And I remember how we'd play
Simply waste the day away
Then we'd say nothing would come between us
Two dreamers

Awesome!!

But not there best work, IMO.

Give me the Night Boat to Cairo.

12 hours ago, SwampD said:

All I know is that when George was 24, his 17 yo wife was giving birth to their daughter.

These would be the approximate ages of my mother's parents at the time of their wedding.  The world changes fast.

Edited by Eleven

My job is beyond tough. It is flat out bonkers. 
24/7 

At any moment it could either crush your spirit or save your soul.

And then you do it again tomorrow, every day of the week.

I love my people, though, so I keep at it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/23/2022 at 11:26 PM, Ogre said:

I’m 100% done with my MIL. My FIL finally stepped up to tell her to chill but that sack of “can’t” couldn’t. 

She is so much less than my own mother was that I can’t even look her in the eye.

My mother was calm, smooth and strong. Endless and righteous. She organized women’s groups in the 80’s the help other women.

My MIL has never done anything for anyone. She has been blessed with the comforts of wealth but does absolutely nothing to pass it along. 

I despise her.  

I’ve been avoiding her like herpes but I do my best to be a team player. 
I agreed to dinner. Ten minutes into conversation she throws her hands into the air and announces “I’m not going to say anything!”

But, you just did.

You’ve never done anything or have ever been someone. Why should anyone listen to you?

Drink less and listen more. Read up on the topics that are being discussed.

Drink less. Or just just stop. 

I will still bare the burden of her care but I don’t want to be around her or interact with her .

She makes me feel badly.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I need a one-way plane ticket to L.A. and $7k.

1972 Chrysler Newport coupe - $7,000 (Torrance)
00X0X_iSVtS5ueqAKz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Good thing it's a coupe, if that were a sedan it might be an unwieldy length.

EDIT: The interesting part is it's not *that* much bigger than a modern car, it's the weird proportions. It's 6" wider and ~30" longer than an Accord. I think we can all see where that extra 2.5 feet could be eliminated.

The other interesting 5-minute fact I just found is a Ford Explorer is only 6" wider than an Accord, and roughly the same length. But maybe that's just the Accord being a big car, it's a little longer and the same width as a Subaru Outback.

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Salman Rushdie has been stabbed at Chautauqua.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62524922

I’m having trouble processing this.  My family had a place in the Institution for decades.  My wife and I had a place there for awhile.  I can’t fathom this kind of violence occurring in a serene, beautiful, PEACEFUL setting like the Chautauqua Institution.  I am floored.

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Holy crap! 

Yeah, it's terrible.  I've been to the Chautauqua Institute.  (I've never had the kind of money it takes to maintain an apartment there, though!)  It was always a safe space for open discussion about the arts, religion, politics.  It was kind of a fun place when one was in an intellectual mood.

Until about three hours ago.  Now it is as broken as a Tops on Jefferson or an apartment in Louisville.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I’m having trouble processing this.  My family had a place in the Institution for decades.  My wife and I had a place there for awhile.  I can’t fathom this kind of violence occurring in a serene, beautiful, PEACEFUL setting like the Chautauqua Institution.  I am floored.

It is horrible.  Horrible.  And wow--your family had a place there!  That--we must talk--is incredible.

Edited by Eleven

52 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Salman Rushdie has been stabbed at Chautauqua.  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62524922

36 minutes ago, Weave said:

Holy crap! 

This is just horrible.

Even the most militant in Iran had moved on from all the nonsense.

The book takes some liberties, but most reasonable Muslims have always thought of it as it was intended ... a well written work of fiction.

The title is controvercial in that it brings to mind the unfounded stories that have been attributed to sometime after the death of Muhammad that there were verses in the Qur'an that were removed since they were inspired not by God, but by Muhammad's desire to appease the Pegan Arabs of Mecca by saying it had been revealed to him that the worship of ancient pegan God's will be permitted by Allah and His Messenger.  This is so outrageous that it does not even need to be discussed any further

No such verses ever existed and there is no mention of them in the earliest texts from the Islamic period first published during the lifetime of Muhammad.  Western media have perpetuated these stories since the time just after the passing of Muhammad, especially during the Crusades of the Christian armies against the Muslims.

Sorry for taking this discussion in a non random way.

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

Incredibly distressing news. That is absolutely the antithesis of what Chautauqua is about. I grew up just up the road and have spent many hours there at concerts, Sunday morning services, movies, theatre, etc. The 5th standard deviations on the curve are having way too much effect on the vast majority of us and I'm talking about those at both of the far ends. A prayer said for Mr. Rushdie. 

Edited by irregularly irregular
grammar
  • Awesome! (+1) 1