a very risk tolerant personality.  But when you are on a public road, rural or urban, it’s not just your risk.

Fair enough, after seeing all the moto accidents at work, I probably should give it up, same with skiing. But chances are slim that I will 

On 7/30/2022 at 7:31 AM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I typically avoid the expressway on the motorcycle, my bike is made for curvy backroads. 

I don't like those motorcyclists that do that stuff on the highway. 

Somehow, it's still acceptable in Europe though. 

First bold: +1. I'd regularly travel on the bike 100s of miles in a day and only do like 25 miles of highway when I couldn't avoid it.

Second bold: Lane splitting is not what the jackwads on US highways are doing. In Europe and Asia they're doing it at low road and low closing speeds (like the cars are moving 10mph and they're moving 15mph). No one (except the jackwads) think blasting down an expressway at +30-40mph to traffic is a good idea. I never did any lane splitting on the bike, partly because I knew US drivers aren't very tolerant of it (stems from our whole "me first you last" mentality), partly because my BMW was on the wide side.

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

First bold: +1. I'd regularly travel on the bike 100s of miles in a day and only do like 25 miles of highway when I couldn't avoid it.

Second bold: Lane splitting is not what the jackwads on US highways are doing. In Europe and Asia they're doing it at low road and low closing speeds (like the cars are moving 10mph and they're moving 15mph). No one (except the jackwads) think blasting down an expressway at +30-40mph to traffic is a good idea. I never did any lane splitting on the bike, partly because I knew US drivers aren't very tolerant of it (stems from our whole "me first you last" mentality), partly because my BMW was on the wide side.

You're saying you have a fat @ss 😉

No I understand, our culture here is quite unique when speaking in generalities, people can suck everywhere, but you are spot on with the collective attitudes of Merica. 

I set up my Aprilia for handling over speed, it has both, but I sacradided some power to be able to lean into those S curves 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

You're saying you have a fat @ss 😉

No I understand, our culture here is quite unique when speaking in generalities, people can suck everywhere, but you are spot on with the collective attitudes of Merica. 

I set up my Aprilia for handling over speed, it has both, but I sacradided some power to be able to lean into those S curves 

1st: Maaaybbeeee. That bike was wide. I think it was something like 37-38 inches from cylinder-head to cylinder-head (BMW R1150R). I often had the BMW hard bags on it, which I think were even wider (but held plenty of stuff for 9-day camping trips).

3rd: I always liked Aprillas, cool stuff. The BMW certainly wasn't fast, but it would certainly corner past my risk-tolerance on the street. Even on track days I could hang in the corners; I remember one at Summit Point where the guys on fast bikes would fly away on the straights, but I'd reel them back in after a few corners and have to slow down. Never quite managed to pass them. 😞

On 7/31/2022 at 2:48 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Fair enough, after seeing all the moto accidents at work, I probably should give it up, same with skiing. But chances are slim that I will 

I routinely ski at speeds in excess of 70 mph. I will never give that up. Not ever! However, I have all but given up on the Big Air portion of my ski career. The body doesn't react well to falling out of the sky as well as it used to. If I'm being completely honest, I'm sure it doesn't react well to being dragged across the snow at highway speeds either, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

On 8/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, shrader said:

My 7 month old has hit the phase of constantly slapping everything.

1. It's such a fun phase, getting slapped in the face over and over.

2. Kid is definitely a south paw.

Congrats!!

I bet you and your wife are enjoying every slap happy moment.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
damn phone ... more goodly

18 hours ago, ubkev said:

madness

I remember way back then
When everything was true and when
We would have such a very good time
Such a fine time, such a happy time
And I remember how we'd play
Simply waste the day away
Then we'd say nothing would come between us
Two dreamers

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 hours ago, shrader said:

My 7 month old has hit the phase of constantly slapping everything.

1. It's such a fun phase, getting slapped in the face over and over.

2. Kid is definitely a south paw.

Teach him or her how to throw a straight. It's much more effective and satisfying.

14 hours ago, ubkev said:

Teach him or her how to throw a straight. It's much more effective and satisfying.

It's not all that satisfying for my face though.  All I know is that he's a lefty and a giant, so you better believe he'll be learning to throw a baseball as soon as possible.

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's not all that satisfying for my face though.  All I know is that he's a lefty and a giant, so you better believe he'll be learning to throw a baseball as soon as possible.

Forget that, teach him to shoot right and the Sabres RHD woes are over!