The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Monarch butterflies riding the end-of-summer cold front:

image.png

That's pretty friggin cool.

Buffalo weather radar routinely picks up flocks of birds leaving roosting trees at dawn in the Iroquois wildlife refuge.  Also cool.  But this is way cooler.

• Like (+1) 1

So my boss just disapproved the project I've been working on the last few weeks. It's not unusual for him to delay his approval pending answering questions but he flat out disapproved it. I "respectfully disagreed" with his disapproval but he stood firm.

Shortly after the review meeting ended I got an award from him worth about $200 in the form of points that can be used in an online store.

It's been a strange day so far.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So my boss just disapproved the project I've been working on the last few weeks. It's not unusual for him to delay his approval pending answering questions but he flat out disapproved it. I "respectfully disagreed" with his disapproval but he stood firm.

Shortly after the review meeting ended I got an award from him worth about $200 in the form of points that can be used in an online store.

It's been a strange day so far.

Sounds like he knew you’d react the way you did and he wanted to soften the blow and let you know that you are still valued.

If that was his intent, that’s a good boss.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh, he is a great boss.  I've been under him (in one way or another) for 12 years.  In a reorg 2 years ago he became my "official" (as in does my appraisals and stuff) boss and I finally got a long overdue promotion earlier this year.  He also got me a long term incentive bonus (which means I don't get it until 3 years after it was awarded, to make sure I'm incentivized to stick around), but assuming I don't my ass fired by then, it will be about enough to pay off our mortgage.

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, Weave said:

That's pretty friggin cool.

Buffalo weather radar routinely picks up flocks of birds leaving roosting trees at dawn in the Iroquois wildlife refuge.  Also cool.  But this is way cooler.

Also registers the wind turbines on radar but I'm guessing most people knew that.

On 8/1/2021 at 10:44 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Just caught and released a mouse that somehow got into the house.  This is the second one in about 2, or 3, weeks.  Can't figure out where they are getting in.  The house seems very secure, but I know they don't need much.

I love all of Allah's creation, but some just don't belong in the house.

One of these days I'm gonna have to buy me a mouse trap, or better yet get a cat.  It's been a pretty long time since Jake passed, so it's time.

Update ... more

On 8/1/2021 at 11:12 PM, BagBoy said:

I had a mouse issue once just like yours.  It took me awhile to figure out that it/they was/were getting in through the dryer vent.  YMMV.

Seems like this was the case.  I got a 'proper' dryer vent cover through Home Depot online and installed it the other day.  No mice since.  It's been 3 days.

On 8/1/2021 at 11:25 PM, Doohickie said:

I got a two pack of the Capsure smaller version and it worked very well.  Caught one mouse the first night and a second that came in to check on his buddy left by the way he had come in (looks very much like the dryer vent).

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Update ... more

Seems like this was the case.  I got a 'proper' dryer vent cover through Home Depot online and installed it the other day.  No mice since.  It's been 3 days.

I got a two pack of the Capsure smaller version and it worked very well.  Caught one mouse the first night and a second that came in to check on his buddy left by the way he had come in (looks very much like the dryer vent).

• Like (+1) 1

Today (September 30th) has long been known as 'Orange Shirt Day' in Canada.  It was started by a grass roots movement to recognize the extremely horrific history of Canada's treatment of our Indigenous People, especially the sending of children to their graves (more commonly known as Residential Schools run by the Catholic Church).  Countless never made it home.  Just a terrible part of our past.  Some very recent past ... the last Residential School closed in 1998.  It is the shame of our nation.

This year the Federal Government made today a statutory holiday for all federal employees and federally regulated industries.  Today is the first ... National Day of Truth and Reconciliation.  I am proud to say that Nova Scotia is one of only three provinces to also recognize today as a provincial holiday.  Most businesses are closed and there are many events planned.

Today in Halifax there is a mi'kmaq (local Indigenous People) flag flying from the top of the MacDonald Bridge spanning the harbour that separates Halifax and Dartmouth.  The bridge is named in honour of our first Prime Minister who was an avowed racist and caused grief for many that never elected him.  He was also the initiator of the terrible Indian Act in 1867, which is still in effect today, although changed quite a bit.

We all no the truth of what happened ... what we did.  It is time for the reconciliation.  That flag on that bridge is part of it.  My typing this post is part of it (very small part), as it is in the forefront of my mind.  I have done some reflection today and will continue to do that.  There must be justice in order to have a final reconciliation, but we are starting.  

Another great step that is long overdue is to ensure that there is safe drinking water on all reserves.  I think we also need to give our native people more of their land back.  And not just parts we don't need, or use.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

That could just be a matter of brand?

I propose a blind taste test.

I will look for some Koska around here and then compare it blindly If I can find. That is the gold standard of Turkish Delight. 

Did you know thst Bulgaria is the world's #1 producer of rose products, oil etc. I was unaware until I got here. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Did you know thst Bulgaria is the world's #1 producer of rose products, oil etc. I was unaware until I got here. 

I did not, but I do know that Albania borders on the Adriatic and its chief export is chrome.