The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Finally, Covid in our household. My wife said her allergies were kicking up because of all the ragweed in the air. I suggested she test and she was sure it was just allergies. Then this evening she started coughing so she tested and, she's positive. It says it might take up to 15 minutes but it tested positive instantly.

I took a test and I'm negative.

Take it again in 3-5 days.  

• Like (+1) 1

So, I bought 225 caps to get the one i needed.

Replaced this one.

F38918EA-C050-46AA-8A99-516C38C86BEC.thumb.jpeg.17026d3851e31673f69d665c6f588c31.jpeg

Now my wife has new speakers in her studio.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻
DABA199F-42D6-45CC-8BF3-F8FA20EFE19D.thumb.jpeg.f5576630d7171501f82527d324a401c7.jpeg

So, next question (and try to reply in the Q+A group to not clutter this thread and get me in trouble.)

Edited by SwampD

On 9/10/2022 at 5:01 PM, SwampD said:

Now my wife has new speakers in her studio.👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻
DABA199F-42D6-45CC-8BF3-F8FA20EFE19D.thumb.jpeg.f5576630d7171501f82527d324a401c7.jpeg

Looks like she's accustomed to working with small.... equipment.

😉

On 9/10/2022 at 5:43 AM, Weave said:

Take it again in 3-5 days.  

Yep.  Retook it today.  I feel like ***** but it's still a negative result.  I'm guessing by the end of the week it will tip over to positive.  Meanwhile my Paxlovid-addled wife is slowly improving.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Basically feels like a headcold:  Headache, runny nose, coughing, sore throat, perpetually tired.  I didn't want to get dehydrated so I downed a Gatorade and now I can get to sleep but wake up every hour to pee.  I'm taking OTC cold medicine and it alleviates the symptoms.

Throat Coat Tea was my best friend during this. That stuff is great. 

• Like (+1) 2

One day of Paxlovid left, tonight and tomorrow morning.   And really.... that stuff works.  I pretty much feel well; the only thing is that my stamina isn't fully back yet.

The fact that there is a relatively inexpensive (free to the user either from insurance or from the government here in the U.S.; I looked for the actual cost and it is about $500), readily available treatment that limits the time sick largely eliminates hospitalizations (supposedly by more than 90%), to me, means that the pandemic is largely over.  Gone are the days of morgues expanding their capacities with refrigerated trailers.  When I was sick I kept to myself and plan to do so a bit longer, but other than that it's back to living life. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

One day of Paxlovid left, tonight and tomorrow morning.   And really.... that stuff works.  I pretty much feel well; the only thing is that my stamina isn't fully back yet.

The fact that there is a relatively inexpensive (free to the user either from insurance or from the government here in the U.S.; I looked for the actual cost and it is about $500), readily available treatment that limits the time sick largely eliminates hospitalizations (supposedly by more than 90%), to me, means that the pandemic is largely over.  Gone are the days of morgues expanding their capacities with refrigerated trailers.  When I was sick I kept to myself and plan to do so a bit longer, but other than that it's back to living life. 

A lot to unpack.

1. I am glad you are doing well.

2. The president went beyond "largely over" and said the pandemic IS over. That'll have to be weighed against 500 deaths a day even before we get into fall and winter.

3. "Back to living life." The majority of Americans have been doing that for most of the pandemic. Many never did a damned thing to protect themselves or others. Doohickie I presume you did protect yourself because of an underlying condition. Why change now? Paxlovid might or might not be there in the future. Watching local transmission (yes, easier said than done), masking in certain settings when transmission is high, getting boosters more often than healthy people... all should be in your future and none of them will keep you from "living life."

Access to Paxlovid could be a debate. I was put on it on Saturday immediately after testing positive. I have a doctor. I have a way of contacting the doctor on the weekend, and a doctor who responded. I live close to a pharmacy. I know what Paxlovid is. We both take all of that for granted. It won't be true for everyone.

Edited by PASabreFan
Fog game

My trip to Denver has been, odd.

The trip out wasn’t terrible. It was late Monday and the delays afforded me chance to watch the game.  (Feck yes!) Unfortunately the delays got me there at 2 am, then Uber let me down. I am lucky that another service has an app to Lyft you up.

I’m at the downtown Hilton. This city is like a parking garage farm. If you don’t have a car parked in one of those numerous garages then you are stuck with hotel fodder or 16th street. 

Yesterday was ok on 16th. I definitely noticed the homeless crowd (crowd! I’m guessing they live in the garage farm) but it was 90 and the tourist travel was heavy. 

Today was 55 and drizzle and 16th was a nightmare of belligerence. The warning about “walking away” from people there became real. 

They obviously wouldn’t badger an Ogre like me but the young solo woman a few yards ahead of me was getting verbally hammered so I jogged a bit to catch up and pretended I knew her to stop these beasts. 

JC, I’ve seen and interacted with homeless all over this continent (Canada included) but this was very odd.

I saw impunity.

When I googled the 16th St Market I learned that someone was beaten with a pipe there a few weeks ago. 

I was chatting with the valet while waiting for my Lyft (he was drawn to my Bills cap like a moth to flame) and asked him how long 16th had been like that. 
He said for a few years. He claims that it’s a band of derelicts and that last night they had tossed a big rock through a lobby window across the street.

Later, while sitting at a bar in a hotel at the airport (because JetBlue) I heard these young women ask the bartender about things to do in Denver. 

