The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, josie said:

Niice.

Yeah that's one of the big reasons I went after this gig. Just being an illustrator does not get you stable employment, and this only happened because a friend worked there and knew I was capable of learning more stuff quickly. But if that can be my special weapon in an otherwise useful arsenal, I'll have a better shot at those real jobs. 

I've been teaching myself basics, html, java, css, scss, a touch of python here and there on codecademy (I tried ruby and my brain just shut down) but it's pretty much worthless until I actually have to make a project happen. We're all Wordpress and I am virtually an infant in terms of knowing what to do there. Bootstrap, widgets, etc... noooo clue. Don't even know what I don't know. But that'll have to change! 

The trouble is the people who can really teach me/walk me through the setups in place here are all leaving... 

i have been around the block and in a few different industries and learning something new especially when it isn't on your own time is icing on the cake. 

a friend of mine is artistic like yourself, he got his degree in 3-D animation from Full Sail with the intention of being a video game designer, but, after graduation he realized that he'd need to be in cities like San Jose, San Fran, Seattle where the cost of living doesn't lineup with what they make, not to mention he was 31 when he finished his degree, an old timer in the video game world. like you said, it's who you know in a lot of circles, and fortunately i knew someone and he got an interview and now he works for the Air Force doing 3-D design in an intelligence setting, making products for the DoD and he absolutely loves it. Like you, he's been teaching himself python and a few other things as he goes.

side note-my friend decided to get into hockey and be a Sabre fan, we came up with an idea and he 3-D designed and printed it out with a 3-D printer and now we are doing the finishing touches of a Buffalo pooping on a Maple Leaf, we are considering doing a whole bunch and selling them, market is pretty small though haha

buffalo.jpg

Edited by Marions Piazza
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

i have been around the block and in a few different industries and learning something new especially when it isn't on your own time is icing on the cake. 

a friend of mine is artistic like yourself, he got his degree in 3-D animation from Full Sail with the intention of being a video game designer, but, after graduation he realized that he'd need to be in cities like San Jose, San Fran, Seattle where the cost of living doesn't lineup with what they make, not to mention he was 31 when he finished his degree, an old timer in the video game world. like you said, it's who you know in a lot of circles, and fortunately i knew someone and he got an interview and now he works for the Air Force doing 3-D design in an intelligence setting, making products for the DoD and he absolutely loves it. Like you, he's been teaching himself python and a few other things as he goes.

That's cool to hear! I did the video game design thing for awhile and while I really enjoyed the work I did, the culture was terrible, and like you said, to go that next level I'd have to move to a coastal city.. and that simply wasn't in the cards. The pros and cons would've been magnified and I was already miserable. Designing for the staffing industry now certainly isn't my ideal passion but it's a good learning curve. Who knows what's next. I'd like it to be sports, but again, the culture could be really tough to handle in a similar way. I'd be happiest doing solid design work/advertising but I just don't think I'm good enough for that stuff. 

5 minutes ago, josie said:

That's cool to hear! I did the video game design thing for awhile and while I really enjoyed the work I did, the culture was terrible, and like you said, to go that next level I'd have to move to a coastal city.. and that simply wasn't in the cards. The pros and cons would've been magnified and I was already miserable. Designing for the staffing industry now certainly isn't my ideal passion but it's a good learning curve. Who knows what's next. I'd like it to be sports, but again, the culture could be really tough to handle in a similar way. I'd be happiest doing solid design work/advertising but I just don't think I'm good enough for that stuff. 

well good luck in figuring out the next step in what line of work will make you happy. i am almost 40 and I finally found a career that i can be happy doing until i retire. sometimes it can take a while and it isn't always easy along the way, but, you'll get there.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

side note-my friend decided to get into hockey and be a Sabre fan, we came up with an idea and he 3-D designed and printed it out with a 3-D printer and now we are doing the finishing touches of a Buffalo pooping on a Maple Leaf, we are considering doing a whole bunch and selling them, market is pretty small though haha

buffalo.jpg

This is outstanding 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

This is outstanding 

my friend thinks it could be better even though i told him it rocks. he wants to change it up a little and maybe add some crossed sabres on the body of the Buffalo and some bigger horns. 

we are probably coming to Buffalo for the Red Wings game in February and want to bring it and see if we can get it autographed by some players, i think getting a laugh out of the guys seeing it would be good enough

2 hours ago, josie said:

Niice.

Yeah that's one of the big reasons I went after this gig. Just being an illustrator does not get you stable employment, and this only happened because a friend worked there and knew I was capable of learning more stuff quickly. But if that can be my special weapon in an otherwise useful arsenal, I'll have a better shot at those real jobs. 

I've been teaching myself basics, html, java, css, scss, a touch of python here and there on codecademy (I tried ruby and my brain just shut down) but it's pretty much worthless until I actually have to make a project happen. We're all Wordpress and I am virtually an infant in terms of knowing what to do there. Bootstrap, widgets, etc... noooo clue. Don't even know what I don't know. But that'll have to change! 

The trouble is the people who can really teach me/walk me through the setups in place here are all leaving... 

Have you looked into Coursera at all?  Lots of good stuff there at varying price ranges (mostly a monthly subscription model and you work at your own pace from what I've seen so far).  I tried Codecademy but their Python intro course has so many bugs I got frustrated with it after a while.

10 minutes ago, biodork said:

Have you looked into Coursera at all?  Lots of good stuff there at varying price ranges (mostly a monthly subscription model and you work at your own pace from what I've seen so far).  I tried Codecademy but their Python intro course has so many bugs I got frustrated with it after a while.

I'll take a look! So far I've only been made aware of Udemy, Codecademy, and Treehouse. 

