The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Had a CT scan Tuesday afternoon, get out of work yesteday to 4 voicemails from my doctor's office telling me to call back. Short version of the conversation, I need to have further testing done on my liver and prostate. Seeing as how I am not even 40, the issues with the latter has me frealking out a bit. though my doctor didn't utter the dreaded C----- word, the urgency in her voice to get me further testing has me concerned, trying to keep my head up, Sabres wins will help there haha If the worst news comes, I'll be ready to kick this in the teeth

1 minute ago, Marions Piazza said:

Had a CT scan Tuesday afternoon, get out of work yesteday to 4 voicemails from my doctor's office telling me to call back. Short version of the conversation, I need to have further testing done on my liver and prostate. Seeing as how I am not even 40, the issues with the latter has me frealking out a bit. though my doctor didn't utter the dreaded C----- word, the urgency in her voice to get me further testing has me concerned, trying to keep my head up, Sabres wins will help there haha If the worst news comes, I'll be ready to kick this in the teeth

Damn!!

Another dose of reality.  Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Marions Piazza said:

Much appreciated, back to you as well, i think i read the other day that you lost a long time friend?

Thank you.  Yes.  It has been some time, but still a big void.  The circumstances of his passing (while travelling) are making it difficult to come to grips with.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

Try not to be too neurotic. Docs sometimes order tests for CYA purposes. Cancer? Get outta here! Let us know what's going on.

4 hours ago, Marions Piazza said:

Wow.  Good luck with it.  Don't let the possibilities mess with your mind too much before you actually hear back from the Dr.

I love fires, and firewood, and the advanced stats of cordwood.

I just stacked what I'll call a "Jersey cord". No way it's 4x4x8. Whatever.

But I do like the ambiguity of what a cord actually is. The fact that it is only that amount of wood the first time it is stacked is kinda cool. It means that sometimes I'll get more, sometimes I'll get less, depending on how OCD the guy stacking it is.

Anyway, this fire and manhattan is glorious. Just thought I'd share.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I love fires, and firewood, and the advanced stats of cordwood.

I just stacked what I'll call a "Jersey cord". No way it's 4x4x8. Whatever.

But I do like the ambiguity of what a cord actually is. The fact that it is only that amount of wood the first time it is stacked is kinda cool. It means that sometimes I'll get more, sometimes I'll get less, depending on how OCD the guy stacking it is.

Anyway, this fire and manhattan is glorious. Just thought I'd share.

Do you believe in anthropomorphic global warming?

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I do,... and my fire has absolutely nothing to do with it.?

But it does.  You are intentionally increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere, which per doctrine increases global warming.  But go on believing if others change THEIR actions  the world will be a better place.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

But it does.  You are intentionally increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere, which per doctrine increases global warming.  But go on believing if others change THEIR actions  the world will be a better place.

Not sure where you are going with this. Did you also know I have Ford F-150 that last I checked got 14 miles per gallon?

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

If I want to make my living room (does not sit on a foundation) comfortable in the winter, I have two choices:  Use an electric space heater or build a fire.  I am asking you as an engineer, and I am asking sincerely, which is the better option environmentally? 

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If I want to make my living room (does not sit on a foundation) comfortable in the winter, I have two choices:  Use an electric space heater or build a fire.  I am asking you as an engineer, and I am asking sincerely, which is the better option environmentally? 

Considering the bulk of the electricity used in WNY is generated hydraulically, the space heater, though more expensive to run, is better environmentally.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Considering the bulk of the electricity used in WNY is generated hydraulically, the space heater, though more expensive to run, is better environmentally.

According to the EPA, the mix is approximately:

10% solar/wind

30% hydro

30% nuke

30% gas

There is small amount of coal.

https://oaspub.epa.gov/powpro/ept_pack.charts

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

You know exactly where this is going, but this is my last post on the subject.

87D29B6A-E1B6-4426-B383-1CFB9836BEEE.thumb.jpeg.7ed0de053c393af15b3a8b0b291855ed.jpeg

I call this picture, “The Fire That Warms Twice”.

Once right now when I’m within three feet of it. And again when it raises the global temp by one tenth of one trillionth of a degree Celsius.

I used to care about the environment, but Mother Earth gave me my kid. Payback’s a beotch.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 3

I got to work at noon yesterday, it's currently 445am the next day and I'm just now walking out, just to wake up and be back in just a few hours for another 12-14 hours. The ER had some bad trauma and I hung around to help out......so when I post cool pics of my travels, remember, I'm dying a slow death while in the US ???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 12/15/2018 at 12:27 AM, Taro T said:

I'll drop this right here.....

100 comapnies responsible for 71% of global emissions

So two of my friends unexpectedly gave me gifts today (which always makes me feel bad I didn't have something in return)... the one is a season ticket holder and got a random signed Sabres hat from Hockey Fights Cancer night. She gave it to me today and we figured out it's Conor Sheary! So now I have a Stanley Cup winner signed hat... just not as a Sabre. Yet. 

The other friend gave me a few things including a 2019 Sabres calendar... the funny part is it prominently features ROR on the cover... he's Mr. August in fact. Eichel's #15 too. Makes you realize how early they lay out things like that! 

• Like (+1) 1