The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

There used to be a book reading thread here, but I can't find it.

Anyway, it's time for my once every 10 year, or so, attempt at 'A Brief History of Time'.  I have made several attempts, but never finished it.

Mr. Hawking's brain was no bigger than mine, but he did manage to cram so much more into his.  It's not that he uses real big words, but the concepts are quite beyong me and probably most people.  I am 30 pages in and feel good about this attempt.

10 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

There used to be a book reading thread here, but I can't find it.

Anyway, it's time for my once every 10 year, or so, attempt at 'A Brief History of Time'.  I have made several attempts, but never finished it.

Mr. Hawking's brain was no bigger than mine, but he did manage to cram so much more into his.  It's not that he uses real big words, but the concepts are quite beyong me and probably most people.  I am 30 pages in and feel good about this attempt.

Probably because it's all a bunch of baloney.

On 5/31/2021 at 11:22 PM, #freejame said:

I'll maintain the flow of traffic and i remember a caravan of probably 15 cars all going 90 plus with a cop following us just minding his own business. The curves are also a blast. Every time I drive through Pittsburgh it always slightly reminds me of the excitement of driving into DC.

Sounds like driving through Nashville.

15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What?

Science is not baloney.  And Mr. Hawking did not say that science does not mean no God.

In fact, she blinded me with science ... 😎

Science!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I really need a good office chair. It’s the most important piece of gear in my studio. I’ll pay up for it. Anyone have a suggestion?

There are a few different Herman Miller office chairs that are pricey but very solid and well made and adjustable in a bunch of different ways to appeal to one’s aching bones.  

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I really need a good office chair. It’s the most important piece of gear in my studio. I’ll pay up for it. Anyone have a suggestion?

I used one of these for about 12 years:  https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/think/  The leather model.  Yes, it's expensive.  But I used it for twelve years.  Set it right and you'll have no back problems, too.

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

There are a few different Herman Miller office chairs that are pricey but very solid and well made and adjustable in a bunch of different ways to appeal to one’s aching bones.  

Yeah. I like the build but not the fit, but to be honest, I think I’ve only ever sat in a small. Might have to go to a showroom, now that I can.

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

I used one of these for about 12 years:  https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/think/  The leather model.  Yes, it's expensive.  But I used it for twelve years.  Set it right and you'll have no back problems, too.

Ah, forgot about Steelcase.

Edited by SwampD

I played in a charity golf tournament today and realized on my approach to the first green that I left my pitching wedge and 6 iron at home.

I improvised with my sand wedge. Then I tried the 9 iron next hole and settled on the sand.

Ended up being one of my better rounds. I suspect that I buckled down a little more on the tee in anticipation. 

Or maybe I should use the sand wedge more? There were a lot of steep approaches to the green and it did help me elevate the ball.

Didn’t miss the 6 at all.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, inkman said:

My boss just scheduled a meeting for 4 pm today.  I came in at 6am.  He doesn’t know this.  I can’t really complain or tell him I can’t make it as I’m vying for a promotion.  I’m absolutely livid. 

The other night I had to work til 6pm then come right back in at 2am. At 5:57 the phone rang, and I had to go pay out the poker room Bad Beat Jackpot. It's only 14 pieces of paperwork between 7 different people and all of their tax information. *****, I wanted to murder the poker supervisor who made that call. All they had to do was wait 3 minutes. (The manager relieving me came out and cut me loose after 45 minutes of paperwork and phone calls.)