The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, Sabel79 said:

I'll stop toying with you.  I'm a magistrate, which, in Virginia, is a weird and sometimes fun post.  Put it this way, I've spent more Christmases in jail than your average convicted felon. 

That's got to be incredibly interesting.  Do you run into a lot of SovCits there?

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But their videos on YouTube are so entertaining!  I could watch that stuff 8 hours a day.

It's less entertaining when you have them yelling about the UCC and admiralty flags while they're trying to get 1000 blank criminal complaints/warrants for what I am sure are perfectly sane and legitimate reasons.  

I do think I made one dude reconsider his life choices though, after he attempted to sign a permitted warrant "under duress" (in VA, some misdemeanor arrest warrants can be served as a summons at the discretion of the officer serving the paper).  The officer said "screw it" and hauled him in front of me in handcuffs.  After a few minutes of listening to him complain about his imaginary rights I committed him to jail until such time as he was willing to sign off on his bond correctly.  He lasted half an hour on principle, and was quite attentive as to where his signature was needed when he came out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

It's less entertaining when you have them yelling about the UCC and admiralty flags while they're trying to get 1000 blank criminal complaints/warrants for what I am sure are perfectly sane and legitimate reasons.  

I do think I made one dude reconsider his life choices though, after he attempted to sign a permitted warrant "under duress" (in VA, some misdemeanor arrest warrants can be served as a summons at the discretion of the officer serving the paper).  The officer said "screw it" and hauled him in front of me in handcuffs.  After a few minutes of listening to him complain about his imaginary rights I committed him to jail until such time as he was willing to sign off on his bond correctly.  He lasted half an hour on principle, and was quite attentive as to where his signature was needed when he came out. 

That's no good at all.  They need to issue you a taser.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

For those unfamiliar with SovCit tactics, please understand that this is the last four minutes of about an hour's worth of this guy.  This isn't police brutality.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

No--they're different.  And I don't know how new the word is; I know The Who were using it in the 60s. 

Anyway:  Buy a pair of pants and have them altered to fit you:  Tailored. 

Have a tailor measure you and then build a pair of pants:  Bespoke.

Which is why I think it would be difficult to tailor a pair of jeans, especially in the seat.

Hmmmm.

I agree that "bespoke" is as you define it.  I would also call that kind of suit "tailor-made."

But I'm not sure I would call an off-the-rack suit that is then altered to fit better a "tailored" suit.

Either way, based on my experience, the following are incontrovertible truths:

1.  Tailor-made/bespoke suits fit about a million times better than off-the-rack suits that are then altered.

2.  Indochino suits are not tailor-made or bespoke and do not fit any better than an off-the-rack suit that is then altered.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Hmmmm.

I agree that "bespoke" is as you define it.  I would also call that kind of suit "tailor-made."

But I'm not sure I would call an off-the-rack suit that is then altered to fit better a "tailored" suit.

Either way, based on my experience, the following are incontrovertible truths:

1.  Tailor-made/bespoke suits fit about a million times better than off-the-rack suits that are then altered.

2.  Indochino suits are not tailor-made or bespoke and do not fit any better than an off-the-rack suit that is then altered.

Indochino suits - "hey, order from us online. Take your own measurements, we're sure you won't screw it up. Oh, and be sure to get a gaudy looking liner in there. Think hideous paisley or some awful plaid." Thanks for shopping with indochino.

• Like (+1) 1

So, some even randomer thoughts for today ...

1.)  Nova Scotia has the nicest people you ever want to meet ...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/deer-rescue-ice-1.4977339

2.)  I generally agree with the policy of not negotiating with kidnappers.  Things are different when it's your own family, eh?

I expect that we will hear from Randall's captores any day now.  I say we give them whatever they want as ransom.

Seriously, has anyone heard from him?

3.)  My damn phone has been acting up off and on for a while now.  This morning it went through a boot - reboot - reboot cycle about 10 times.  When it finally stayed on I charged it up and am going to leave it on forever now.  I so am not interested in having to buy a new phone.  This one I got in November 2015.  The one before it was 15 years old.  I am so not a fancy phone guy, but have gotten accustomed to having that very powerful mini computer with me at all times.  About the only thing I can't do very easily is make, or receive, a phone call.

29 minutes ago, shrader said:

I saw a bumper sticker in the parking garage this morning that said "proud parent of <insert school name here> gatorrific".  I'm not quite sure the school fully thought out that slogan (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I have no idea what that means.

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Because of over-sensitivity with respect to one certain person, I am refraining from posting a link.  But you absolutely owe it to yourself to read the official Burger King twitter account today.

One certain person?  Do we have a militant vegan on the board?

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

Due to my refusal to visit twitter, I'm just going to go ahead and assume you don't want to offend our militant vegan.  I'm not naming names, but let's just call him/her "inkman".

It's a pretty funny feed. FWIW.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Well, I fly to Europe tomorrow (Greece and turkey), so that means the Sabres should start winning, you're welcome in advance ?

Greece and Turkey together, eh?

Awesome!!

Which ever country you go to first don't tell the other one that you were there when you get there.  Capeesh?

Bring me back a whole bunch of Turkish coffee, will you?  Don't tell the Greeks, though.  They will tell you they invented it.  They call it Greek coffee.  It is pretty much the exact same thing.