The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

7 hours ago, N S said:

I will be going to my second Muslim funeral this afternoon.

It is for a very nice woman, who was one of the first Muslims to come to Halifax, along with her husband, over 50 years ago.  Very nice family.

Her husband has not been well for some time ... he is 93 years old ... and she was his primary care person.  Apparently, she went out into their yard Friday afternoon sometime to get some air.  Seems like she fell ... heart attach, stoke ????? ... and lay there until she was found around 9:00 PM.  Rushed to the hospital and she was in a coma.  She died yesterday afternoon at 2:30 PM.

Here is the interesting (?) part and where I can impart some knowledge concerning Islam.

In Islam we do not embalm.  A dead person must be buried within 24 hours and usually they buried where ever they pass away.  For this reason, we always informed local Imams that we are Muslims when ever and where ever we travelled, just in case.

The funeral is very short ... about a 10 minute special Prayer ... and then the burial.  The Prayer is at 1:30 PM this afternoon and the burial is at 2:00 PM ... within the 24 hours.

All we do to prepare for burial is to wash the body ... it is a very special ceremonial washing ... wrap the body in a simple shroud and the body is placed in a simple crate for transport.  The body, just wrapped in the shroud, is buried in a standard depth and width grave, which is often unmarked.

I will be missing some of the football match, but many things are more important than football and this is one of them.

Sorry to hear of your community's loss.

Interesting info. Burial customs are certainly different across various cultures. I think we tend to get a little crazy here in the Christian world. What you do seems more my speed. 

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Saddened to read that your community lost a founding member.

Thanks.  The family was a big part of our Halifax community in general and the Muslim community specifically.

22 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Sorry to hear of your community's loss.

Interesting info. Burial customs are certainly different across various cultures. I think we tend to get a little crazy here in the Christian world. What you do seems more my speed. 

Thanks.  There was a huge turnout of Muslims and non-Muslims, as the family was very well liked and respected by everyone.

There are more and more 'green' options available that are really following the lead of the Muslim and Jewish communities.  Muslims and Jews handle their departed members in much the same way.

One thing, in my original post it may have seemed that the body in the shroud are buried without the simple casket.  That is not what I meant and the shrouded body is buried in the simple wood box.

2 hours ago, N S said:

Thanks.  The family was a big part of our Halifax community in general and the Muslim community specifically.

Thanks.  There was a huge turnout of Muslims and non-Muslims, as the family was very well liked and respected by everyone.

There are more and more 'green' options available that are really following the lead of the Muslim and Jewish communities.  Muslims and Jews handle their departed members in much the same way.

One thing, in my original post it may have seemed that the body in the shroud are buried without the simple casket.  That is not what I meant and the shrouded body is buried in the simple wood box.

The "buried wherever they pass away" part confuses me a little.

11 hours ago, N S said:

I will be going to my second Muslim funeral this afternoon.

It is for a very nice woman, who was one of the first Muslims to come to Halifax, along with her husband, over 50 years ago.  Very nice family.

Her husband has not been well for some time ... he is 93 years old ... and she was his primary care person.  Apparently, she went out into their yard Friday afternoon sometime to get some air.  Seems like she fell ... heart attach, stoke ????? ... and lay there until she was found around 9:00 PM.  Rushed to the hospital and she was in a coma.  She died yesterday afternoon at 2:30 PM.

Here is the interesting (?) part and where I can impart some knowledge concerning Islam.

In Islam we do not embalm.  A dead person must be buried within 24 hours and usually they buried where ever they pass away.  For this reason, we always informed local Imams that we are Muslims when ever and where ever we travelled, just in case.

The funeral is very short ... about a 10 minute special Prayer ... and then the burial.  The Prayer is at 1:30 PM this afternoon and the burial is at 2:00 PM ... within the 24 hours.

All we do to prepare for burial is to wash the body ... it is a very special ceremonial washing ... wrap the body in a simple shroud and the body is placed in a simple crate for transport.  The body, just wrapped in the shroud, is buried in a standard depth and width grave, which is often unmarked.

I will be missing some of the football match, but many things are more important than football and this is one of them.

Sorry for your loss. I'm always intrigued to read about different culture's and religious rituals. Learn something new every day. 

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The "buried wherever they pass away" part confuses me a little.

See what Taro sez below ...

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Thought he meant that they don't transport the corpse back to "home" when a Muslim passes while travelling.

Generally this is the case, although some of the victims of the Quebec City shooting did have their bodies transported to their countries of birth for burial, but that is not the norm, nor following the teachings / traditions of Islam.

10 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Sorry for your loss. I'm always intrigued to read about different culture's and religious rituals. Learn something new every day. 

Thank you.  And you are welcome.

41 minutes ago, N S said:

See what Taro sez below ...

Generally this is the case, although some of the victims of the Quebec City shooting did have their bodies transported to their countries of birth for burial, but that is not the norm, nor following the teachings / traditions of Islam.

Not to be too morbid, but if a Muslim dies in a car crash in the middle of the Kansas, the family just tries to find the nearest cemetery? Does it have to be a "Muslim cemetery"? Aren't there times burial within 24 hours is not practical?

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Not to be too morbid, but if a Muslim dies in a car crash in the middle of the Kansas, the family just tries to find the nearest cemetery? Does it have to be a "Muslim cemetery"? Aren't there times burial within 24 hours is not practical?

Yes.  

That said, there are enough Muslims everywhere that if they run a Mosque of any sort, one of the first orders of business, is to secure a plot of land that will be suitable for burials.  Now, that may not be the case in the middle of Kansas, where there is basically nothing, but wide open spaces.  On the other hand transportation is usually available to get a body to 'somewhere' within the 24 hour window, or pretty close.

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Like if a muslim astronaut dies on the international space station.  Good luck figuring out that one.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, N S said:

Yes.  

That said, there are enough Muslims everywhere that if they run a Mosque of any sort, one of the first orders of business, is to secure a plot of land that will be suitable for burials.  Now, that may not be the case in the middle of Kansas, where there is basically nothing, but wide open spaces.  On the other hand transportation is usually available to get a body to 'somewhere' within the 24 hour window, or pretty close.

Why is 24 hours important? Why not 48?

shrader and I will gladly test NS' patience here.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

Like if a muslim astronaut dies on the international space station.  Good luck figuring out that one.

No problem, my friend.  Just shoot him, or her, right out the hatch.  They would have about 23 hours and 55 minutes to spare.

15 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why is 24 hours important? Why not 48?

shrader and I will gladly test NS' patience here.

Well, I think you know the answer to that question, right?

On 7/16/2018 at 1:15 PM, N S said:

No problem, my friend.  Just shoot him, or her, right out the hatch.  They would have about 23 hours and 55 minutes to spare.

No, that's why I asked.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, N S said:

It would be wild to be blasted into space when I die. Or morbid. I can't tell which. 

A vacuum-sealed, preserved corpse drifting aimlessly through space for the rest of the universe's existence. Could you imagine another civilization coming across it? Or the fright I'd put into Musk's Mars astronauts as I smash into their front viewing window on the way?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

The best place to put that is nowhere.

That guy is annoying and unfunny.

Well, you've got your head up a chicken's arse, so I'm not sure you are an authority on where things should go OR what is unfunny.  ?

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

The best place to put that is nowhere.

That guy is annoying and unfunny.

Well, he wasn't laugh out loud funny, but I found him mildly amusing. People do get awful nervy when it comes to their nostalgia.

4 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Well, he wasn't laugh out loud funny, but I found him mildly amusing. People do get awful nervy when it comes to their nostalgia.

I didn't even watch the video.  I've seen him in other things though and he tries way too hard to be funny.