The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

I brought a necklace into the jeweler to be repaired today. They had to send it out. So we're going over the fine points of liability and whatnot, and the clerk asks me what it's worth. I have no idea. It's a gift. I've had it since baptism. I'm all shoulder shrugs. "Idk, 20" box chain, maybe $200?" The jeweler was standing nearby, didn't even look up from the paperwork he was doing, and says "$700, easy." 

Get the ***** outta here! I'd have never worn this a day in my life if I knew it was worth so much. Looks like I need a sefe deposit box now.

There’s a carpenter apprentice on my job that is a doppelgänger for Casey Middlestadt. 

I called him out on it and he admitted to having a Middlestadt sweater and taking pics with people that think he’s Casey.

Double fist bumps to you young man!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm all alone for about a week.  Just me and the dogs.

I drove up north with the wife visiting my family in Buffalo and hers in Albany.  I had to come back for work though so I flew back.  My son is flying up to Albany tomorrow to drive back with her.  He drove up to my other son's place which is closer to the airport he's flying out of and will get a ride to the airport with him.  He left about an hour ago.

He and my wife should be back home in about a week or so.

Just caught and released a mouse that somehow got into the house.  This is the second one in about 2, or 3, weeks.  Can't figure out where they are getting in.  The house seems very secure, but I know they don't need much.

I love all of Allah's creation, but some just don't belong in the house.

One of these days I'm gonna have to buy me a mouse trap, or better yet get a cat.  It's been a pretty long time since Jake passed, so it's time.

23 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Just caught and released a mouse that somehow got into the house.  This is the second one in about 2, or 3, weeks.  Can't figure out where they are getting in.  The house seems very secure, but I know they don't need much.

One of these days I'm gonna have to buy me a mouse trap, or better yet get a cat.  It's been a pretty long time since Jake passed, so it's time.

I had a mouse issue once just like yours.  It took me awhile to figure out that it/they was/were getting in through the dryer vent.  YMMV.

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

https://how-to-get-rid-of-mice.com/humane-mouse-traps/

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

I had a mouse issue once just like yours.  It took me awhile to figure out that it/they was/were getting in through the dryer vent.  YMMV.

Damn!!

Our dryer vent is in a place that could be accessable.  We have one of those cheapo plastic covers oner it that just snaps in place, so it's easy to take off and clean out.

My wife saw a squirrel trying to get into it, so I duck taped it on and ordered a fancy big one to go over the whole works.  It just arrived, so I know what I'll be doing this holiday Monday.

32 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Today I learned, thanks to your user name, that Nova Scotia is Latin for New Scotland. Everybody probably knew this, but I think the pronunciation threw me for 47 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

Today I learned, thanks to your user name, that Nova Scotia is Latin for New Scotland. Everybody probably knew this, but I think the pronunciation threw me for 47 years.

And before the Scots took it over it was Frenchy and used to be called Acadia.  Some of the Frenchies who got crowded out by the Scots moved down to Louisiana and got lazy on the pronunciation of "Acadians" so eventually they just shortened it to "Cajuns."  There, something else you probably didn't know.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

And before the Scots took it over it was Frenchy and used to be called Acadia.  Some of the Frenchies who got crowded out by the Scots moved down to Louisiana and got lazy on the pronunciation of "Acadians" so eventually they just shortened it to "Cajuns."  There, something else you probably didn't know.

Also correct.

By the time Nova Scotia became New Scotland the French were all expelled.  The history of this area is not the greatest, but no different than many other parts of North America.

At least the French tried to coexist (as far as I know) with the native population.  There were far fewer French people here.  By the time the English took over they were determined to make it a disaster for everyone else.

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I hear you.  I'm way to old for that kind of junk.  My wife being away would make no difference.

I'll be 59 this year.  When I'm the only person home it means time to hang out with the dogs.

And read all of the Jack Eichel trade thread.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

And all them Mormons in Utah got kicked out of Palmyra, NY.  And then some "genius" let Jim McMahon QB for their football team.  Not sure how this all relates to the Great Salt Lake being at historically low water levels nor what it has to do w/ etouffee and fried gator being some seriously good Cajun eating, but there has to be something in there that at least somebody didn't know.  😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1