She mentioned the 16th St Market to them but I felt compelled and warned those young ladies. I expressed that I didn’t want to discourage but felt that I needed to warn them about what to expect.

Edited by Ogre
Grammar

Mrs. iT had surgery this morning to remove one of the plates from her face.

The screw retaining it was placed through the tear duct, causing a 24/7 leak in that eye. No fault to the surgeon. She is the most awesome human on planet Earth and performed beyond expectations.

This particular break was were it was. The screw needed to be there and the tear duct needed to be blocked for the bones to heal.

The plate and offending screw are out. The tear duct has been “roto-reutered” (quoting the surgeon) and a stent placed to keep it open. 

If she keeps up this tough-assed-son-of-a-bitched progress then I’ll never be able to look a complainer in the eyes ever again.

Sure, I’ve had gruesome surgeries in magnitude to her, but she isn’t an Ogre like me and she is thriving in her new “role”.

Tough like me. I love this girl.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@That Aud Smell's mention of Roger Ebert brought my thumbs down joke, but it's been so long, i questioned whether it was really Ebert's thing. So I googled Ebert, confirmed the thumb, and clicked on a link of his most hated movies. Therein, there was another link about how a director confronted Ebert in a bathroom about a very very negative review. Great little piece, and all because Smell mentioned the man. The Internet is something, especially for those of us who grew up without it.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/roger-and-me

Finally found the place under the fence the coyote is getting in at. Do you think he knows there's a camera there now?

image.thumb.png.37c68213228cc9eaafb32551c9a7b5f2.png

I believe this is the same one that killed my neighbor's sheep two weeks ago and killed a goat on Saturday. I've seen him by our chicken coop twice now. I feel guilty the neighbor's lost the goat because I had him in dead to rights Thursday night but didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't just the neighbor's new dog. It was 150+ yards at night using a red light for illumination and he was moving through tall grass. I wasn't going to pull the trigger without being 100% certain I knew what I was shooting. I watched him crossing the pasture and I moved spots to get a better view, but in doing so I triggered my motion-sensor floodlight and he booked it. Rookie mistake.

Anyway, going to set a snare on the fence line and see if I can get him that way. Also, I'm pretty sure snares aren't legal in NY--so just to avoid confusion I want to add I'm in Texas where this is perfectly legal.

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Finally found the place under the fence the coyote is getting in at. Do you think he knows there's a camera there now?

image.thumb.png.37c68213228cc9eaafb32551c9a7b5f2.png

I believe this is the same one that killed my neighbor's sheep two weeks ago and killed a goat on Saturday. I've seen him by our chicken coop twice now. I feel guilty the neighbor's lost the goat because I had him in dead to rights Thursday night but didn't pull the trigger because I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't just the neighbor's new dog. It was 150+ yards at night using a red light for illumination and he was moving through tall grass. I wasn't going to pull the trigger without being 100% certain I knew what I was shooting. I watched him crossing the pasture and I moved spots to get a better view, but in doing so I triggered my motion-sensor floodlight and he booked it. Rookie mistake.

Anyway, going to set a snare on the fence line and see if I can get him that way. Also, I'm pretty sure snares aren't legal in NY--so just to avoid confusion I want to add I'm in Texas where this is perfectly legal.

100% right to not shoot until you’re sure.

Good luck.  Those ***** are wicked smart.  You’ve already warned him that you’re after him.  Cagey isn’t strong enough a word to describe them.

• Like (+1) 1

(S)he's dead, Jim.

t2.thumb.JPG.c2e33dbb05ea4ff589ce85a2a92ec730.JPG

22 hours ago, Weave said:

Good luck.  Those ***** are wicked smart.  You’ve already warned him that you’re after him.  Cagey isn’t strong enough a word to describe them.

They really are. It's funny because people think foxes are the cunning/sly ones, but (at least from my personal experience) foxes are a lot easier to deal with than coyotes. That's why I decided to set a snare at the crawl under. I didn't like the chances of getting a second go with a spotlight. Most of them learn pretty quick. From the trail camera, I knew she wasn't a first year pup that left the den this summer so she's almost certainly experienced people trying to dispatch her. She was 37 pounds so definitely a decent weight for a female coyote around here.

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

North Central Texas as in.... Wichita Falls area?

Granbury so pretty close to you. I just describe it as North Central to anyone from NY looking at a map. When I was describing where we're at as North Texas people back home thought we lived in the Panhandle.

It's kind of like telling people I'm from western NY and they just go, "oh so like upstate?"

"Sure, we'll go with that."

Of course, the inevitable next question is always "Did you go to NYC a lot?" because people don't understand the sheer size of the state or have a basic understanding of geography, apparently.

Similarly, the seven year old is playing hockey out of Mansfield (yes, we really do drive 45 miles one way to practice multiple times a week). I was explaining to my parents that the game in McKinney two weeks ago was a whole day affair because it is a shorter distance for them (east of Rochester) to drive to Harborcenter than it is for us to drive to McKinney. My parents can't grasp the concept that the DFW metroplex is that big and spread out--and they've been here a bunch.

Yeah, you might have told me Granbury in the past.  That sounds familiar.  What threw me off was when you said North Central Texas; I was thinking further west.

Show people this map of Connecticut superimposed over North Texas... that might give them a clue.  It shows Granbury and Mansfield too.  I live in Fort Worth; my son and his wife live in Plano (upper right).  It's a solid hour+ drive to see them.

tqzwlqer2d331.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Oh, and I've mentioned going to Buffalo Bros near TCU to watch the Bills games, right?