The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Adsorb vs. Absorb
Easily confused, these two processes are actually quite different. When a substance is absorbed, it is assimilated throughout the bulk of a substance. Think of your kitchen sponge at home. When you use it to clean up a spill, the liquid of the spill dissolves and disperses throughout the entirety of the sponge. After cleaning, the liquid can be washed out of the sponge. When a substance is absorbed, it adheres to the exterior of a surface. When VOCs and smoke molecules pass by activated carbon, they react and stick to the surface of the carbon, binding to it. This is why carbon is "activated" with oxygen, a process which creates millions of tiny pores and fissures throughout the carbon, giving the carbon much more surface area for chemicals to bind to.

Uh, not helping. I didn't even get to the third term: agsorb.

Um, writing absorbed for both, doesn't help much.

Absorbed (with a B) is the one where a substance penetrates into the substate.

Adsorbed (with a D) is the one where a substance sticks to the surface(s) of the substrate.  This is what activated carbon does to VOCs - it adsorbs them.

And how are they "easily confused."

?

I’ve been drinking since 11 am and I’m just now finally getting a buzz. Twisted teas?, Truly(citrus)?, beers?.....Naturdays?...sorry all you fans of it. I drank six or seven of them just to be sure....not for me?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ogre said:

I’ve been drinking since 11 am and I’m just now finally getting a buzz. Twisted teas?, Truly(citrus)?, beers?.....Naturdays?...sorry all you fans of it. I drank six or seven of them just to be sure....not for me?

I am seriously regretting capping the night off with moonshine 

On the plus side I uber'd everywhere I went last night because I'm not an idiot, so there's that

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I am seriously regretting capping the night off with moonshine 

On the plus side I uber'd everywhere I went last night because I'm not an idiot, so there's that

Are you kidding? That’s the BEST way to do it! The last time I got falling down drunk was by introducing moonshine to the top. It was a golf tourney and my wife kept coming down to the basement because I kept crashing into stuff. It was like 7:30 in the evening....I was so drunk that I couldn’t even spark up a joint.

• Haha (+1) 1

We're hosting my mom and my neighbor's mom for a 4th of July thing later today.  My town does their fireworks practically across the street from my house on the 5th each year.  Thanks to those particular guests, I may need to get fall down drunk.

Just now, shrader said:

We're hosting my mom and my neighbor's mom for a 4th of July thing later today.  My town does their fireworks practically across the street from my house on the 5th each year.  Thanks to those particular guests, I may need to get fall down drunk.

I'm in Buffalo this week, but I heard that some pretty nasty storms rolled through our area yesterday.  It looks like some of my neighbors had trees down and property damage.  Did you come through it ok?

2 hours ago, Claude_Verret said:

I'm in Buffalo this week, but I heard that some pretty nasty storms rolled through our area yesterday.  It looks like some of my neighbors had trees down and property damage.  Did you come through it ok?

We’re lucky, there aren’t very many trees since it’s a new neighborhood. The house across from us did lose their sidewalk tree though. I was out driving during that storm. It wasn’t fun. All the power was out by Walmart so that intersection was a nightmare. The combination of no traffic lights and zero visibility isn’t great. 

12 minutes ago, shrader said:

We’re lucky, there aren’t very many trees since it’s a new neighborhood. The house across from us did lose their sidewalk tree though. I was out driving during that storm. It wasn’t fun. All the power was out by Walmart so that intersection was a nightmare. The combination of no traffic lights and zero visibility isn’t great. 

Ugh that intersection is a nightmare in the best of conditions. 

Just had my heart attack for the year. I had a whole bunch of junk hauled away today, which was nice. Trouble was, I got to talking to my neighbors afterwards and I forgot to close and lock the back gate. Then I let the dogs out.....oh *****!

Long story short, one went down the street to help the neighbors tool away on their car. Got him quick. Couldn't find the other one, I'm freaking out. I go to close the back gate and who comes up to say hi? Yep, he never left the back yard. Ok, I need a beer. My heart is still racing.

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

Just had my heart attack for the year. I had a whole bunch of junk hauled away today, which was nice. Trouble was, I got to talking to my neighbors afterwards and I forgot to close and lock the back gate. Then I let the dogs out.....oh *****!

Long story short, one went down the street to help the neighbors tool away on their car. Got him quick. Couldn't find the other one, I'm freaking out. I go to close the back gate and who comes up to say hi? Yep, he never left the back yard. Ok, I need a beer. My heart is still racing.

I know that feeling..  A few years back we let our dog out in the back yard one morning and when we checked on him 10 minutes later he was nowhere to be found.  Looked in the back and found that overnight someone kicked our chain link fence in and there was a 4' gap in the fence.  Oh, snap!  We started to panic, and we heard our dog bark on the other side of the house.  He was standing in the driveway by the side door waiting to be let in.  He never left the property.  Went out through the hole in the fence, came around the front yard, and back up the driveway.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:42 PM, Weave said:

Oh, snap!  We started to panic, and we heard our dog bark on the other side of the house.  He was standing in the driveway by the side door waiting to be let in.  He never left the property.  Went out through the hole in the fence, came around the front yard, and back up the driveway.

We had something similar happen, only he found a way out:  Broke one of the pickets in the fence, dug the rest of the way out.  I came home from work and thought, wow, look at the size of that loose dog!  Then I realized it was Winston.  I guess he got out and couldn't figure out how to get back in so he just waited at the front door until we got home.  He's been an indoor dog ever since (and he's fine, never causes an issue, unless there is food anywhere within his reach, which is quite a bit longer than we sometimes realize).

It’s not Thursday, so this goes here.  I’ve been awake for 31 consecutive hours at this point, thanks to work and family requirements.  I have to be back to work in 10 hours.  There’s a dude who was supposed to have fixed my mother****ing a/c two hours ago puttering around my basement far longer than this should have taken, and I think I might just have to murder him if I’m to remain tired and hot for much longer... 

Bottom line: if you must live in the south: make sure you deal with HVAC professionals who know what the Christ they’re doing.  Evidently, even given the climate we live in, there are still incompetent bastards banging around our (okay my) basement far beyond what is reasonable.

But I still might have to cut him if he hasn’t figured it out by now.... Hold for results. 

3 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Bottom line: if you must live in the south: make sure you deal with HVAC professionals who know what the Christ they’re doing.  Evidently, even given the climate we live in, there are still incompetent bastards banging around our (okay my) basement far beyond what is reasonable.

But I still might have to cut him if he hasn’t figured it out by now.... Hold for results. 

It's the curse of a good economy; even the morons have jobs.

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

Update: just woke up not having realized I fell asleep on the couch.  HVAC dude left a note saying he couldn’t wake me and that the ac is working now.  Good.  Going to bed... 

Be sure to check in the mirror for any sharpie shenanigans.