12 minutes ago, josie said:

I'll take a look! So far I've only been made aware of Udemy, Codecademy, and Treehouse. 

Honestly I don't think the course/class matters. Really the way I know most people in my field of learned is just playing around/trying as many projects as you can; you really teach yourself through trial and error

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Honestly I don't think the course/class matters. Really the way I know most people in my field of learned is just playing around/trying as many projects as you can; you really teach yourself through trial and error

Yeah this has been my experience. I learn by doing. Following tutorials only helps so much... it's getting into something and making a mess that actually drives the points home. When I taught, some of my students- all they needed was Lynda and one demo and they were golden. Others only got it if I sat with them and showed them in context (that's more how I learn, too). I do know the basics of the languages, some do's and dont's in organization and such, but I'm just as clueless if you gave me a stylesheet to edit as I was before I put 30 some hours into tutorials. My good friend is a front end dev at MailChimp- she says I should just get on github and try to make something. 

I’ve had a young carpenter doing the important skilled aspects of my ongoing renovation. Reliable, talented, honest...can’t recommend him highly enough.

He works on his own and is in demand, but refuses to hire help, won’t advertise and only accepts jobs through personal referrals. When I asked him about it, he says he likes doing what he does the way he does for people he likes to work with and he doesn’t want clutter up his life dealing with headaches and a—holes.

Hardly the traditional American Dream, but I was thinking about him as I read this - “I found the best burger place in America. And then I killed it” - the finest piece of journalism I’ve been privileged to read in quite some time.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/stanichs-closed-will-it-reopen-burger-quest

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’ve had a young carpenter doing the important skilled aspects of my ongoing renovation. Reliable, talented, honest...can’t recommend him highly enough.

He works on his own and is in demand, but refuses to hire help, won’t advertise and only accepts jobs through personal referrals. When I asked him about it, he says he likes doing what he does the way he does for people he likes to work with and he doesn’t want clutter up his life dealing with headaches and a—holes.

Hardly the traditional American Dream, but I was thinking about him as I read this - “I found the best burger place in America. And then I killed it” - the finest piece of journalism I’ve been privileged to read in quite some time.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/stanichs-closed-will-it-reopen-burger-quest

Damn, that's a great read.  It's interesting though because some restaurants pay to get on those lists just so they can have too many people.  I wouldn't blame anyone but our society which feasts on being told what to do and constantly making decisions based on what others think is a great idea rather than researching and taking our own risks.  Worse yet, when that "great idea" turns out not to fit the person they blame whoever told them about it.

I've visited some restaurants that are on "lists".  I don't go out of my way to find them but if they are on the way I might try and stop.  Most of them have not had the problem that Stanich's had.  Thankfully.

Thanks for sharing, and the carpenter you have is a keeper.  Working only from referrals means he'll do the job right or not have a job to do.

Today is the anniversary of the Saturday Night Live Great Purge.

OUT:  Radner, Murray, Franken, Curtin, Morris, Shearer.

IN (have to use first names for most of this group):  Denny Dillon, Gottfried, Gail Matthius, Piscopo, Ann Risley and Charles Rocket.

It's like the SNL version of the 2014 Sabres.

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Today is the anniversary of the Saturday Night Live Great Purge.

OUT:  Radner, Murray, Franken, Curtin, Morris, Shearer.

IN (have to use first names for most of this group):  Denny Dillon, Gottfried, Gail Matthius, Piscopo, Ann Risley and Charles Rocket.

It's like the SNL version of the 2014 Sabres.

What do you think about today's SNL lineup?

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

What do you think about today's SNL lineup?

I think it's on too late for me!

I've seen a few skits--not all political--and they're generally really funny.  The guy subbing as a Rangers rink-side announcer is great, and the guy who plays Putin is freaking hilarious.

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Just saw an older black gentleman with a younger very pretty Asian woman in Porto, they had a child together, it may be the first time I've personally ever seen a black Asian baby. They seemed happy lol 

You don't watch golf? Cuz there has been a black Asian baby patrolling the links for 25 years now. 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, inkman said:

You don't watch golf? Cuz there has been a black Asian baby patrolling the links for 25 years now. 

Is this tiger you speak of? Lol, I actually didn't even think about him, this baby looked more Asian than tiger, just weird in all my travels this stuck out to me as fairly new. Maybe I need to people watch more 

Scene: wife and I are in the kitchen, I just finished with the dishes and am drying my hands. She's getting ready to make a quick batch of Christmas cookies. 

Wife: reading the Betty crocker package aloud "warning, do not consume uncooked cookie dough."

Me/wife: "***** you!"

? She's my favorite person.

17 hours ago, ubkev said:

Scene: wife and I are in the kitchen, I just finished with the dishes and am drying my hands. She's getting ready to make a quick batch of Christmas cookies. 

Wife: reading the Betty crocker package aloud "warning, do not consume uncooked cookie dough."

Me/wife: "***** you!"

? She's my favorite person.

Awesome!!

That said, I have never understood the fascination with uncooked cookie dough.  I mean really, it's rather gross, but I have a very delicate constitution.

After reading every article on tsn, nhl, sabres, espn, and diebytheblade that I could find, watching the full shootout vs the Jets, both condensed games 3 times each, and staring at the standings periodically for the last 2 hours, I've officially run out of Sabres content, and I'm desperately needing some more

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

After reading every article on tsn, nhl, sabres, espn, and diebytheblade that I could find, watching the full shootout vs the Jets, both condensed games 3 times each, and staring at the standings periodically for the last 2 hours, I've officially run out of Sabres content, and I'm desperately needing some more

Are you not in Atlanta?

You need to get a life, man.  Now, don't take that the wrong way, you know.  I like you and all, but man ...