The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

TIL I could never foster for dogs. A stray followed my son and his dog home last night. We kept him in our yard overnight until Animal Control could come over this morning and pick him up. I already bonded with him and hated to see him go. He is such a sweet dog.

image.thumb.png.614c16018e8a0d24f9af015fffd02b45.png

He looks great.  He will find a great home.  All will end on a happy note.

19 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He looks great.  He will find a great home.  All will end on a happy note.

I follow the FB pages of Animal Control and one of the local rescues.  They've been maxed out lately and have frequent pushes to clear the shelters.  They try to be a "no kill" shelter but lately they've been swamped.  They've taken to "exporting" dogs to northern states, where the strays tend to get culled by the colder weather.

In this case though I think this guy will get adopted locally and fast if he doesn't get claimed by his owners.  I get the feeling he was a dump-off.  He prefers company of humans or other dogs and was all too ready to show his affection.  You can tell he's accustomed to company and to being in the house.  He'll bond with someone I'm pretty sure.

17 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I follow the FB pages of Animal Control and one of the local rescues.  They've been maxed out lately and have frequent pushes to clear the shelters.  They try to be a "no kill" shelter but lately they've been swamped.  They've taken to "exporting" dogs to northern states, where the strays tend to get culled by the colder weather.

In this case though I think this guy will get adopted locally and fast if he doesn't get claimed by his owners.  I get the feeling he was a dump-off.  He prefers company of humans or other dogs and was all too ready to show his affection.  You can tell he's accustomed to company and to being in the house.  He'll bond with someone I'm pretty sure.

I hear you.  I hate that some bad stuff happens sometimes.

Our new neighbour recently (6 months ago) adopted a rescued dog (a puppy mill mother) that actually came from Texas.  We have a shortage of adoption dogs and cats here now.  The local spay and neuter plan for strays seems to have worked very well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I hear you.  I hate that some bad stuff happens sometimes.

Our new neighbour recently (6 months ago) adopted a rescued dog (a puppy mill mother) that actually came from Texas.  We have a shortage of adoption dogs and cats here now.  The local spay and neuter plan for strays seems to have worked very well.

Well, that & the coyotes.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, that & the coyotes.

Coyotes are only plentiful out here in the 'country'.  30 minutes away in the 'city' there are none, but they are venturing closer to the fringe suburbs, which have enough 'wild' areas to support their incursions on a nightly basis.  So, you are right about out here, but they probably don't have much impact yet in the city.  I have not seen one stray house cat, or dog, out here.  There is one 'homeless' beautiful cat here, but he is not really 'homeless' he just wanders from home to home at his leasure.  Beautiful orange tabby.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
more goodly typing ...

On 9/16/2021 at 9:33 AM, Doohickie said:

TIL I could never foster for dogs. A stray followed my son and his dog home last night. We kept him in our yard overnight until Animal Control could come over this morning and pick him up. I already bonded with him and hated to see him go. He is such a sweet dog.

image.thumb.png.614c16018e8a0d24f9af015fffd02b45.png

This is tearing me apart: The dog showed up on Pawboost last night: https://www.pawboost.com/landing/pet/MtXB4tNJYaQHYYTeHVE-SnJssVKjKmos/lost-buddy-fort-worth-tx-76133 but the only contact info is a temporary Pawboost email. I sent them an email and told them the dog was at Animal Control and even found his listing in the database and sent it to them: https://ws.petango.com/webservices/adoptablesearch/wsAdoptableAnimalDetails.aspx?id=48669432&css=http://fortworthtexas.gov/animals/css/animal-styles.css (Meet 48669432)

I also tried to send the Pawboost info to FWACC but they don't open the adoption center until noon, so the best I could do was send them a message through their FB page. Grrr. It's so frustrating to know someone's looking for the dog but not be able to directly talk to anyone.

• Sad 1

Follow-up:  Animal Control showed "Buddy" as no longer in the system as of Saturday, and Pawboost shows him as Safe/Reunited, so I'm guessing all's well that ends well.

Meanwhile in Texas, this morning's visitor:  She built a web across my sliding glass door and I think she was trying to spell out SOME PIG

image.thumb.png.b0c8fd7da25cb1f1ed41b569a49c1b55.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Follow-up:  Animal Control showed "Buddy" as no longer in the system as of Saturday, and Pawboost shows him as Safe/Reunited, so I'm guessing all's well that ends well.

Meanwhile in Texas, this morning's visitor:  She built a web across my sliding glass door and I think she was trying to spell out SOME PIG

Great news and great photo.

Next time stick your thumb in it for perspective, eh.

I'm guessing 6.5 inches.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Never knew they called you Wilbur.  😉

If your wife's name is Fern, that's just friggin' spooky.

• Haha (+1) 1

Speaking of spiders, I finally re-home a spider that had been living in the right-side mirror in my car for the last year or two. Could never catch it "out" so I'd knock down the web regularly and it'd always be back the next day. Got home around dusk in the other car, and see it just getting started on its building project. Maybe an inch diameter with the legs, odd grey color. Pretty sure this is it: https://www.cirrusimage.com/spider-furrow-orbweaver/

5 hours ago, MattPie said:

Speaking of spiders, I finally re-home a spider that had been living in the right-side mirror in my car for the last year or two. Could never catch it "out" so I'd knock down the web regularly and it'd always be back the next day. Got home around dusk in the other car, and see it just getting started on its building project. Maybe an inch diameter with the legs, odd grey color. Pretty sure this is it: https://www.cirrusimage.com/spider-furrow-orbweaver/

Spring and Fall are orbweaver season around here, an in you can't go for a walk after late afternoon without walking through a few webs. I try to remember to war a hat to keep them off my face.

13 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Spring and Fall are orbweaver season around here, an in you can't go for a walk after late afternoon without walking through a few webs. I try to remember to war a hat to keep them off my face.

I do the ever graceful walk like an Egyptian pose so they hit my arm. I'm relatively tall, so getting webs in my face is a year-round activity for me in the woods.

• Like (+1) 1